Reload this Page >

Moving to LA end of July - Advice Needed PLEASE

Moving to LA end of July - Advice Needed PLEASE

Old Jun 3rd 2010, 11:03 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to LA end of July - Advice Needed PLEASE

Originally Posted by rachmono

Any links to where I need to start with regard to moving myself and two children to LA by the end of July (my husband goes this Sunday). Have no idea where to start first (the company will be arranging our visas). Am really looking for any practical advice. Any responses would be very much appreciated!
Will your husband be commuting to LA? as his company is based there?
If you can, try and live just on the outskirts. I love LA but the traffic!! (it makes the M25 look like a walk in the park)
six lanes, gridlocked both sides all the time
for ideas and areas you could try city -data forum, that has a wealth of info there. (as I have discovered)
good luck with the move
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 3:05 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
Will your husband be commuting to LA? as his company is based there?
If you can, try and live just on the outskirts. I love LA but the traffic!! (it makes the M25 look like a walk in the park)
for ideas and areas you could try city -data forum, that has a wealth of info there. (as I have discovered)
good luck with the move
I can still get through LA traffic faster than I could ever get into Leeds on a work day morning, and drivers are much less aggresive. I find driving in LA is fairly laid back, the volume of cars still amazes me, but unless you are Downtown its not gridlocked all the time, it's busy all the time but that is very different.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I can still get through LA traffic faster than I could ever get into Leeds on a work day morning, and drivers are much less aggresive. I find driving in LA is fairly laid back, the volume of cars still amazes me, but unless you are Downtown its not gridlocked all the time, it's busy all the time but that is very different.

Another ill-informed post by this member.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 3:28 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachmono

Any links to where I need to start with regard to moving myself and two children to LA by the end of July (my husband goes this Sunday). Have no idea where to start first (the company will be arranging our visas). Am really looking for any practical advice. Any responses would be very much appreciated!
I'm telling ya...skip LA all together and move to San Diego, always room for a few more brits here...

(so long as you aint welsh, scottish or irish..
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 4:08 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

Another ill-informed post by this member.
Oooh, has he rubbed you up the wrong way.

I thought you meant me for a moment, I only saw the quote and the last line
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky

I thought you meant me for a moment, I only saw the quote and the last line
sorry
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
sorry
It's probably true in some other posts, I'm fairly confident on my line here though.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 5:13 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

when ever im wrong (as im sure we can always be)
Im the first to say, 'my bad' or 'sorry' or 'oops i was wrong'
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:08 pm
Banned

Hank.C is an unknown quantity at this point

As someone has said above, LA is huge sprawling city with many sub-cities interconnect with each other. While LA has its fine share of nice and swank neighborhood (e.g. Rancho Palo Verdes, West Hollywood, Beverly Hill, Santa Monica, Malibu, Manhattan/Hermosa Beach,Marina Del Rey, Pasadena, San Marino, Arcadia....), it also has many poor, dicey, crime-ridden areas (e.g. basically the entire Downtown and South LA except for Little Tokyo and Bunker Hill area , cities like Inglewood, Compton, Lincoln Heights, East LA, Watts, El Monte, Baldwin Park, Wilmington, Pico Rivera, Hawaiian Garden and manymany others)and unfortunately the latter seems to cover a larger area than the former. Even within a city, for example Long Beach, certain section of the area are very ghetto and infested with all kind of gangbangers and some area are glamorous like what you are seeing in the Hollywood movie.