Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security Number

Social Security Number

Old Jun 4th 2010, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Chris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud of
Default Social Security Number

I have just filled out my application for my SSN...

I'm here on a K1... read that if I don't have work authorisation and I'm not a citizen then I need proof of a reason for wanting one... just wondering what this might be?
Also says can't be to get a driving license... am I just being dumb?
Old Jun 4th 2010, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Chris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud of
Default Re: Social Security Number

Never mind... found the answer
Old Jun 4th 2010, 2:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris_UK2WI
I have just filled out my application for my SSN...

I'm here on a K1... read that if I don't have work authorisation and I'm not a citizen then I need proof of a reason for wanting one... just wondering what this might be?
Also says can't be to get a driving license... am I just being dumb?
Not sure what you are reading...can you post a link?

If you enter as a K-1, you can apply for your SSN about 10 days after arrival. The only reason for waiting is so your name will be in the system SS uses to check your immigration status. All you need is the SSN application, your passport, K-1 visa, and I-94. You don't need a reason for wanting a SSN.

If you wait too long, and you are within 2 weeks of your I-94 expiration, THEN you will need your EAD in hand in order to apply for the SSN.

Whether you can get a drivers license depends on your state's requirements and whether you have the appropriate documents at the time of application. You'll have to check to see what your DMV requirements are.

Rene
Old Jun 4th 2010, 2:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah...too late, I already posted it. LOL

Rene
Old Jun 4th 2010, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

hehe thanks anyway