Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Kirkland/Seattle, WA - advice needed, please?

Moving to Kirkland/Seattle, WA - advice needed, please?

Old Feb 20th 2009, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Kirkland/Seattle, WA - advice needed, please?

Originally Posted by Kaffy
Hi, I live in Kirkland and I love it here on the eastside. There are some Seattle neighbourhoods I also like (such as Ballard and Greenlake) but if you're husband's work will be in Kirkland, then stick to the east - you'll save him the hassle of commuting across 520.
That's the basic choice. Commute versus social life. That's what it comes down to.

Kirkland is separated from Seattle proper by a large bridge. This is obviously a bottleneck and can be a bit of a nightmare in rush hour.

It's up to your husband really. If he is the kind of Brit that wants a really good local boozer around the corner, then he'll want to consider sucking it up for the commute (I can recommend several British-style neighbourhood pubs around the city if that is the case). If he is more of the quiet homely type, then he might as well live in Kirkland and avoid being stuck in traffic every morning.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
That's the basic choice. Commute versus social life. That's what it comes down to.

Kirkland is separated from Seattle proper by a large bridge. This is obviously a bottleneck and can be a bit of a nightmare in rush hour.

It's up to your husband really. If he is the kind of Brit that wants a really good local boozer around the corner, then he'll want to consider sucking it up for the commute (I can recommend several British-style neighbourhood pubs around the city if that is the case). If he is more of the quiet homely type, then he might as well live in Kirkland and avoid being stuck in traffic every morning.
Or then you have my husband, who endures a hellish commute (Puyallup to Bothel) so we could afford a decent house (4 years ago when real estate was booming) in a semi decent neighborhood. We thought we'd be able to sell in a few years time.....
Old Feb 20th 2009, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Or then you have my husband, who endures a hellish commute (Puyallup to Bothel) so we could afford a decent house (4 years ago when real estate was booming) in a semi decent neighborhood. We thought we'd be able to sell in a few years time.....
Wow. That's crazy. How long does that take?
Old Feb 20th 2009, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. That's crazy. How long does that take?
It wasn't too crazy initially because he was working in a different department and worked 3.5 days with 3.5 off (office was in Redmond) But then he took a promotion and moved to Bothel.....the only good thing is that occasionally he works from home. But he leaves pretty early and comes home early and still ends up with 1.5 hours (2 hours on bad days.)
Old Feb 21st 2009, 4:16 am
Just Joined

Kaffy is an unknown quantity at this point

wow... Puyallup to Bothell... must be a good job!
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kaffy
wow... Puyallup to Bothell... must be a good job!
WalMart in Bothel had a better cashier's position.....
Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

riverkwai is an unknown quantity at this point

I found most of the posts in the forum quoted for 20ft container from UK to mainly Houston. Can anyone help me in giving me the approximate quotes for shipping a 20ft container from UK to Seattle?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

andydunn is an unknown quantity at this point

It's up to your husband really. If he is the kind of Brit that wants a really good local boozer around the corner, then he'll want to consider sucking it up for the commute
20 minutes walk from my house in Kirkland http://www.wilderover.com/. Run by a genuine real Irish guy, excellent music and a damn fine pub quiz and a nice range of MicroBrews and good food too. Like all the bars in Kirkland if you pick the wrong night and you are over 21 you might feel old but that seems to be the way things are when you are old like me ;-)
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Fair enough. Never been there.

I'm down with Seattle now, unfortunately. Miss it really badly!