Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston in the next month or two

Moving to Houston in the next month or two

Old Aug 4th 2009, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Houston in the next month or two

Originally Posted by nethead
Yeah that's what it is

SM is very positive about living in the US (and even about Houston ) and loves her life here, so anything slightly less positive she has to say you should really listen too.
Just to clarify.......I was not having a go at any one person in particular with my comment and I certainly was not having a go at Sugarmooma.

Last edited by helwardman; Aug 4th 2009 at 8:22 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 8:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

JFC, you guys? What is this, new-user repellent? Everyone to separate corners?
And don't give ME any lectures about how new folk should be grateful for all the precious advice OR how regulars should be more polite to newcomers.

Bad netiquette all round in my opinion.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 8:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
...I sent my preschooler to a very close by church preschool for 3 mornings a week - for $190 a month....
your on to a winner.... 3 days a week is $1500 a month down my way.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 8:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveKC
Moaninmama or whatever, I don't need to explain my self to you. The notes from everyone else says it all for me.
As for pissing you off.......Do I sound bovered!
You do realise how daft your making yourself sound? There are plenty of people to have a hump with if that's your thing, but SM is not one of them.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland... about to relocate to Houston, Texas
SarahH1409 has a brilliant futureSarahH1409 has a brilliant futureSarahH1409 has a brilliant futureSarahH1409 has a brilliant futureSarahH1409 has a brilliant futureSarahH1409 has a brilliant futureSarahH1409 has a brilliant future

See... this is where I know nothing about schooling.

Are they 5yr old when they start preschool?

Here in the UK nursery/preschool starts at 3yrs and then primary education starts 4or 5yrs depending on when the little one birthday is.

I know there is a nursery close by to where we have been looking, past it serveral times when visiting family and it looks like a good one, but obviously I will still check up on it first!
Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by SarahH1409

Here in the UK nursery/preschool starts at 3yrs and then primary education starts 4or 5yrs depending on when the little one birthday is.

I know there is a nursery close by to where we have been looking, past it serveral times when visiting family and it looks like a good one, but obviously I will still check up on it first!
Kids start school proper at 5/6 years of age....that's primary school.

Anything before that, you pay yourself, preschool ain't cheap, but then again, it might be in Houston, I don't know. Preschool usually is 2.9 years old, anything younger is daycare, and that's even more expensive.

If the preschool is any good, you'll probably need to put down a large deposit first and probably be on a waiting list to get in and usually, even if you don't use the time, you've still got to pay for it.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 1:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahH1409

There is a BE member that lives in the Clear Lake area that I think works at a Montessori School....I'll try and remember her name. She could give you all the info you should need
Old Aug 5th 2009, 1:50 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

my son was 5 last week. he will be going to proper school - Kindergarten - in a month. I could if I wish - hold him back another year until he's more mature (and many parents do) - but I dont want him to be too far behind his english peers until im sure we are staying here (ie green card in hand). His peers back in the UK started school last year.

Also - Kindergarden here is just 2.5 days a week but that varies enormously by school district - so dont assume your child will be full time at kindergarden level.

The church 'pre school' i use - will take them from 2.5 - so my middle son will start there in Sept. Day care generally (equiv of a UK day nursery) is from 6 weeks (yes - weeks! - because the maternity leave is not long here). You can pay a lot more than that - depends on if you pick a real fancy montessori one or a more regualr one etec etc.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 2:39 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Our youngest has only just started preschool, 2 half days each week at $22 a half day. Very cheap for around here as it's attached to the local elementary school who realised that only low income kids had access to preschool through Head start and the rest of us had to drive an hour each way to a private school or go without. So far so good school went back on July 28th and so far she's loving it.
She'll be 5 in January and will start kindergarten in July 2010 full days 7.30am to 2pm each day.
She'll be a whole year behind her little UK friends
Old Aug 5th 2009, 5:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slidingbyee
And of course don't ever let the doctors or hospital know you are paying yourself thats like buying a car and telling them how much you have to spend.

Absolutely UNTRUE.

My daughter and her husband paid for their first child's birth in cash. Had no insurance. They received a hefty discount for doing so from both the hospital and the OB/GYN.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:18 pm
Welsh and proud in Texas

tigerbaywarrior is on a distinguished road

I'm Welsh and living in Houston.

Can I have a cookie too?
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland... about to relocate to Houston, Texas
SarahH1409 has a brilliant futureSarahH1409 has a brilliant futureSarahH1409 has a brilliant futureSarahH1409 has a brilliant futureSarahH1409 has a brilliant futureSarahH1409 has a brilliant futureSarahH1409 has a brilliant future

Thanks for all the advice on schooling... hugely appriciated!!

Originally Posted by tigerbaywarrior
I'm Welsh and living in Houston.

Can I have a cookie too?
Yay to the welsh (my mother was Welsh )
Old Aug 6th 2009, 1:40 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Absolutely UNTRUE

My daughter and her husband paid for their first child's birth in cash. Had no insurance. They received a hefty discount for doing so from both the hospital and the OB/GYN.
http://www.reclaimdemocracy.org/week..._pay_most.html

she learned that people like her -- who don't have health insurance -- often are expected to pay far more for their medical care than large insurers, health-maintenance organizations or even the U.S. government.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5290172/

Hospitals routinely charge uninsured people up to four times more than patients with coverage, financial experts told lawmakers

http://www.jhsph.edu/publichealthnew...l_charges.html

Hospitals Charge Uninsured and “Self-Pay” Patients More than Double What Insured Patients Pay
Old Aug 6th 2009, 10:58 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm Welsh
Cookie coming your way...

and living in Houston.
Ouch! Better have another one...
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Cookie coming your way...

Ouch! Better have another one...
Hi - We are another Aberdeen couple moving to Houston! In Spring 2010. My husband is a contractor to the oil business, and I'm American (um, I am fully aware of fatbrit concerns and agree wholeheartedly with them) - so we worry about a few things.

1. Is it better over there?
2. Where do we live? (So far probably will work contract with the 'other' deep sea drilling that does not start in T and end in D.)
3. Do we get pregnant here or there?
4. How does US health care changes affect us by 2010?
5. Can we afford private insurance (we have ascertained that yes, we can.)
6. Selling our house here - does this affect any of our tax burden in USA? There is no capital gains tax on a primary residence sold in UK, so can we just transfer the $ to Houston to buy our next house?
7. We aren't being transfered by a company, so we are shipping our own. Anyone know how to connect up with other Aberdonians to ship a container? So many move to Houston! (No fancy relocation package, which one has to pay taxes on anyhow!)
8. Does anyone take their car and have it converted to left hand drive?
9. How to connect with the Aberdeen expats in Houston?

And so forth.

Just a small note, and I'm a newbie here and American - confrontive attitudes do see the 'american way' but we really don't get on well with folks who get testy so fast.... maybe we are hypocritical in that way.. smile.

Just for info, we are going on the I-130, as I'm an American and he's my husband! 4 months approximate wait, and bingo we go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.