Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston

Moving to Houston

Old Feb 4th 2011, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Tristan601 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Houston

What about general quality of life in Houston?
I'm British but I've spent the last few years in various parts of Africa, currently in Libya, but have been asked to head up a team based in Houston, but it will be on a permanent basis (well for 2 years) rather than rotation as I do now.
I've spent some time with the American forces and other organisations in various places so I like the people and having been a working nomad since 16 I know I can fit in anywhere but this will be my first time long term in the States.
Really I just want to know about stupid stuff like is it unrealistic to be able to want to cycle into work? Are the parks like those in London that you can (within reason) run around on a Sunday morning? Is there somewhere were you can go and see a ballet or a live non sporting event? Is there a triathlon club? Although I’m single, I’m 40 (almost) so I don’t want my only available leisure activity to be bar hopping. Basically can I do what I do in London in Houston?
Thanks in advance
Tristan
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tristan601
What about general quality of life in Houston?
I'm British but I've spent the last few years in various parts of Africa, currently in Libya, but have been asked to head up a team based in Houston, but it will be on a permanent basis (well for 2 years) rather than rotation as I do now.
I've spent some time with the American forces and other organisations in various places so I like the people and having been a working nomad since 16 I know I can fit in anywhere but this will be my first time long term in the States.
Really I just want to know about stupid stuff like is it unrealistic to be able to want to cycle into work? Are the parks like those in London that you can (within reason) run around on a Sunday morning? Is there somewhere were you can go and see a ballet or a live non sporting event? Is there a triathlon club? Although I’m single, I’m 40 (almost) so I don’t want my only available leisure activity to be bar hopping. Basically can I do what I do in London in Houston?
Thanks in advance
Tristan
Cycling to work would depend on where you live/work. You rarely see any cyclists as commuters. Cars rule. Again depending where you live there are quite a few parks to run in (Memorial Park being one). As for arts & culture, Houston is not London by any means but it does have theatre, Houston Ballet and just about anything else you need. See http://www.houstonculture.com/ for a brief overview.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Houston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really nice

Last time I was there, I saw two accidents involving cyclists in 2 days and neither looked good. I remember thinking at the time why would anyone want to cycle on these roads, so there's your answer on that.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 2:39 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Cycling to work - depends where you live/work - as someone else said, a lot of the roads are not very bike friendly. We live out in Katy. A neighbour (who has now transferred elsewhere) used to ride to work in the energy Corridor. Its about a 20 mile commute each way, and he could do it with less than a mile of roads - all along the bayous and the berms seperating the flood areas.

I know quite a few people doing triathlons around here, but not sure of the names of their clubs - you could try googling USA Triathlon and see what you come up with - there are a lot of their car stickers around.

We do a lot of recreational road biking, and there are some nice rides on quiet country roads out in the country to the west and north of Houston, depending on where you base yourself. If you live west, you'll not be looking at doing any hill work locally, but the wind will make up for it! In the North you can get some nice riding through the forests with some rolling hills, but nothing mountainous. Anything from1-3 hours will put you in hillier country.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 8:41 pm
Welsh and proud in Texas

tigerbaywarrior is on a distinguished road

cycling in July/August?

Old Feb 4th 2011, 9:43 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tigerbaywarrior
cycling in July/August?

June and September not great either.....
Old Feb 4th 2011, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
June and September not great either.....
...or today either
Old Feb 4th 2011, 9:50 pm

Was due to be doing a 70 miler tomorrow and its just been cancelled cos of the ice
Old Feb 5th 2011, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

lonestargirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Re triathalons, I swim with Rice Aquatics Masters group and a lot of the others participate in tris. Some do their bike/run training alone, some with other RM swimmers and some with other groups. There are 12 swim sessions a week so it fits most schedules.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 6:43 pm
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

Houston's climate is classified as humid subtropical with Summers normally >90F, so bear that in mind with your intended lifestyle.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Tristan601 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the responses chaps. Having had a search around on line it seems like there plenty of training resources available in Houston but like you suggest cycling into work is probably a no-no.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

Yorkieabroad,

You were obviously doing the Puddle for the Ducks too?? I'm quite glad they postponed it - I really didn't fancy a cold icy bike ride!

I agree with the others - cycling to work doesn't seem to be a thing to do here; I guess like everywhere, car drivers seem to think giving you a 20cm gap is a nice wide berth! If you can find a route though that encompasses parks or quieter residential streets you may be OK
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by TopSec
Yorkieabroad,

You were obviously doing the Puddle for the Ducks too?? I'm quite glad they postponed it - I really didn't fancy a cold icy bike ride!

I agree with the others - cycling to work doesn't seem to be a thing to do here; I guess like everywhere, car drivers seem to think giving you a 20cm gap is a nice wide berth! If you can find a route though that encompasses parks or quieter residential streets you may be OK
I did the Ducks last year but wasn't going to do it this year - I'm doing the Conoco Phillips training series and they had a different ride planned heading down to Wallis so I was going to do that. I'm sure they used to share the Ducks - not sure why they didn't this year.

Fancied doing the Golden Girls yesterday, but even the thought of rest stops staffed by cheerleaders doling out bananas couldn't force me into the early start to get all the way up there, Just did a local 50 instead - was nice setting out - cool but calm but boy did the wind get up towards the end! Are you doing Pedal The Prairie this Saturday ? If so, look out for me - I'll be on a cack-brown Bianchi wearing either a red windbreaker if its very cold, a blue longsleeve if its a tad chilly, or my England shirt if its warm!!