Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

job interview in the US

job interview in the US

Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:53 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 23
Andyrocks22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default job interview in the US

I am a US citizen married to a Brit and we currently reside in the UK. We are planning to move to the states and in preparation to be able to sponsor him I am interviewing for employment in the US. We plan to file the I-130 and need to know once this has been received will I be able to travel back and forth freely for interviews or not? Just wondering if we should delay filing due to the fact I am actively seeking employment. How soon does the affidavit of support need to be filed and how long must I be working in the US to be able to sponsor my husband?

Thanks very much,
Andyrocks22 is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:58 pm
  #2  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 43,730
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: job interview in the US

Of course you can fly back and forth. In fact once the I-130 is filed in London, you can head back to the US permanently and your spouse can complete the process by himself. There is nothing else for you to do on your end other than complete an I-864.
Rete is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2011, 4:19 pm
  #3  
 
meauxna's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 35,082
meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: job interview in the US

Originally Posted by Andyrocks22 View Post
I am a US citizen married to a Brit and we currently reside in the UK. We are planning to move to the states and in preparation to be able to sponsor him I am interviewing for employment in the US. We plan to file the I-130 and need to know once this has been received will I be able to travel back and forth freely for interviews or not? Just wondering if we should delay filing due to the fact I am actively seeking employment. How soon does the affidavit of support need to be filed and how long must I be working in the US to be able to sponsor my husband?

Thanks very much,
After your I-130 is accepted for processing (when your payment is taken, basically), you are free to leave the UK; your residency part is fulfilled.

You won't be called for any interview. Your spouse will need to attend the visa application interview. That is where the I-864 Affidavit of Support is required.
There is no set period of time you must have been working in the US to be a Sponsor; the decision is made on the totality of your circumstances.
meauxna is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2011, 4:49 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 23
Andyrocks22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: job interview in the US

Originally Posted by meauxna View Post
After your I-130 is accepted for processing (when your payment is taken, basically), you are free to leave the UK; your residency part is fulfilled.

You won't be called for any interview. Your spouse will need to attend the visa application interview. That is where the I-864 Affidavit of Support is required.
There is no set period of time you must have been working in the US to be a Sponsor; the decision is made on the totality of your circumstances.
Thanks very much for your answer, however, I am even more confused so please bear with me..I am currently unemployed and I have been under the impression I must be able to prove I can support my husband before he will be allowed to immigrate..is that correct? Also, must we be apart or is that also something else I have misunderstood? I was told I should have several pay stubs as proof...Is all this as stressful and difficult as it seems to us at the moment? Thanks for your help!
Andyrocks22 is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:18 pm
  #5  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 38,867
ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: job interview in the US

Originally Posted by Andyrocks22 View Post
I have been under the impression I must be able to prove I can support my husband before he will be allowed to immigrate..is that correct?
Yes, and no. You must be his sponsor, since you are the USC spouse. However, if you don't earn enough or don't have sufficient assets in lieu of earnings, you can get a joint sponsor - any USC or PR, over age 18, living in the US... anyone at all. That said, you don't need to provide that proof until your husband attends his interview.


Also, must we be apart or is that also something else I have misunderstood?
You're not obligated to be apart, if that's what you mean! You can hop over to the US for a job interview and head back to the UK if you want. It's expensive to keep going back and forth, but if you can afford it that's just fine! Most people can't afford the luxury.


I was told I should have several pay stubs as proof...
As proof of your current earnings... yes. Your husband will need this when he goes for an interview, not before. But, if you can get a joint sponsor, you don't need to worry about any financial stuff.

Ian
ian-mstm is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:39 pm
  #6  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,093
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: job interview in the US

If you (the USC) are not living back in the USA by the time he goes for his interview, be aware that you'll need to demonstrate "intent to domicile". If you are living back in the USA by that time, no problem. Domicile issue is resolved then.

Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2011, 6:06 pm
  #7  
 
meauxna's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 35,082
meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: job interview in the US

Originally Posted by Andyrocks22 View Post
Thanks very much for your answer, however, I am even more confused so please bear with me..I am currently unemployed and I have been under the impression I must be able to prove I can support my husband before he will be allowed to immigrate..is that correct? Also, must we be apart or is that also something else I have misunderstood? I was told I should have several pay stubs as proof...Is all this as stressful and difficult as it seems to us at the moment? Thanks for your help!
heheh.. to your last Q, maybe, maybe not.

You have several ways to meet the requirements of the I-864 Affidavit of Support.
One is through your own US income, another through the use of your assets, or, a combination of the two.
Another is a Joint Sponsor.

If your US employment is new, but is at the required level, certainly the longer you have the job the better, but there is no automatic period of time you must have had the job.
meauxna is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.