Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston

Moving to Houston

Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

jade13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Houston

Hi everyone, new to this site.My family and i are moving to Houston from the UK in the next few months.We will hopefully rent a nice apartment in the Cinco Ranch area initially ,we are really excited about the move. I was wondering if anyone has any information on toddler groups/pre schools in that particular area, we have 2 children 3yrs and 1yr and i am keen to get to know other mums in the area.Thanks.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving to Houston

Hi jade13,

All the best with your move to Houston. There's plenty of people on here who are in the Katy area and so hopefully someone can answer your questions. Our kids have been in Elementary since we arrived and so we don't have any experience of preschool etc.

We did rent in Cinco for a year last year and have bought nearby (Grayson Lakes) recently and so if you have any area specific questions, please don't hesitate to PM.

Cheers,

Doug.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:12 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

try the moms club organization. I have joined my local chapter here in ohio and regularly meet up with other mums and kids etc.

http://www.momsclub.org/join.html

When we came over - we met up with several families where my husband was a colleague of the husband - for a lunch (one family at a time). I got to know the wives.kids and if we hit it off i followed it up and arranged something. I still regularly see some and thats after 3 years. I also enrolled my 3 year old in a local church preschool (3 mornings a week) and made friends that way.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:18 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jade,

Houston is officially NOT shit.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607620
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:22 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Hi Jade,

Houston is officially NOT shit.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607620
And that's a good point well worth making, Leslie.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dougster75
Hi jade13,

All the best with your move to Houston. There's plenty of people on here who are in the Katy area and so hopefully someone can answer your questions. Our kids have been in Elementary since we arrived and so we don't have any experience of preschool etc.

We did rent in Cinco for a year last year and have bought nearby (Grayson Lakes) recently and so if you have any area specific questions, please don't hesitate to PM.

Cheers,

Doug.
Thanks for advice guys.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 1:56 am
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

I live in Cinco Ranch and have done for the last five years. Nice area for families. I can post the Cinco Ranch Newsletter to you'd like it as that has alot of information in it about groups etc. I think you can actually get thsat information from the Cinco Ranch site as well come to think of it. As and when more questions arise, feel free to PM me, or just ask away on the forum. There are a few of us in Houston.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ukintexas
Hi there

I live in Cinco Ranch and have done for the last five years. Nice area for families. I can post the Cinco Ranch Newsletter to you'd like it as that has alot of information in it about groups etc. I think you can actually get thsat information from the Cinco Ranch site as well come to think of it. As and when more questions arise, feel free to PM me, or just ask away on the forum. There are a few of us in Houston.
Thanks ukintexas, i'm sure they'll be plenty more questions to come! We're going over in a few weeks to have a look around the area.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 5:08 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jade13
Thanks ukintexas, i'm sure they'll be plenty more questions to come! We're going over in a few weeks to have a look around the area.
PM me and we can get together for a coffee if you like when you're in town.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 5:14 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

There was a new member (Weeze) asking similar questions a while back...you guys should hook up - she's here now I think, so is probably the most uptodate on the playgroup scene. I went thru it with mine a few years back, but they're all in elementary now, so I'm getting out of touch. If you search, you can probably find the thread...
Old Jan 7th 2011, 5:16 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Here it is:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=library
Old Jan 7th 2011, 10:51 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Yep I am right next to Cinco ranch. I have joined a toddlers group that includes Cinco. This is their website. http://sites.google.com/site/momsclubkatyse/
Feel free to PM me too. I can recommend the free toddler times at the library. Mine is Maud Marks but Cinco has one as well. Singing/stories etc. I also joined kindermusik which can give you info on if you like.
It was quite hard for me to find a moms group as they were all full, even the expat one. This one said they have never full and seem a friendly bunch.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 7:06 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys, really appreciate the info, it's a really exciting move but daunting at the same time, it's so nice to have found this site,everybody has been really helpful. Would really like to meet for a cuppa ukintexas maybe during our pre assignment visit (probably febuary time) i will pm you nearer the time. Will check out those groups wheeze, that's very useful thanks.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Thanks Yorkieabroad, had a look at the thread, very useful.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

I'm in Cinco too. Moved here nearly 4 years ago (fark .. where has the time gone?!) and love it.

The first couple of months were very tough as I didn't know anyone, and we were living in temporary accommodation on Eldridge, but once we moved to Cinco things changed rapidly. I joined the Cinco Ranch Ladies Club http://www.cincoranchladiesclub.com/ and made lots of friends. We don't have children here, but many do, and there are a number of activities for Mums with small children as well as many others. One of my favourite groups is the Expat group as you get to meet women from all over the world.

Another great group is ICH - International Connections Houston http://www.internationalconnectionshouston.org/ They meet up once a month (as does the CRLC) and there are so many activities you could be busy every single day!

The company you're transferring with will also have activities for their spouses, but sometimes they aren't advertised enough - or the men don't pass the info on

If you're with the same company as us I can give you all the info to get connected, and even a couple of others too as I probably know someone who knows someone if you get my drift!

Good luck with it all. Exciting but daunting sums it up perfectly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.