Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Florida in January 2021 - Advice?

Moving to Florida in January 2021 - Advice?

Old Dec 14th 2020, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Florida in January 2021 - Advice?

I know several people who have L1 visas to work in the US for short stints (think a month or two), but they are based in the UK most of the time. They just claim back the time outside the US ever few years to keep it going (obviously not now during COVID).
Old Dec 14th 2020, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Orlando93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by circusplaza
Hey - are you sure this is possible? I believe with a L1 visa unless you are an essential worker it is hard to return to the country. There are exceptions to be asked to the US embassy in London, but these are exceptions and you would not want to ask for one every 2 weeks.
Hi Circusplaza. Am I personally sure, not at all! I find the whole thing very ambiguous and unclear... However my company has a law firm advising and they have said that, after seeing the actual visa, that I can freely travel to the US even if I return to the U.K. then re-enter. For what it’s worth the VISA itself has an annotation that says ‘Blanket L1 NIE under PP Novel Coronavirus and risk to labour market’.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
A person living in the US on a L1 visa can visit their home country anytime they wish. Although there may be restrictions due to COVID.
And this is my point... was not Europe (as a whole) part of the banned region as per Trump’s proclamation?
Old Dec 14th 2020, 7:28 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Some Visas have an exception to the COVID proclamation. That is what NIE means - National Interest Exception. I have family members with such a Visa, and the OP clearly has one as well. He will be fine.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
Some Visas have an exception to the COVID proclamation. That is what NIE means - National Interest Exception. I have family members with such a Visa, and the OP clearly has one as well. He will be fine.
Good to know.
I thought L1As non-first responders were not part of the NIE.

cheers!
Old Dec 14th 2020, 7:43 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

You do not have to be a first responder or even a health care worker. There are many (good) reasons for an NIE.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 8:15 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know.

cheers!
I would assume that there is also an interest in approving ones that will create more employment in the US...
Old Dec 14th 2020, 11:58 pm
Furby

Good to know.

cheers!
I may have misled you there. My family members came across on a different visa than an L1A so I cannot talk to L1A’s specifically.
Old Dec 19th 2020, 6:08 am
Just Joined

Skittletop is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved to Orlando 3 years ago, although I came via Canada so my situation is probably a little bit different, I was able to exchange my Canadian driver's license for a US one no problem, no test sitting. When I moved down I rented a car for 10 weeks (part of my relocation deal) I also got a temporary housing deal for 2 months in a fully furnished apartment whilst looking for something more permanent. I got my driver's license at my temporary location and just changed to my new location when it needed renewing (1 year).

With a young child, may I suggest Baldwin Park as a place to look into living (where I did my temp residence), it's a nice little community north of the airport (25 mins) and is one of the only walkable communities in Orlando, which your wife may appreciate if she's not going to be working. Lots of young families live there and it has a nice downtown with great walks around the lakes and amenities. They have a rental office that has numerous furnished apartments which may suit your needs (although a little bit more pricey than other areas, but if you're planning on doing a long-term stay, I'm sure there's some negotiation wiggle room in there.)

For me (local office for a global company), work from home has been mandatory since April, with no signs that will change anytime soon.

Oh, and after living in Canada for 12 years I learned to love the finest spectator sport there is, hockey! Floridians(well Orlando) have very little hockey passion, even though one of the state teams won the stanley cup this year! It's all College football here. There are the Orlando solar bears, but NHL it ain't

Last edited by Skittletop; Dec 19th 2020 at 6:26 am.
Old Dec 25th 2020, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Although you can buy a car and get insurance on your UK license, there is a limited time the State gives you before you must get a US license.
https://www.flhsmv.gov/new-resident/

I've never known anyone to be prosecuted for taking longer though.

Also, I recently got my license renewed and I had to wait 8 weeks for an appt. Government is really slow at the moment.

Last edited by anotherlimey; Dec 25th 2020 at 10:13 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Miles Ramsell is an unknown quantity at this point

That sounds very exciting for you and your family!

I made a permanent move 5 years ago from Southampton to Atlanta.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 6th 2021 at 2:20 pm. Reason: Please note our Site Rules - you cannot promote yourself or anybody else in your company, thanks.