Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Florida in January 2021 - Advice?

Moving to Florida in January 2021 - Advice?

Old Dec 6th 2020, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Orlando93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Florida in January 2021 - Advice?

Hi Everyone,

I have just received my L1A VISA and will be moving to Orlando in January. I am able to travel due to my work falling within the 'NIE' rules. Initially I will be moving alone before my wife and one year old son join me a few months later, as my wife has commitments to the UK NHS. She will not be working when we are out there and we are going on an initial three year contract. We have an expat contract with my company, but the allowances for car, house, travel etc. will all be paid as cash and then I will use as I see appropriate. We have full medical cover and both my allowances and salary are guaranteed net payments irrespective of tax rates or my current tax residency situation. As my wife and son are still going to be in the UK I will be frequently travelling home to see them, likely 2 week periods at a time every few weeks before they can join me.

Because of how fluid the VISA/travel situation has been I have not really planned as well as I should and therefore have a number of questions which I appreciate any responses, and any general tips/advice anyone would like to offer based on your move to the US.

1. Does anyone know what the process of getting a Florida drivers license is for a UK citizen/holder of UK drivers license, and has COVID impacted this? I am planning on purchasing, with cash, a vehicle after the first 4 to 8 weeks, do I need a license to do this and also insurance it?

2. Until my wife and son join me I am planning on staying for a few months in a hotel rather than rent accommodation, first month is covered by the company in a hotel. I am intending on giving my companies office address when I get asked for my address on various paperwork etc. Is this likely to cause an issue with doing things like getting a drivers license, buying an automatic toll card etc. I already have a US bank account which my current UK bank opened for me so not too worried about that.

3. Are people returning to work in offices in the state of Florida?

4. I have found very few properties to rent on Zillow that come fully furnished. Is it uncommon for most rentals to be unfurnished? If so what do people typically do? I am reluctant to buy all new furniture for just 3 years and we are keeping our UK property as a base for when we come home so cannot ship our current furniture over.

5. How expensive are nursery fees in Florida and do they typically offer the same flexibility as UK nurseries for young children (e.g. 2 mornings per week). My wife will not be working however we would like our son to have contact with other children. Do people know of any good ways to achieve this with a one year old, my wife would also like to make friends locally, for example 'baby sensory' classes in the UK are a great way to achieve both aims.

6. is there anything that people consider essential to life in Florida that I have not already mentioned but absolutely should know about?

Many thanks for reading and appreciate any responses or general advice/tips.

Cheers!

Last edited by Orlando93; Dec 6th 2020 at 1:03 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2020, 2:43 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Florida in January 2021 - Advice?

I don't live in Florida so cannot help with Florida specifics but can offer the following general advice:

1. This page will give you the information you need on the driving license. Drill down into the page and you will find specifics for arranging your test. I have family who just moved to a different state in a couple of months ago and they had no problems buying a car with cash without a state driving license. They could buy the car without insurance but did arrange insurance prior to driving off in the vehicle which you should also most certainly do. Be aware of the high insurance you will pay as new transplant with no driving history or credit. It likely will be upwards of $2K a year. I think my family found that Geico offered the best deal for expats but it will for sure vary with each state. Buying a car online is very common now, you could research what kind of vehicle you might like and contact one dealers before you move over to confirm the requirements for purchase, although I would wait until you get here to purchase.

https://www.stateofflorida.com/drivers-license-steps/

2 and 4. For the first two months you might want to look at what they call Corporate Apartments. They are very common in the large apartment complexes and will provide everything you need from the furniture to dining ware, sheets and towels. It will likely be cheaper than a hotel over two months and a lot more comfortable for you. It will also provide a real address and you can update after you find your permanent home. My advice would be to rent a home unfurnished and purchase furniture. I think you will be financially better off over 3 years. I do rent homes out so I know what I am talking about here. You will pay way extra to rent a furnished home, doing so it will severely restrict your choices as you are finding out, the furniture is unlikely to be high quality and to your tastes. You can find decent furniture here for a reasonable price.

3 and 5. Cannot help as I have no kids. But perhaps your wife could join a couple of work out classes in the daytime, she would likely find some other young mums there.

6. Other advice would be to take a look at any financial investments you may have. If you are subject to US taxes (and unless you are a diplomat you will be) the tax situation for any foreign investment is onerous in financial and paperwork terms. If you sell any of your foreign investments while subject to US tax you will pay tax on the profits at the highest published rate which right now is 37% (but could go higher under Biden) and you can add the 6% Florida state tax to that. Those are the rates you pay regardless of your marginal tax rate. To add to the misery they will make you calculate the tax for every year you held the investment including the years before you moved here, and add interest to each prior year for the “unpaid” tax. Not fair and not fun, and the tax rate will be significantly north of 50%, but it is what it is. The bottom line is cash in any financial investments before you move over here if you think that you would sell anything while you are subject to US taxes. If you have any substantial investments I would get professional tax advice pronto, preferably prior to the start of the US 2021 tax year which is Jan 1st 2021.

6. Also look into paying Voluntary National Insurance contributions to help out with your state pension. Your wife could do the same. There are several threads that will provide the whys’s and wherefore’s.

Old Dec 6th 2020, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be reasonable to assume that most child care facilities if they are not closed will be, Biden is talking about 100 days.
Old Dec 6th 2020, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I can help with two of your points.
People have been back in their offices for some while in my county BUT each county imposes different rules to meet the situation and it could be different or change at any time in your area. You may find that some companies are still erring on the side of caution and some workers are still operating from home. Florida's governor would rather throw vulnerable folk under the proverbial bus before he orders a state shutdown, if that's any help. Can your company not give you that kind of localised information, presumably you have some kind of PR help there ?

flhsmv.gov is the official site for motor info. You will need a Florida licence, you won't trade in your UK one but you will need to do some of the FL test dependent upon your age. I'm an older grizzly so didn't need to sit the drink/drug awareness part of the test, younger folks might well have to. The practical part of the test was a joke, taken off road in an area the size of two tennis courts, and if, as a Brit, you can't pass it with both eyes closed you don't deserve to be on the road!! The theory part I found reasonably untaxing, answers are all multi choice and if you've spend 'five minutes' swotting the handbook eliminating the wrong options is child's play. Just be aware that some questions are constructed in a wordy, overly complicated manner and could be easily misunderstood.
You will need insurance, get ready to be introduced to extortionate pricing, which doesn't get much better as you age. You can drive for a short period (30 days?) on your UK licence, although enforcement appears to be zero, YMMV, so getting on the road legally is fairly easy. I can't help with sorting out a vehicle, as I used the wife's, but if you are going to settle for a fully blinged up F350 you may want to borrow someone's small town car as the test area I took mine in wasn't overly generously sized for a Honda Accord! Driving other people's cars is easy as nearly all insurance policies cover the vehicle, although I usually check with their insurer just to make sure on the rare occasion I hop in mates motors, needless to say that you need the owner's permission.

Childcare, I haven't had any personal experience of but the places seem fairly flexible from what I've seen with my step-daughter's and work colleagues experiences. Getting in can be an issue though, again I should think a decent company liason would furnish you with better local info than I can.

Essentials: bug spray, sun screen, shorts, flip flops, tip 20% minimum if you don't want to be a cheapskate, expect a $30/head bill for dinner at establishments that are nothing special, Bucs for gridiron, Rays for Baseball (Braves are an acceptable choice), Lightning for (ice) hockey, Magic for Basketball in your area, if Covid is done by next year find a local high school with a good gridiron football team and go watch a game, it's quite the experience. I don't follow soccer but the Rowdies in Tampa aren't supposed to be too shabby, Orlando probably has it's own team but you'll be had pushed to find the same enthusiasm over here for soccer among the general populace, on a positive note gridiron is really simple to grasp the basics if you aren't already familiar. Needless to say that the kiddies will love Disney, I prefer Cape Canaveral myself.

Last edited by zzrmark; Dec 6th 2020 at 3:20 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2020, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Watch out for websites that appear to be official government sites but aren't, like the one in post #2. It tells you it isn't an affiliated site and redirects you to another, which one would assume is the official site but isn't. This is even more important when dealing with visa issues, as you'll probably get the result you were looking for after you've paid for a service that is free on the official site!!
Old Dec 6th 2020, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boiler
It would be reasonable to assume that most child care facilities if they are not closed will be, Biden is talking about 100 days.
They have been open in our county since the schools went back, as I said earlier, the governor would would rather kill off the vulnerable than impede money making abilities.
Old Dec 8th 2020, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

vindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nice

Where in Orlando are you moving to?

Similar situation here. Moved here with wife and daughter in 2018 on an L1A. Rented an apartment initially, and furnished cheaply with used furniture from Cort Furniture (not the best quality but a cheap way to get the basics while you find your feet).

Childcare where we are is half the price of the UK (Surrey) and excellent.

Driving test was unbelievably easy at our local centre. A purpose built figure of 8 course, max speed 10mph and no more than 2 cars allowed on at a time. Stop at the stop signs and turn right or left when told and you should pass.

If your wife wants to work then apply for EAD as soon as possible. My wife had to wait 3 or 4 months for EAD to be processed which we hadn't considered.
Old Dec 8th 2020, 4:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by vindico
Where in Orlando are you moving to?

Similar situation here. Moved here with wife and daughter in 2018 on an L1A. Rented an apartment initially, and furnished cheaply with used furniture from Cort Furniture (not the best quality but a cheap way to get the basics while you find your feet).

Childcare where we are is half the price of the UK (Surrey) and excellent.

Driving test was unbelievably easy at our local centre. A purpose built figure of 8 course, max speed 10mph and no more than 2 cars allowed on at a time. Stop at the stop signs and turn right or left when told and you should pass.

If your wife wants to work then apply for EAD as soon as possible. My wife had to wait 3 or 4 months for EAD to be processed which we hadn't considered.
Thanks everyone for your replies, I had not anticipated the car insurance costs being so high!

@Vindico, we haven’t decided yet where to live in Orlando. My office is just North of the Orlando airport and I travel a lot in my role so need easy access to the airport also. We have been back and forth considering three bed apartments or 4/5 bed houses. There will only be the three of us however we are expecting family to visit but only 2 or 3 people at a time.

We are leaning towards apartments around the Millenia/Universal/Dr Phillips area mainly for the location. We have a budget of around $2,500 to $3,000 pcm before bills for accommodation. We also prefer apartments as my wife feels more secure in them if we get a top floor unit. She is worried about strange noises in the back yard in a house without me there! Although I’m a bit nervous as I’ve read mixed reviews about apartments and worried about potential noise if people let their units out to holiday makers etc.

Do you have any recommendations on which areas to live and houses vs apartments?

That’s a relief about childcare and the driving test. My wife is a Doctor in the U.K. and we very briefly looked at the possibility for her to work in the USA but it’s horrendously complicated for a U.K. doctor transferring to US system. As it’s only 3 years we decided it’s not worth the hassle and she will look after our son and just generally enjoy life for a bit after grinding out years of medical training/qualification in the U.K.

Last edited by Orlando93; Dec 8th 2020 at 4:25 am.
Old Dec 8th 2020, 4:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I can help with two of your points.
People have been back in their offices for some while in my county BUT each county imposes different rules to meet the situation and it could be different or change at any time in your area. You may find that some companies are still erring on the side of caution and some workers are still operating from home. Florida's governor would rather throw vulnerable folk under the proverbial bus before he orders a state shutdown, if that's any help. Can your company not give you that kind of localised information, presumably you have some kind of PR help there ?

flhsmv.gov is the official site for motor info. You will need a Florida licence, you won't trade in your UK one but you will need to do some of the FL test dependent upon your age. I'm an older grizzly so didn't need to sit the drink/drug awareness part of the test, younger folks might well have to. The practical part of the test was a joke, taken off road in an area the size of two tennis courts, and if, as a Brit, you can't pass it with both eyes closed you don't deserve to be on the road!! The theory part I found reasonably untaxing, answers are all multi choice and if you've spend 'five minutes' swotting the handbook eliminating the wrong options is child's play. Just be aware that some questions are constructed in a wordy, overly complicated manner and could be easily misunderstood.
You will need insurance, get ready to be introduced to extortionate pricing, which doesn't get much better as you age. You can drive for a short period (30 days?) on your UK licence, although enforcement appears to be zero, YMMV, so getting on the road legally is fairly easy. I can't help with sorting out a vehicle, as I used the wife's, but if you are going to settle for a fully blinged up F350 you may want to borrow someone's small town car as the test area I took mine in wasn't overly generously sized for a Honda Accord! Driving other people's cars is easy as nearly all insurance policies cover the vehicle, although I usually check with their insurer just to make sure on the rare occasion I hop in mates motors, needless to say that you need the owner's permission.

Childcare, I haven't had any personal experience of but the places seem fairly flexible from what I've seen with my step-daughter's and work colleagues experiences. Getting in can be an issue though, again I should think a decent company liason would furnish you with better local info than I can.

Essentials: bug spray, sun screen, shorts, flip flops, tip 20% minimum if you don't want to be a cheapskate, expect a $30/head bill for dinner at establishments that are nothing special, Bucs for gridiron, Rays for Baseball (Braves are an acceptable choice), Lightning for (ice) hockey, Magic for Basketball in your area, if Covid is done by next year find a local high school with a good gridiron football team and go watch a game, it's quite the experience. I don't follow soccer but the Rowdies in Tampa aren't supposed to be too shabby, Orlando probably has it's own team but you'll be had pushed to find the same enthusiasm over here for soccer among the general populace, on a positive note gridiron is really simple to grasp the basics if you aren't already familiar. Needless to say that the kiddies will love Disney, I prefer Cape Canaveral myself.
Thanks zzrmark. I’m a Rugby fan and find football (soccer) the most insufferably boring sport imaginable. We have been to a few NY knicks games so will certainly go and see Magic. I love ice hockey after living for a few years with a Canadian who was obsessed! Never got into baseball or football (too slow/long) but will certainly try it for the atmosphere and experience.

About the office I’m aware of the situation with my company, they are open and people are back. I was asking as typically (pre-covid) my job would involve lots of meeting with partners, suppliers, customers etc. and I’m just anticipating if I will be spending my days on video calls or actually getting some contact again.

Cheers
Old Dec 8th 2020, 4:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
I don't live in Florida so cannot help with Florida specifics but can offer the following general advice:

1. This page will give you the information you need on the driving license. Drill down into the page and you will find specifics for arranging your test. I have family who just moved to a different state in a couple of months ago and they had no problems buying a car with cash without a state driving license. They could buy the car without insurance but did arrange insurance prior to driving off in the vehicle which you should also most certainly do. Be aware of the high insurance you will pay as new transplant with no driving history or credit. It likely will be upwards of $2K a year. I think my family found that Geico offered the best deal for expats but it will for sure vary with each state. Buying a car online is very common now, you could research what kind of vehicle you might like and contact one dealers before you move over to confirm the requirements for purchase, although I would wait until you get here to purchase.

2 and 4. For the first two months you might want to look at what they call Corporate Apartments. They are very common in the large apartment complexes and will provide everything you need from the furniture to dining ware, sheets and towels. It will likely be cheaper than a hotel over two months and a lot more comfortable for you. It will also provide a real address and you can update after you find your permanent home. My advice would be to rent a home unfurnished and purchase furniture. I think you will be financially better off over 3 years. I do rent homes out so I know what I am talking about here. You will pay way extra to rent a furnished home, doing so it will severely restrict your choices as you are finding out, the furniture is unlikely to be high quality and to your tastes. You can find decent furniture here for a reasonable price.

3 and 5. Cannot help as I have no kids. But perhaps your wife could join a couple of work out classes in the daytime, she would likely find some other young mums there.

6. Other advice would be to take a look at any financial investments you may have. If you are subject to US taxes (and unless you are a diplomat you will be) the tax situation for any foreign investment is onerous in financial and paperwork terms. If you sell any of your foreign investments while subject to US tax you will pay tax on the profits at the highest published rate which right now is 37% (but could go higher under Biden) and you can add the 6% Florida state tax to that. Those are the rates you pay regardless of your marginal tax rate. To add to the misery they will make you calculate the tax for every year you held the investment including the years before you moved here, and add interest to each prior year for the “unpaid” tax. Not fair and not fun, and the tax rate will be significantly north of 50%, but it is what it is. The bottom line is cash in any financial investments before you move over here if you think that you would sell anything while you are subject to US taxes. If you have any substantial investments I would get professional tax advice pronto, preferably prior to the start of the US 2021 tax year which is Jan 1st 2021.

6. Also look into paying Voluntary National Insurance contributions to help out with your state pension. Your wife could do the same. There are several threads that will provide the whys’s and wherefore’s.
Thanks Glasgow girl (Glasgow to Texas that is quite the move!). I’ve spent many a memorable evening in the Westend.

I’ve been assigned tax support from KPMG in U.K. and US and they will be helping me file the returns in both countries. I’ve sold lots of my investments to cash as the tax experts highlighted what you mentioned. I plan to reinvest with a US broker next year so at least the CGT will be contained to whatever gain I make while only in US.

That’s a good point about NI my company will continue to pay my contributions but I will look into paying them for my wife.
Old Dec 8th 2020, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

You could watch Major League Rugby in Atlanta - hop on a cheap internal flight - I doubt it is worth it though.

As mentioned already - Florida is very open when it comes to Covid. I am based in Georgia, which is similar and we never closed the offices here, just running at lower capacity. Florida is a smidge more gung ho than Georgia - we had some Consultants who were very keen on doing onsite and they were South Georgia located, so I imagine you'll be able to have a degree of contact beyond video calls.
Old Dec 10th 2020, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

SYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orlando93
Hi Everyone,

I have just received my L1A VISA and will be moving to Orlando in January. I am able to travel due to my work falling within the 'NIE' rules. Initially I will be moving alone before my wife and one year old son join me a few months later, as my wife has commitments to the UK NHS. She will not be working when we are out there and we are going on an initial three year contract. We have an expat contract with my company, but the allowances for car, house, travel etc. will all be paid as cash and then I will use as I see appropriate. We have full medical cover and both my allowances and salary are guaranteed net payments irrespective of tax rates or my current tax residency situation. As my wife and son are still going to be in the UK I will be frequently travelling home to see them, likely 2 week periods at a time every few weeks before they can join me.

Because of how fluid the VISA/travel situation has been I have not really planned as well as I should and therefore have a number of questions which I appreciate any responses, and any general tips/advice anyone would like to offer based on your move to the US.

1. Does anyone know what the process of getting a Florida drivers license is for a UK citizen/holder of UK drivers license, and has COVID impacted this? I am planning on purchasing, with cash, a vehicle after the first 4 to 8 weeks, do I need a license to do this and also insurance it?

2. Until my wife and son join me I am planning on staying for a few months in a hotel rather than rent accommodation, first month is covered by the company in a hotel. I am intending on giving my companies office address when I get asked for my address on various paperwork etc. Is this likely to cause an issue with doing things like getting a drivers license, buying an automatic toll card etc. I already have a US bank account which my current UK bank opened for me so not too worried about that.

3. Are people returning to work in offices in the state of Florida?

4. I have found very few properties to rent on Zillow that come fully furnished. Is it uncommon for most rentals to be unfurnished? If so what do people typically do? I am reluctant to buy all new furniture for just 3 years and we are keeping our UK property as a base for when we come home so cannot ship our current furniture over.

5. How expensive are nursery fees in Florida and do they typically offer the same flexibility as UK nurseries for young children (e.g. 2 mornings per week). My wife will not be working however we would like our son to have contact with other children. Do people know of any good ways to achieve this with a one year old, my wife would also like to make friends locally, for example 'baby sensory' classes in the UK are a great way to achieve both aims.

6. is there anything that people consider essential to life in Florida that I have not already mentioned but absolutely should know about?

Many thanks for reading and appreciate any responses or general advice/tips.

Cheers!
You can buy a car with a foreign driving license, as far as insurance having a florida license will give you more choice, otherwise I think only progressive will accept to insure your car with your uk license.
Old Dec 11th 2020, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your replies, I had not anticipated the car insurance costs being so high!

@Vindico, we haven’t decided yet where to live in Orlando. My office is just North of the Orlando airport and I travel a lot in my role so need easy access to the airport also. We have been back and forth considering three bed apartments or 4/5 bed houses. There will only be the three of us however we are expecting family to visit but only 2 or 3 people at a time.

We are leaning towards apartments around the Millenia/Universal/Dr Phillips area mainly for the location. We have a budget of around $2,500 to $3,000 pcm before bills for accommodation. We also prefer apartments as my wife feels more secure in them if we get a top floor unit. She is worried about strange noises in the back yard in a house without me there! Although I’m a bit nervous as I’ve read mixed reviews about apartments and worried about potential noise if people let their units out to holiday makers etc.

Do you have any recommendations on which areas to live and houses vs apartments?

That’s a relief about childcare and the driving test. My wife is a Doctor in the U.K. and we very briefly looked at the possibility for her to work in the USA but it’s horrendously complicated for a U.K. doctor transferring to US system. As it’s only 3 years we decided it’s not worth the hassle and she will look after our son and just generally enjoy life for a bit after grinding out years of medical training/qualification in the U.K.
Hi there,

My wife and I moved to Orlando on L1 & L2 visas about 3 years ago and we now have an 8-month-old baby so we're in a pretty similar boat.

In terms of locations, Dr. Phillips should absolutely be on your list but scratch Millenia off. There is a nice mall there but the traffic is terrible and once you step foot a block too far in certain directions it becomes a very dodgy place pretty quickly. We're over a little east in Winter Garden and we love it; plenty of bars/restaurants/breweries with a quiet and relaxed feel and none of the Disney tourism traffic at all. If budget allows you could also look further north towards Winter Park/Maitland which are affluent areas but can be very busy.

Let me know if I can be of any help and also more than happy to have a beer with you in Jan to help you settle!
Old Dec 14th 2020, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,
Hey - are you sure this is possible? I believe with a L1 visa unless you are an essential worker it is hard to return to the country. There are exceptions to be asked to the US embassy in London, but these are exceptions and you would not want to ask for one every 2 weeks.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 5:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by circusplaza
Hey - are you sure this is possible? I believe with a L1 visa unless you are an essential worker it is hard to return to the country. There are exceptions to be asked to the US embassy in London, but these are exceptions and you would not want to ask for one every 2 weeks.
A person living in the US on a L1 visa can visit their home country anytime they wish. Although there may be restrictions due to COVID.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 14th 2020 at 5:44 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.