Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Florida

Wikiposts

Moving to Florida

Old Sep 16th 2003, 12:13 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tampa area

Originally posted by suebo
Well looks like we are on the move. Hubby spoke to his boss today and he is making the necessary calls for our transfer. So Tampa here we come in Feb/March 2004.
Good news!! Wish I was moving to Tampa too (although I like where I am now, Tampa has more variety) Best of luck with organising the move. Don't forget to ask if you need any help or have any questions.
LOTL
Old Sep 16th 2003, 1:44 am
Just Joined

Mike&Ali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tampa homes

Well we live in spring hill.
A nice house in a nice area up here, costs about$150 k for a 3 bed 2 bath 2 car garage, on a decent lot. Thats about 100 GBP, ABOUT THE PRICE OF A SMALL CHEAP FLAT IN THE UK.

The further north you go, the cheaper it gets. Pasco has some lovely areas, BUT , are you city people townies or countryside people.
You wouldnt get either of us to live ANYWHERE near Tampa, St Pete etc, too busy and takes ages to get from a to b. Justing sitting in your car for ages just to drive a few miles, forget it.

We have good friends that live in Seffner, thats a few miles north of Brandon. Gibsonton is called Carnie town, byt the locals.
Carnie being slang for carnival people, work out what they mean yourselves on that one.

The i4/i75/lee Roy Selmon routes are very very busy for several hours a day. In winter, with the snowbirds, forget it.

Not much help I know.
We are thinking of selling our house and building a newer,(ours is 3 years old) one near by. House prices in Pasco/Hernando have risen 10 % pa in the last three years thanks to the suncoast expressway. 50 mins from my door to TIA!!!

mIKE
Old Sep 16th 2003, 2:26 am
Just Joined

corporate is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello...

Since discovering this forum yesterday, I've been reading the posts....I feel I can make a suggestion here.

An alternative is to find a home or apartment to rent until you find the home you would like to buy.

http://www.furnishedhousing.com offers serviced and non-serviced apartments, so whether you are in for a short stay or long-term you won't need to bother about buying pots and pans, etc. before your final move -it's all available in the rental.

However, my suggestion may seem biased, since I work for the serviced/corporate housing provider listed.

Please let me know how I can help anyway- I have lived in the U.S. for over 15 years, and miss the U.K a lot!

Best,
Old Sep 16th 2003, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Sorry Corporate, but I will be arriving with a truck load of furniture, 3 animals and 3 vehicles. SO I will not be renting. The plan is to fly down a month before we are to move, have a whole load of houses to look at and arrive when it is ready to move in. We have alsready been preapproved for a loan, so renting is out of the question.
I did look in to the Lutz area, seems like that could be the place to move to. Thanks for the info on that area.

I have been surfing the net to find houses, but as I am unfamiliar with Tampa, I am at a loss. So if anyone can give me a specific list of areas that they recommend, I would really appreciate it. I guess hubby will travel up to half hour to get to work.

As I mentioned before and was confirmed (due to traffic), we should really stay West and North of Tampa City.
Cheers, I will probably have a millions more questions as time goes.

I appreciate everyones help on this
Old Sep 16th 2003, 6:54 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Try Citrus Park first as a farthest point..and work your way back into Tampa...
Old Sep 16th 2003, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by ray6
Try Citrus Park first as a farthest point..and work your way back into Tampa...
When I get on to the real estate sites, I can find Citrus Springs, but this seems to be a long way out. Is it the same place?
Old Sep 16th 2003, 9:55 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

When I get on to the real estate sites, I can find Citrus Springs, but this seems to be a long way out. Is it the same place?
Nope...

Here you go

http://www.st-pete-beach-homes-for-s...itrus-park.htm

http://www.tampabayhomelist.com/Tamp...MLS.asp?ID=184

http://www.newhomesforsale.org/Flori..._for_sale.html

http://citrusparkfl.newhomes.com/

http://nicehouseforsale.com/Florida/...trus_Park.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Citrus-Park-Florida.html

or go www.realtor.com and put in Zip 33625
Old Sep 16th 2003, 9:56 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

No! Though I see what you mean on Realtor.com. It seems that it doesn't have it's own identity and is instead grouped into Tampa. It is there though, it does exist, any Realtor will know where Citrus Park is. It seems to be spread over a few zip codes like 33556, 33624, 33625, 33626. I'm sure you could find a lovely house in any of these areas (including Lutz) One thing they all have in common is being close to the Veterans Expressway which is the best road to commute on.
Old Sep 16th 2003, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the links Ray, I am sure it wil be a big help - will investigate more.
Thanks LOTL, it feels strange calling you that , coz after the PM's you are still LOTL. But I did check out all the area/zip codes you gave me, it was a big help too.

Thank you appreciate it. I have a long way to go and no doubt I will keep asking you all questions- and I hope you keep answering me .
Cheers
Old Sep 17th 2003, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Is there a China Town in Tampa?? I can not find one on the web anywhere in Florida.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 9:49 am
my arm aches

Is there a China Town in Tampa?? I can not find one on the web anywhere in Florida.
Not one that I can think of. Loads of chinese restaurants all over the place, not just in one place. Crazy Buffet is a good place to go, but like most places there it's one of a chain of franchises.