Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Des Moines from UK

Moving to Des Moines from UK

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Bazza49 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Des Moines from UK

Calling any Brits living in or around Des Moines? I'm getting married in Guttenberg in March 2008 and hope to be resident in Des Moines with my soon to be USC wife later in year. I'm interested if any Brits are living in Des Moines and could provide any useful information or guidance about the area

Thanks
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Moving to Des Moines from UK

Originally Posted by Bazza49
Calling any Brits living in or around Des Moines? I'm getting married in Guttenberg in March 2008 and hope to be resident in Des Moines with my soon to be USC wife later in year. I'm interested if any Brits are living in Des Moines and could provide any useful information or guidance about the area

Thanks

Hi,

I'm in Dubuque, which is about 30 miles away from Guttenberg. Hope you enjoy Iowa. There's a few of us around!

Jim.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

CarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Moving to Des Moines from UK

Hello,

I'm in NE Iowa, a little far from you but same state Congratulations on your impending marriage. Hope you like IA, I have been here for 6 months and am loving it

CC

Last edited by CarrotCruncher; Jan 29th 2008 at 2:22 am.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CarrotCruncher
Hello,

I'm in NE Iowa, a little far from you but same state Congratulations on your impending marriage. Hope you like IA, I have been here for 6 months and am loving it

CC
Thanks for reply...........I'm sure I will like Des Moines having visited a couple of times already. Natives seem friendly!!!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:23 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Here I was thinking I was the only Brit in the whole state of Iowa, but it seems there are a few more.

I can't really answer your question about Des Moines as I haven't really been there much, but if it's like the bits of Iowa I know then I'm sure you won't have any problems. But remember to have some warm clothes as it gets a bit nippy around here.

Z
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by zargof
Wow! Here I was thinking I was the only Brit in the whole state of Iowa, but it seems there are a few more.

I can't really answer your question about Des Moines as I haven't really been there much, but if it's like the bits of Iowa I know then I'm sure you won't have any problems. But remember to have some warm clothes as it gets a bit nippy around here.

Z
Thanks for the reassurance......everyone I've met on previous visits to Des Moines has made me feel very welcome....and I don't mind the cold weather, worth it not to have to pay £5/gallon for petrol!!!
Old Oct 4th 2008, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

LondonPete is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Iowa City and i love it! Iowa has the most friendly people around and with a British accent you can't go wrong here. Great night life...very cheap (compared to London) Only thing i've found is when family visit they get very bored very quickly. Good to live there but when it comes to a holiday not so fun!
Old May 15th 2009, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

Liza is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello! Hope everything is going as planned for move to Des Moines.

Had to laugh at last reply! Its true. Having children helps. Our garden gets lots of work and attention when family visits.
Good Luck!