Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving Costs

Moving Costs

Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

shullen is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Moving Costs

My husband has been offered a job in NY State and we are negotiating terms with his company. Anybody knows how much it would cost for such removal services? We have a three-bedroom houses here in England so quite a lot of stuff.

I also want to ask if we sell our houses and try to transfer money towards downpayment for US mortgages, will either UK or US try to charge tax on that money?

Many thanks for answering these questions!
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Costs

You can negotiate your moving costs into the deal and also relocation costs back to UK should that be necessary.
Also rent for a long time before buying. I wouldn't even buy unless I was on a green card, as selling quickly if the visa is canceled (job eliminated etc) is no longer an easy thing to do.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 11:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome BE!

Have a search of the forums though, as this topic has come up loads, especially recently, so you should be able to get some kind of idea of the costs involved and all the other hassles that come up. The wiki up top is also a good starting place to look up answers to a bundle of questions you're likely to have.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 11:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shullen
My husband has been offered a job in NY State and we are negotiating terms with his company. Anybody knows how much it would cost for such removal services? We have a three-bedroom houses here in England so quite a lot of stuff.

I also want to ask if we sell our houses and try to transfer money towards downpayment for US mortgages, will either UK or US try to charge tax on that money?

Many thanks for answering these questions!
Hello and welcome to the site.

There have been lots of threads about what to ask for in a relocation package. You can use the Search function located at the top of the page to find them. Go to Advanced Search and put in 'relocation'/'relocation package' etc and hopefully you'll be able to pull up the threads. Please give me a shout if you can't find them.

It may also be helpful to look in the BE Wiki.