Reload this Page >

moving to charlotte north carolina

moving to charlotte north carolina

Old May 13th 2008, 11:57 am
Just Joined

1969jack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to charlotte north carolina

hi anyone in charlotte north carolina?

how is the climate, is their much british culture? (food british community television)

whats the culture like is their lot to do?
is traffic terrible? do you get 4 seasons? what about crime.......

any info you have would be greatly appreciated
Old May 13th 2008, 12:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to charlotte north carolina

Originally Posted by 1969jack

how is the climate, is their much british culture? (food british community television)

http://www.city-data.com/city/Charlo...-Carolina.html

full of criminals ....
Old May 13th 2008, 3:20 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Search for previous threads on Charlotte, NC in this and the Trailer Park forum. I live in NC but in Durham.
Old May 13th 2008, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Location: from Yorkshire, via Hampshire and Surrey to NC Triangle
mommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to all

I live in NC too, but also in the Triangle, have to say I love it, come across the odd Brit or two, but folk are very friendly and welcoming, had to skip most of my clothes though, as browns, grays and black don't look the same in the fantastic sunshine
I can buy tea, have a good bakery to buy decent bread, great cheese and other stuff a lot of other folk seem to miss and the quality of life is much better than I had at home. So I feel very lucky to be in this part of the world for now.

Last edited by mommapudding; May 13th 2008 at 8:07 pm. Reason: spelling
Old May 16th 2008, 11:06 am
Just Joined

alanlangstone is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I moved from the UK to Charleston, South Carolina.

Yes there will be quite a difference in climate, attitude.

If you need any help or information on Charlotte I know a Real Estate agent there, they would be pleased to help you.

Good luck with the move.

Regards,
Alan
Old May 16th 2008, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

I live close to Charlotte, it's not too bad.
Where I am (about 25 miles from Charlotte) it is different, shall we say. It took a lot of getting used to, I'm still getting used to it, but it's not bad here. The weather is really great when it's sunny, and really bad when it's not. It flies around from one extreme to the other. It's like bi-polar weather. It can be in the 80's and sunny, not a cloud in the sky, lovely warm and gorgeous one day, then dark, cloudy, stormy weather and tornado watches and warnings all day the next.
I have given up trying to find anything remotely British, when they decide to do anything British they balls it up, so I've come to the very obvious conclusion that it's just not Britain! lol!
If you do get a chance though, check out Sir Edmund Halley's, It's about the most Brit pub I know in Charlotte and they serve the best fish 'n' chips ever. I mean BETTER than Brit fish 'n' chips. I'm not joking. I have got to get my hub to take me there again soon.
Old May 16th 2008, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: moving to charlotte north carolina

any info you have would be greatly appreciated[/QUOTE]

Hi,

We built a house on a lake south of Charlotte and love the area, it's easy to get around, traffic is not bad - coming out of town at 5pm can be slow but it's rush hour. If by British culture you mean a pub, fish and chips and corner shop open at all hours - forget it - thank god!
Loads to do, any sport you want, social groups to join, - mountains nearby, beach - three hours, friendly people and neighbours and loads of space!!! Summer is fabulous - runs from March through November - winter can be dreary but can be ok (climate change - who knows!) we cycled along Hilton Head Beach in SC on Christmas Day -18C - bloody marvellous. The fall/autumn was amazing for the month of Oct - the most fabulous colours I've ever seen.
Food can be excellent if you want to pay for it and there are some gorgeous restaurants in the city - otherwise it's the cheap international diner stuff. (everything covered in cheese!) British food - as mentioned below - just Halleys. (Although sister works for Tescos and they are making inroads into the States so we may get more brit products.)
Not too much in the way of British stuff - Global Market for a bit of Cadburys and baked beans in every grocery store. I always bring a suitcase of supplies - branston, salad cream, chocolate, bombay mix, cheese and onion crisps and tea - from UK.
Crime - think in the west, it can be a bit rough -and possibly some parts of the east. Stick to the south and north. Any large city will have it's dodgy parts.
Good luck -Charlotte has the best of the north and the weather of the south!
Old May 16th 2008, 11:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alanlangstone
If you need any help or information on Charlotte I know a Real Estate agent there, they would be pleased to help you.
Very sneaky ......
Old May 17th 2008, 11:55 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Charlotte is a fast growing city with houses going up all over the place, hence it is very spread out. There are people moving here from all over the country due to its low cost of living, (you can get a lot of house for your money here). But personally due to the fact its so spread out I don't feel that Charlotte has got any "soul". However, its a pretty area, and as someone has pointed out its only a couple of hours to the Mountains and 2-3 hours away from the coast. We have mild winters, roasting hot and humid summers but wonderful Springs and Autumns. The sky is truly a beautiful shade of blue.

If you have never lived out this way before then the Church culture may take a bit of getting used to. We are oddities in our neigbourhood, not because we are foreign but because we are "unchurched", but its no big deal and generally people are friendly and welcoming.

Schools in the Charlotte/Mecklenburg county are stretched to the limit though, so if you have school age children you will need to choose the area you move to carefully. Check out the CMS website and take a look at school profiles and scores.

Another good place to check out on the web to get a "feel" for the place is the local newspaper, the Charlotte Observers website is here
Old May 17th 2008, 4:32 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Charlotte is a fast growing city with houses going up all over the place, hence it is very spread out. There are people moving here from all over the country due to its low cost of living, (you can get a lot of house for your money here).
Something I read the other day showed Charlotte as the only major city in the USA where house prices are still rising rather than falling.
Old May 19th 2008, 1:29 am
Just Joined

1969jack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elfman
Something I read the other day showed Charlotte as the only major city in the USA where house prices are still rising rather than falling.
thanks everyone for the input and the resources. I lived in south florida for 3 years so i am a bit scared of the humidity but south florida was pretty unfriendly and required you to be bi lingual

so thanks again everyone, will check out all the resources given
Old May 29th 2008, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

gryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nice

HI, We moved from Leicester to Charlotte NC in Dec 07, We have settled really, well, after a couple of months managed to buy a nice house, and luckily the housing problems havent yet hit Charlotte, The weather always seems to be warm, very little rain, however when it rains it pours and usually has a nice big thunder storm to follow. Still not experience at summer here yet but have been told it Very hot.

We have found a few stores that sell some english produce, Harris Teeter and World Market.

Where abouts in Charlotte are you moving too? We live in Steele Creek area, Right on the border of NC and SC. We have not witnessed or experience any crimes.

Speak soon

Emma
Old May 30th 2008, 5:56 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
I live close to Charlotte, it's not too bad.
Where I am (about 25 miles from Charlotte) it is different, shall we say. It took a lot of getting used to, I'm still getting used to it, but it's not bad here. The weather is really great when it's sunny, and really bad when it's not. It flies around from one extreme to the other. It's like bi-polar weather. It can be in the 80's and sunny, not a cloud in the sky, lovely warm and gorgeous one day, then dark, cloudy, stormy weather and tornado watches and warnings all day the next.
I have given up trying to find anything remotely British, when they decide to do anything British they balls it up, so I've come to the very obvious conclusion that it's just not Britain! lol!
If you do get a chance though, check out Sir Edmund Halley's, It's about the most Brit pub I know in Charlotte and they serve the best fish 'n' chips ever. I mean BETTER than Brit fish 'n' chips. I'm not joking. I have got to get my hub to take me there again soon.
Hello Emma,
I was there last year looking at property. There is also this pub;

http://bigbenpub.com/

I can't review it as I was driving and didn't want to risk getting a DUI. Looked alright though.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:28 pm
Banned

jammywatson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I live in north Carolina,here most of the people are british, british culture is here since so many years,but now so many peoples with different cultures are living hrere.Traffic facilities are so moderened there is no problem with traffic at all.Crime conditions are little less compare to other cities in Carolina.Any one can stay here to spend their rest of the life in carolina, its a beautifull place.
==========================================
jammywatson

Last edited by meauxna; Aug 20th 2008 at 4:43 pm. Reason: URL removed
Old Aug 20th 2008, 5:38 pm
Banned

Anthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sue
its only 2-3 hours away from the coast.
More like 4-5 hours actually.

Obviously more if you stop for a break or two.