Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving a cat from the UK to USA

Moving a cat from the UK to USA

Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving a cat from the UK to USA

We bought 4 cats and a dog from the UK in 2002. Your cat needs to be seen by a vet within the last 10 days to get the fit to travel certificate, so don't bother until nearer the time. The cat will be in the hold, not in the cabin. You will need to get the kitty microchipped. I'd also recommend the rabies jab now.

Most other things have been covered except for the weather issue - most airlines won't accept animals if the forecasted temp is too high or too low. NH can be freezing in winter and boiling in summer so this is something to consider.
Check American for an example:-
http://www.aa.com/intl/hu/travelInfo...gage/pets.jsp#

Most likely you will fly into BOS.

It will be more traumatic for you than the cat.... All of our cats and dog were fine, really, like nothing had happened and all acclimated to the Texas heat with absolutely no problems. The ticks and fleas can be a real problem (if the kitty goes outside) and frontline is necessary to keep the problem under control.

Sadly none of the UK crew are with us any more.

- Tim

Last edited by TimFountain; Feb 28th 2012 at 9:52 pm.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

bobbedford is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds like you most likely wont be moving back from the US, but you never know. I would suggest getting her a pet passport. It's easier to get pets into the US than into the UK, and whilst you can get things sorted in the US, it's probably best to do this now (which includes rabies).

Our 4 pets (3 cats, 1 dog) are flying out in two weeks. It's costing £2,300 with collection from our house (Essex) and boarding for 4 nights - we wanted them out the house while we pack so they aren't scared.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

piercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant future

Ozzy is always up to date on flea treatment (just in case). I read somewhere that UK microchips don't scan in the US so it may be a stupid question but is it true? If I need to get her one, I can do it with her next lot of boosters, no problem. We'd like to send fuzzy over before we go to be picked up by a relative if possible (had mixed answers on that, I'm going to call some airports and just ask them) so she'll be going before the summer heats up too much which should get around that particular rule.
Again, some good points and things to think about - thankyou!
Old Mar 6th 2012, 9:46 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. UK microchips do scan in the US. They use a dual scanner at our vets and it picks up both. We have a UK microchip in our dog and they had no trouble finding it. We did get it put on his collar tag that he was UK microchipped just to be on the extra safe side though.

Regarding heartworm, last time we were at the vets, the had just brought out a new combined flea and heartworm pill that cost a lot less that the two separate treatments we were buying previously.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 10:28 am
Account Closed

lib1109 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bob - Do you mind telling which service you are using for your pets? I'm moving to the States and am in the process of emailing companies to get quotes and see who I feel the most comfortable with.

Princess - I tried to send you a private message but I haven't posted enough. I'm completely overwhelmed by the whole process as well. It's hard enough to be going through immigration paperwork for my husband, a baby due this fall, and a move back to America but I think I'm most worried about the cats!
Old Mar 14th 2012, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

piercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant future

On microchips: thanks for that. I'll get her one with her next lot of boosters and get her a new collar tag with a not on that her chip is UK.

Lib: My husband is dealing with as much of the visa as he can, I just have to arrange the physical moving of me, my daughter and our cat from here to there. Baby no.2 isn't happening until we're all in the States but I'm impressed that you'd take it all on while expecting, make sure your manslave makes that up to you with copious amounts of tea and back-rubs

In general: The actual moving thing seems easy enough, the cat is the complicated bit. Between me and hubby, we're kitting out our house over there and I'm selling on or giving away or throwing out everything we have here closer to the time and mailing any odds and ends we need but can't carry the day before we leave. All we'll actually be taking on the day is a bag with our clothes in that we had left and my laptop then a few toys for the little monster. I suppose it's easier that I'm moving out of my parents house and into my first house, rather than having to move a full home. Thankfully my mum has agreed that she'll store anything we hadn't yet sold (as long as I arrange it being collected) and she can keep the money and my sister is more than happy to take any of my shoes/clothes/bags that I have no space for.

And can anyone suggest an airline that will take pets if I say I'll go from anywhere north of (and including) Birmingham? Preferably somewhere that offers direct flights to Boston but indirect would do. I'm still hovering between taking the cat on the plane or sending her through a pet transporting company but having her on the plane is a preference. Seriously, anywhere between about Birmingham and Glasgow is fine.

All of you get a gold star for your good advice too,plus you've all been really nice about me asking stupid questions.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by piercedprincess
And can anyone suggest an airline that will take pets if I say I'll go from anywhere north of (and including) Birmingham? Preferably somewhere that offers direct flights to Boston but indirect would do. I'm still hovering between taking the cat on the plane or sending her through a pet transporting company but having her on the plane is a preference. Seriously, anywhere between about Birmingham and Glasgow is fine.
I have a vague recollection that the pet shippers we used mentioned that animals can only go through Heathrow as they are the only airport in the UK with an animal handling centre. I may be talking complete bollocks though. I'd suggest you make a few informal inquiries of some shippers to get the gen.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Rpjs: I've heard tell that pets can be taken to Manchester. Whether they then go to Heathrow and go from there, I don't know but it won't be possible or sensible for me to try to get to London myself with Ozzy in her carrier so that's what I want to avoid.

I'll be doing it on my own with a small child, no car and limited baby-sitter availability so realistically, I won't be able to get to London, around London and back again with my little girl and the cat in any sensible time-frame. I don't know if any of you have ever tried to use the tube with a toddler whilst carrying something awkwardly shaped and heavy but I have. It didn't end well
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

I have been looking into this too, and would agree that Heathrow is the only place you will be probably be able to do it from - although Delta might from Manchester. Also, it looks like Virgin Atlantic will ship pets in the hold from Heathrow to Boston, and the prices looks favourable compared to an 'all in' service.

From reading other forums, this place - http://www.goldenarrowshippers.com/?...FdISfAodiQQ1lQ - get favourable reviews and are in Shropshire so might be a better bet as halfway house if you can't get your pet to Heathrow?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lib1109
Bob - Do you mind telling which service you are using for your pets?
No, because I didn't use a service...just info picked up from reading lots and lots of threads.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by piercedprincess
Rpjs: I've heard tell that pets can be taken to Manchester. Whether they then go to Heathrow and go from there, I don't know but it won't be possible or sensible for me to try to get to London myself with Ozzy in her carrier so that's what I want to avoid.

I'll be doing it on my own with a small child, no car and limited baby-sitter availability so realistically, I won't be able to get to London, around London and back again with my little girl and the cat in any sensible time-frame. I don't know if any of you have ever tried to use the tube with a toddler whilst carrying something awkwardly shaped and heavy but I have. It didn't end well
What about flying from your preferred regional airport to the US via Heathrow? (With or without Tiddles on the same planes.) Not optimum, I know, but easier than making your own way to LHR, and by doing it ticketed all the way through your connections are guaranteed (i.e. if your inbound to LHR flight is delayed you automatically get rebooked onto a later flight to the US).

In any case, I'd strongly recommend you talk to one or more shippers, even if you don't end up using them. They can tell you which routes are available for pet carriage and whether or not the cat /has/ to go via LHR.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thankyou Captainsensible, Shropshire is much better than London and they can arrange a rendez-vous if it isn't possible to get there and as I can't drive at the moment, that's a definite plus. This might have been the option I'd been searching for but just didn't know at the time

Rpjs: I have no objection to flying via LHR if we can take the cat with us that way at the same time, it just isn't sensible to get there as it is to drop off the small fuzzy if it's only her going since we'd fly from the north if we went without her.

Because it will just be me with the kid, the cat and the carrying, it's much harder to arrange moving everyone and everything around if there's a trek to the opposite end of the country involved since the timing of it means my manslave - er- husband won't be able to get the time off to come here and help. We've also moved back from moving next may-june-ish to moving september-october-ish which means more time to prepare and organise but also more time for me to stress out.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 3:26 pm
Account Closed

Princess: Unfortunately I'm on my own with all of this! I'm doing all of the visa work for my husband and I'm in charge of getting the cats and our stuff there! And I have to have a baby!

I just emailed about 10 companies to get information and quotes for moving my cats.. I'll let you know if I get any information that will be helpful to you.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Sell your husband on ebay and hire a helper?
That's not on. He owes you tea 5 times a day, every day forever AND a babysit so you can have a girly day at least once a month for the next ten years. It's the rules.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

I wish I could just vaccinate him and ship him with the cats!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.