Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving a cat from the UK to USA

Moving a cat from the UK to USA

Old May 2nd 2012, 7:40 am
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving a cat from the UK to USA

Originally Posted by piercedprincess
Seemingly I've lost the ability to edit my posts?
You can only edit posts for two hours after posting.
Old May 3rd 2012, 11:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So all of you making it sound really difficult and telling me we need all kinds of crazy stuff and injections and paperwork, consider yourselves glared-at.
It all depends on which state you fly into and if that isn't your final state, which state you bring your pet to. They are all different and rabies vaccine along with a vet's fit to travel check up are the usual minimum requirements.
Old May 6th 2012, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

piercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bob
It all depends on which state you fly into and if that isn't your final state, which state you bring your pet to. They are all different and rabies vaccine along with a vet's fit to travel check up are the usual minimum requirements.
The person my husband spoke to at Boston Logan airport said no such thing, just something official from our vet to say that moggy is in good health and to bring her vaccination record with us.
He also said that there are no state imposed rules, just the country-wide rules apart from Hawaii because there's a different rule for them.

I'm having that double-checked but I don't see any reason why he would lie.
Old May 6th 2012, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

piercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
You can only edit posts for two hours after posting.
It wasn't letting me edit even right after I posted. Seems fine now, must have been having an off-day.
Old May 6th 2012, 9:51 pm
Mosquito-Bait

teamaven is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Yep.

More info here:

http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/cats.html

Not sure what state your final destination is (but I'll go with Massachusetts) the import information for the cats is here:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_import/downloads/ma.html

The root site with other states to choose from if MA is not your final destination: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_exp...s_states.shtml

It's basic stuff, but for example, our two cats (and us) will be flying over to Newark in June...but our final destination is NY, so I've had to had 2 certs. One for the NJ and one that is being mailed on to the NY Office by our Vet here in the UK.

Best of luck with the flight!!
Old May 7th 2012, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

Here we go, more news! KLM were COMPLETELY MAKING ALL THAT UP! You cannot take pets on flights to the USA that start in the UK, even with stopovers. KLM are currently getting the sharp end of my wrath because not only were they wrong, they've now decided that it's MY FAULT and that I need to call a premium rate number to sort this out.
So as it stands, the fuzzy my or may not be coming with us which means all my plans to move house when we get back have gone to pot because everything was arranged to move into a place that doesn't allow cats which is why we had to take the cat with us at short notice.
Seriously, it's a healthy, well-behaved cat. Not a leopard or a dinosaur or something.

And after making hubby call the airport and harass them some more, he sent me this: According to border and customs. I got same answer with a few changes.
Clean bill of Health needs to be 30 days recent. Just states clean bill of health, which is a signed document saying that Ozzy is healthy and her shot and health records I guess.
Do not worry about rabies shot, cats do not need one, there are no state rules for that at all. Because she is a cat, they only follow federal rules. If Ozzy was staying in Mass she would have 90 days to get rabies shots after moving, they would not hold her. But she will be over border into NH which does not have that law anyway, so you do not have to worry about her getting shots 90 days after arriving in U.S.

HOWEVER. I have also seen that the 90 days thing only applies to animals under 6 months so my cat is having a rabies shot just so they can't say no to her entering the country based on that. If we can even get there that is *scowl*

Last edited by piercedprincess; May 7th 2012 at 5:10 am.
Old May 7th 2012, 5:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The person my husband spoke to at Boston Logan airport said no such thing, just something official from our vet to say that moggy is in good health and to bring her vaccination record with us.
He also said that there are no state imposed rules, just the country-wide rules apart from Hawaii because there's a different rule for them.

Well the guy is wrong.

Each state do have their own requirements in what pets and animals are allowed to be brought into their state and what vaccinations that are required.

You can't bring a skunk into MA as a pet, but you can bring a 30+foot snake into MA, which the opposite is true for neighbouring states for instance.

Rabies and fit to travel is generally the minimum requirement, as I said and you'd be crazy to bring a pet here without a rabies jab already taken care of anyway because it's every where, along with other nasty things that you generally don't find in the UK.

Also, bringing a animal in or through a state might be different from getting a pet license, which you need to do in MA, you do it every year on the state census in MA. Not every state do this however.
Old May 7th 2012, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by teamaven
Yep.

More info here:

http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/cats.html

Not sure what state your final destination is (but I'll go with Massachusetts) the import information for the cats is here:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_import/downloads/ma.html

The root site with other states to choose from if MA is not your final destination: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_exp...s_states.shtml

It's basic stuff, but for example, our two cats (and us) will be flying over to Newark in June...but our final destination is NY, so I've had to had 2 certs. One for the NJ and one that is being mailed on to the NY Office by our Vet here in the UK.

Best of luck with the flight!!
Flying into Boston which is Mass then driving to New Hampshire. Thanks for the links!
Oh, and what flight? Apparently we're not going because KLM are useless!

Last edited by piercedprincess; May 7th 2012 at 5:28 am. Reason: spelling
Old May 7th 2012, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Well the guy is wrong.

Each state do have their own requirements in what pets and animals are allowed to be brought into their state and what vaccinations that are required.

You can't bring a skunk into MA as a pet, but you can bring a 30+foot snake into MA, which the opposite is true for neighbouring states for instance.

Rabies and fit to travel is generally the minimum requirement, as I said and you'd be crazy to bring a pet here without a rabies jab already taken care of anyway because it's every where, along with other nasty things that you generally don't find in the UK.

Also, bringing a animal in or through a state might be different from getting a pet license, which you need to do in MA, you do it every year on the state census in MA. Not every state do this however.
I don't think snakes and skunks are relevant but consider your point made.
She is getting a rabies jab but I do need to know that I can bring her first because there are time restrictions on when they have to have had it.
So far, KLM have been completely wrong about getting the cat there and the first Mass-hole my husband spoke to was also completely wrong. I'm aware of the health certificate - that's needed pretty much anywhere and now I know that if I CAN get the cat on the plane, she needs the rabies shot which I'm reluctant to get until I know we're going because it has to be (feel free to point out I'm wrong since no-one has told me the right thing today!) done within 12 months of travel, not before.
Old May 7th 2012, 5:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

I don't think snakes and skunks are relevant but consider your point made.
She is getting a rabies jab but I do need to know that I can bring her first because there are time restrictions on when they have to have had it.
It's relevant in that it shows that each state has different requirements on what they allow for people to bring animals into that state, so the chap at Logan should know about bringing any animal into MA but might not have a clue about then keeping that animal in the state as a pet, nor what any other state might require.

As for the rabies shot, you need to check what the state you want requires, some require a live vaccine, others don't. If it's a series of jabs, they usually require that the jabs have started and can be finished within the state. You'll have to check what NH want.
Old May 7th 2012, 5:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Rules and regs for the airport or the state the airport is located and rules and regs for the state you actually reside in...are often two entirely different things. Think of each state as a separate country...I find it easier that way.
Old May 7th 2012, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

I haven't managed to find any rules for any states specifically at all. So far, every website that starts out looking promising actually ends up sending me round in circles rather than telling me what I need to know. We're flying to Boston (from Manchester UK via Amsterdam)then driving to New Hampshire where my cat is going to stay.

I'm getting told all manner of conflicting information and in fact completely WRONG information by places I thought might be helpful - the airline shipping the pet and the airport we're trying to fly to - I've never done this before and all the people getting ratty with me for not knowing are just upsetting me more since everything I thought I had sorted has now gone twits up. KLM are now refusing to answer anything unless I call a premium rate number so I don't know if I can even take my cat but my cat cannot come with me when I move (to another UK address) in October because I couldn't find anywhere in my price range that allows cats and no-one was willing to budge and make an exception at a place I could afford which is why I had to throw something together to get the cat to my mother in law in the States to take care of because I have no-one else here who can.

I asked for help from people who should know and from people who had been through it because I thought you might help, not just keep telling me I'm wrong. My only option if I can't take her with me is to send her to an animal shelter to potentially be put down because no-one is going to want a grumpy overweight cat like Oz. I got her to help be get over my previous cat's death and do not want to give her up. I'm sorry that I don't know what to do and thought someone might be able to help, I might as well give her over to the shelter now since no-one here can offer anything except criticism and repeating themselves. I'm not interested in state regulations, I want to know how to relocate the cat so unless you;re answering that question, keep your remarks to yourselves.
Old May 7th 2012, 6:31 am
Mosquito-Bait

teamaven is an unknown quantity at this point

Flying into Boston which is Mass then driving to New Hampshire. Thanks for the links!
Oh, and what flight? Apparently we're not going because KLM are useless!
Sorry that KLM ended up being useless. I'm shipping my 2 cats cargo from LHR to EWR and its costing us 450 GBP (and 40 bucks for the US customs inspection). That's via Virgin Altantic (I don't know if they fly into Boston) but if you send your cats with them you don't necessarily have to fly with them).

For the import rules in NH:
this is what I found after much digging on the NH Agri site: (I know you're not selling your cat, but this may apply to non-sale cats)
http://agriculture.nh.gov/faq.htm#import
(http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rule...s/agr2100.html)
"PART 2112 DOGS AND CATS

Agr 2112.01 No Permit Required - Certificate of Veterinary Inspection Required.

(a) All dogs and cats brought or shipped into the state of New Hampshire for resale shall be:

(1) Inoculated against common canine or feline viral diseases within one year, but not less than 7 days, before entry; and

(2) Accompanied by a certificate of veterinary inspection issued by an accredited veterinarian.

(b) The accredited veterinarian shall certify on the certificate of veterinary inspection that the dogs and cats are free from visual evidence of contagious and infectious diseases.

(c) No person shall ship into the state of New Hampshire or offer for sale or resale in the state of New Hampshire any cat or dog less than 8 weeks of age.

Source. #2116, eff 8-12-82; ss by #2828, eff 8-20-84; ss by #4546, eff 12-16-88, EXPIRED 12-16-94

New. #6011, eff 3-28-95; ss by #6959, eff 3-23-99; ss by #8423, eff 8-31-05; ss by #8848, eff 3-21-07 (from Agr 2111.01)

Agr 2112.02 Rabies.

(a) Dogs and cats shall not enter the state of New Hampshire from an area under quarantine for rabies.

(b) Every dog and cat 3 months of age and older shall be vaccinated against rabies.

(c) Dogs and cats under 3 months of age shall be vaccinated within 30 days after they have reached 3 months of age.

(d) Dogs and cats shall be vaccinated with rabies vaccine approved by the National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians, Inc.

Source. #2116, eff 8-12-82; ss by #2828, eff 8-20-84; ss by #4546, eff 12-16-88; ss by #5704, eff 9-21-93; ss by #6011, eff 3-28-95; ss by #6959, eff 3-23-99; ss by #8423, eff
8-31-05; ss by #8848, eff 3-21-07 (from Agr 2111.02)"

I hope that helps some and I can really understand the stress you're having. And how you're struggling to find a workable solution for Oz...
Can you PM me with your timetables and I can see if there's going to be anyway possible I might help out?
Old May 7th 2012, 6:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't managed to find any rules for any states specifically at all. So far, every website that starts out looking promising actually ends up sending me round in circles rather than telling me what I need to know. We're flying to Boston (from Manchester UK via Amsterdam)then driving to New Hampshire where my cat is going to stay.

I'm getting told all manner of conflicting information and in fact completely WRONG information by places I thought might be helpful - the airline shipping the pet and the airport we're trying to fly to - I've never done this before and all the people getting ratty with me for not knowing are just upsetting me more since everything I thought I had sorted has now gone twits up. KLM are now refusing to answer anything unless I call a premium rate number so I don't know if I can even take my cat but my cat cannot come with me when I move (to another UK address) in October because I couldn't find anywhere in my price range that allows cats and no-one was willing to budge and make an exception at a place I could afford which is why I had to throw something together to get the cat to my mother in law in the States to take care of because I have no-one else here who can.

I asked for help from people who should know and from people who had been through it because I thought you might help, not just keep telling me I'm wrong. My only option if I can't take her with me is to send her to an animal shelter to potentially be put down because no-one is going to want a grumpy overweight cat like Oz. I got her to help be get over my previous cat's death and do not want to give her up. I'm sorry that I don't know what to do and thought someone might be able to help, I might as well give her over to the shelter now since no-one here can offer anything except criticism and repeating themselves. I'm not interested in state regulations, I want to know how to relocate the cat so unless you;re answering that question, keep your remarks to yourselves.
Have you tried a US airline? I know that at least one ex BE member flew his cat in the cabin...it was a US airline...Continental I think. I've been trying to find the info...I will keep looking. Have you used the forum's search engine to try to locate past threads/posts?

You should be very interested in state regulations...or you could find yourself with major problems. If you cannot find the info on websites...try emailing or calling...you can call the US from the UK for a few pennies using a 3rd party.

I'm sorry you are not happy with the answers you've received...unfortunately when you post on an internet forum you cannot dictate what type of answers are posted.

Edit: I've just found this post which may be of interest to you. It's amazing the info you can find sometimes if you take the time to use the search engine. As well as discussing the various state agencies you need to be aware of...he also said he flew with Delta and AA. I know this member flew with his cat in the cabin. Here is the entire thread if you are interested.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 7th 2012 at 6:56 am.
Old May 7th 2012, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by teamaven
Sorry that KLM ended up being useless. I'm shipping my 2 cats cargo from LHR to EWR and its costing us 450 GBP (and 40 bucks for the US customs inspection). That's via Virgin Altantic (I don't know if they fly into Boston) but if you send your cats with them you don't necessarily have to fly with them).

For the import rules in NH:
this is what I found after much digging on the NH Agri site: (I know you're not selling your cat, but this may apply to non-sale cats)
http://agriculture.nh.gov/faq.htm#import
(http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rule...s/agr2100.html)
"PART 2112 DOGS AND CATS

Agr 2112.01 No Permit Required - Certificate of Veterinary Inspection Required.

(a) All dogs and cats brought or shipped into the state of New Hampshire for resale shall be:

(1) Inoculated against common canine or feline viral diseases within one year, but not less than 7 days, before entry; and

(2) Accompanied by a certificate of veterinary inspection issued by an accredited veterinarian.

(b) The accredited veterinarian shall certify on the certificate of veterinary inspection that the dogs and cats are free from visual evidence of contagious and infectious diseases.

(c) No person shall ship into the state of New Hampshire or offer for sale or resale in the state of New Hampshire any cat or dog less than 8 weeks of age.

Source. #2116, eff 8-12-82; ss by #2828, eff 8-20-84; ss by #4546, eff 12-16-88, EXPIRED 12-16-94

New. #6011, eff 3-28-95; ss by #6959, eff 3-23-99; ss by #8423, eff 8-31-05; ss by #8848, eff 3-21-07 (from Agr 2111.01)

Agr 2112.02 Rabies.

(a) Dogs and cats shall not enter the state of New Hampshire from an area under quarantine for rabies.

(b) Every dog and cat 3 months of age and older shall be vaccinated against rabies.

(c) Dogs and cats under 3 months of age shall be vaccinated within 30 days after they have reached 3 months of age.

(d) Dogs and cats shall be vaccinated with rabies vaccine approved by the National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians, Inc.

Source. #2116, eff 8-12-82; ss by #2828, eff 8-20-84; ss by #4546, eff 12-16-88; ss by #5704, eff 9-21-93; ss by #6011, eff 3-28-95; ss by #6959, eff 3-23-99; ss by #8423, eff
8-31-05; ss by #8848, eff 3-21-07 (from Agr 2111.02)"

I hope that helps some and I can really understand the stress you're having. And how you're struggling to find a workable solution for Oz...
Can you PM me with your timetables and I can see if there's going to be anyway possible I might help out?
She's 4 years old, up to date on all injections, healthy, had a vet check-up arranged to get her health certificate sorted, we're rabies-free here and the vet has been informed about the rabies jab to do once we're definitely travelling so all health related things are in hand so thankyou for that, everything IS covered but it's good to have a proper list to check(even though she's not for sale)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.