Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving back advice needed

Moving back advice needed

Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Davism1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back advice needed

Hi. I've been in the US, just outside San Francisco for just under a year. I'm now moving back to the UK and need to sell my car and some other small things. Mainly for the car, I have no idea where to start. Where is best to advertise, how can I estimate the value of my car, once I have a buyer what are the formalities? I've been working non-stop since being here and have no idea about any practicalities for these sort of things! ANY advice appreciated.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back advice needed

You can advertise your car in your local paper and also on the Autotrader website. As for the paperwork once you have a buyer I would go online for your local DMV and see what your states requirements are. The DMV website is very helpful. I also got a car report to give any potential buyers confidence that my car hadnt been in any accidents and had no finance outstanding, the Autotrader website will give you details on how to do that also.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 12:16 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Alternatively, you could lose out on a few bucks but guarantee a quick sale by taking it to one of the Carmax no-haggle car superstores.

Because they appraise your vehicle and make you an offer without asking whether you're buying a new one from them, they don't rip you off on the trade-in value like most dealerships. I've sold two cars to them, and both times they've offered me more than the Kelly Blue Book value - once by a couple of hundred dollars, and once by more than two thousand!

They seem to be pretty accepting of cosmetic damage (door dings etc.) and even of some mechanical issues that would cost the consumer a fortune. The van we sold to them (we didn't buy a car from them that time) had a complete transmission failure, and they still offered over the Kelly Blue Book "fair condition" value.

In my mind, the advantage of selling it this way is that you can choose exactly when you want to sell, which is a huge bonus when you're emigrating. Simply turn up at Carmax with your title papers, spare key(s) and ID (someone remind me if you need anything else) and you can be out of there within 2-3 hours with a check.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 12:20 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davism1234 View Post
Hi. I've been in the US, just outside San Francisco for just under a year. I'm now moving back to the UK and need to sell my car and some other small things. Mainly for the car, I have no idea where to start. Where is best to advertise, how can I estimate the value of my car, once I have a buyer what are the formalities? I've been working non-stop since being here and have no idea about any practicalities for these sort of things! ANY advice appreciated.
In terms of cheap advertising that reaches a wide audience - when selling my car in the UK before moving here I used eBay. I got lots of interest within the first couple of days and had a selection of people come and visit to look at it. I think I got a fair price too. Maybe someone on here has experience of doing a similar thing in the US?
Old Jan 18th 2007, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Marmitemaniac is an unknown quantity at this point

Craigslist is pretty good for the small items.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 2:21 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Craigslist is good for selling your car too - along with all your stuff. I think it started in the bay area and tons of people use it and its free.

Car value - kelly blue book, NADA, edmunds all can assist with guideline "value".

Need your title and/or bill of sale to sign and give to the buyer. Also check on emission requirements.. in alot of states, the seller (dealer included) is responsible for ensuring the car passes emissions. If you sell it "as-is" (with all faults and no warranty, expressed or implied) put it in writing in the bill of sale. Check with the DMV or the county clerk office where you registered your vehicle, either will be able to tell you what you need regarding your car.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000 View Post
Alternatively, you could lose out on a few bucks but guarantee a quick sale by taking it to one of the Carmax no-haggle car superstores.

Because they appraise your vehicle and make you an offer without asking whether you're buying a new one from them, they don't rip you off on the trade-in value like most dealerships. I've sold two cars to them, and both times they've offered me more than the Kelly Blue Book value - once by a couple of hundred dollars, and once by more than two thousand!

They seem to be pretty accepting of cosmetic damage (door dings etc.) and even of some mechanical issues that would cost the consumer a fortune. The van we sold to them (we didn't buy a car from them that time) had a complete transmission failure, and they still offered over the Kelly Blue Book "fair condition" value.

In my mind, the advantage of selling it this way is that you can choose exactly when you want to sell, which is a huge bonus when you're emigrating. Simply turn up at Carmax with your title papers, spare key(s) and ID (someone remind me if you need anything else) and you can be out of there within 2-3 hours with a check.
Hear, hear - I'm a fan of Carmax too, selling or buying. They are a breath of fresh air to the car world.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 4:58 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly Blue Book is the place to start, because it is what most buyers will check before making an offer. Craigslist, Ebay, and your local papers are pretty good sites, but in some areas you can just park with a for sale sign and see what it gets.

Carmax, however, is a really nice option. Lower than the KBB price, but no hassles.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 5:04 pm
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

If you have any items that might be difficult to sell, but too good to throw away, try Freecycle.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

I seem to recall that the CA DMV is pretty anal on forms when you sell, there was a "release of interest" form in addition to all the other stuff, which some other states don't have.....
The plates stay on the car, check that though, in case it changed....

Its worth a trip to the DMV just to grab all the correct forms. Course you will have to wait in 5 lines to find out which ones you need ..............
Old Jan 18th 2007, 6:27 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marmitemaniac View Post
Craigslist is pretty good for the small items.
Unfortunately you have to pronounce it creg's list which for me is an instant turn-off.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 7:24 pm
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma View Post
.....Its worth a trip to the DMV just to grab all the correct forms. Course you will have to wait in 5 lines to find out which ones you need ..............
CA DMVs offer appointments - can be booked online or by phone (though usually need to book a couple of weeks ahead)
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a lot of success selling household goods on criagslist in the Bay Area. Anything left can be given away to charity for a tax deduction