Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any other Brit Mums in NYC?

Any other Brit Mums in NYC?

Old Jan 8th 2007, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

giraffemoon is a name known to allgiraffemoon is a name known to allgiraffemoon is a name known to allgiraffemoon is a name known to allgiraffemoon is a name known to allgiraffemoon is a name known to allgiraffemoon is a name known to allgiraffemoon is a name known to allgiraffemoon is a name known to allgiraffemoon is a name known to allgiraffemoon is a name known to all
Default Any other Brit Mums in NYC?

Hi, I thought I would post here to see if there is anyone else in the same boat as me. I moved to NYC 3 years ago, living in Brooklyn, with my 2 yr and 12m old babies.. Feeling so lonely. Husband works full time, so I am alone with the kids all day every day (cept wkends!) In a city so big I can't believe I feel so alone. I came from a tiny village in Scotland, and have lived in Glasgow, and London, but this is different. Finding it really hard to make friends, and feeling homesick quite a lot. Especially now I have children, I miss my family and old friends more than ever.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any other Brit Mums in NYC?

Originally Posted by giraffemoon
Hi, I thought I would post here to see if there is anyone else in the same boat as me. I moved to NYC 3 years ago, living in Brooklyn, with my 2 yr and 12m old babies.. Feeling so lonely. Husband works full time, so I am alone with the kids all day every day (cept wkends!) In a city so big I can't believe I feel so alone. I came from a tiny village in Scotland, and have lived in Glasgow, and London, but this is different. Finding it really hard to make friends, and feeling homesick quite a lot. Especially now I have children, I miss my family and old friends more than ever.
Welcome to BE, stay around this lot will help you through, sorry I'm not in your neck of the woods, but know how you feel very much chin up darling
Old Jan 8th 2007, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

hiya from houston and welcome to BE....know what you mean, been here 5 long years and just doing time ...glad you found us
Old Jan 8th 2007, 6:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

there's quite a few in NYC and around...

have a look here- http://www.frappr.com/beusa
Old Jan 8th 2007, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

giraffemoon is a name known to allgiraffemoon is a name known to allgiraffemoon is a name known to allgiraffemoon is a name known to allgiraffemoon is a name known to allgiraffemoon is a name known to allgiraffemoon is a name known to allgiraffemoon is a name known to allgiraffemoon is a name known to allgiraffemoon is a name known to allgiraffemoon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob

Thank you I will take a look now. I love New York, I just wish I could make friends, it's like being back at school, but without the people being around. I feel awkward if you know what I mean.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob

I dont know how to use that site!
Old Jan 8th 2007, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you I will take a look now. I love New York, I just wish I could make friends, it's like being back at school, but without the people being around. I feel awkward if you know what I mean.
Hello and welcome. I know exactly how you are feeling as I was in a similar situation when we first arrived here. I was lucky though and made friends very quickly, mostly by hanging out with my son at one of the pools in our neighborhood. I also joined a MOPS group in my area for Mothers Of Pre Schoolers which has been really great! These groups usually originate through your local Church but they are not all in your face religion as we don't really attend church or anything. Maybe you could have a look for one or something similar in your area. Good luck!!
Old Jan 8th 2007, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Where in Scotland are you from? I'm from East Kilbride and my grandparents are in Girvan. Maybe you could pm me and we could have a chat about the old place.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 6:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know how to use that site!
just click on the map and zoom in, though it appears only one person has pinned themselves to the map in NY.

Englishmum is in NY, and if you do a search hfor her posts, you'll see her responding to plenty of questions by people who have or are moving to the state, so you'll find members that way
Old Jan 8th 2007, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
Hello and welcome. I know exactly how you are feeling as I was in a similar situation when we first arrived here. I was lucky though and made friends very quickly, mostly by hanging out with my son at one of the pools in our neighborhood. I also joined a MOPS group in my area for Mothers Of Pre Schoolers which has been really great! These groups usually originate through your local Church but they are not all in your face religion as we don't really attend church or anything. Maybe you could have a look for one or something similar in your area. Good luck!!
I need to join a playgroup or something. I work from home and with having the 2 babies it's hard to find the time. But I need to, because I am getting depressed.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 7:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I need to join a playgroup or something. I work from home and with having the 2 babies it's hard to find the time. But I need to, because I am getting depressed.
that and check the local library, they usually have notices for things going on in the area...and also check out that things to do in NY thread that Sarah started, I think it was her...anyway, plenty of things to do and see in that thread
Old Jan 8th 2007, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm really sorry to hear that you feel that badly. I totally understand as I was the same when we first arrived. It probably took me two months or so before I started to feel better. Everything was new to me as I worked in the UK and now I had this crazy four year old to take care of and in a new country too!
I registered my son in soccer also to try and meet people and also for him to make friends. I know that you feel pretty lousy now but honestly it will get easier. Take it from somebody who has been there.
I know I'm not in your neck of the woods but please pm me if you need to chat.
Take care!

Lynne x
Old Jan 8th 2007, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
I'm really sorry to hear that you feel that badly. I totally understand as I was the same when we first arrived. It probably took me two months or so before I started to feel better. Everything was new to me as I worked in the UK and now I had this crazy four year old to take care of and in a new country too!
I registered my son in soccer also to try and meet people and also for him to make friends. I know that you feel pretty lousy now but honestly it will get easier. Take it from somebody who has been there.
I know I'm not in your neck of the woods but please pm me if you need to chat.
Take care!

Lynne x
I think being where you are may be easier. New York City is really different for me, there isn't really a neighbourhood feel, so it's hard to speak to people. I guess when the kids get to school age it will be different.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Does your 2 yr old go to Day Care or anything?
I know this may sound like a rather stupid idea but our local McDonalds does a play group thing every Wednesday morning, it's just an idea.... maybe you could check that out. Also I find that taking my son to the park early on in the morning is usually a time when it's really busy with mums and kids of all ages.
Just a couple of suggestions as your kids have a few years yet before they are school age!
I know that I am lucky where I am, there are lots of stay home moms here and also a real sense of community. I still have really bad days though when I can't be bothered getting out of bed or doing anything. I miss my friends and family from back home all the time.
I'm off to Scotland on the 22nd for three weeks. It'll be my first trip back since making the move. I'll be in tears though when I say cheerio to my friends here.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya, and welcome. Sorry to hear you're feeling alone, I think most of us know how that feels. When you say 12m old babies, do you have twins? 'Cause I'm sure there would be a MOMS (moms of multiples) group in NYC. You could always take the kids to My Gym or Gymboree type places, although I don't know about you but I hate joining groups.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.