Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving with animals

Moving with animals

Old Feb 11th 2017, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Littlej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving with animals

Hi! Looking for peoples' experiences having moved from UK to US with animals (we have a cat currently). Would not consider having him in cargo. I've found a comprehensive list of airlines who allow them in cabin, do they really make you keep them in carriers the whole flight? Did you have to sedate your animal at all? How did you handle feedings/restroom? Any tips on how to prepare cats for this type of experience (having them travel frequently maybe in the car for a start? I don't know.)? Any issues with quarantine or the like? Or everything ok with proper vet documentation and pet passport?
Old Feb 11th 2017, 8:37 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with animals

My cats flew as luggage, in generously proportioned secure carriers, with food and water dishes attached. I am sure they were less stressed in the (presumably dark) hold than they would have been in the cabin with lots of people, noise and disturbances. If one had been under the seat he would have been stressed by me not being able to hold/feed/fuss him. On arrival at the outsize baggage collection point at JFK both cats were relaxed and quiet.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lizzyq
My cats flew as luggage, in generously proportioned secure carriers, with food and water dishes attached. I am sure they were less stressed in the (presumably dark) hold than they would have been in the cabin with lots of people, noise and disturbances. If one had been under the seat he would have been stressed by me not being able to hold/feed/fuss him. On arrival at the outsize baggage collection point at JFK both cats were relaxed and quiet.
That's good to hear, I feel like I've been hearing about a lot of horror stories lately with animals riding in cargo unfortunately.
Did they have to be detained or anything or just went home with you?
Old Feb 12th 2017, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littlej
Would not consider having him in cargo.
I urge you to reconsider... or leave the cat at home.

I've found a comprehensive list of airlines who allow them in cabin...
You'd best hope that no one in the cabin is allergic to cats! Many people are - and it's not something that's screened for when purchasing air tickets. Cabin air is usually recirculated... so you'd be opening yourself up for legal action.

... do they really make you keep them in carriers the whole flight?
Yes.

Ian
Old Feb 12th 2017, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like I've been hearing about a lot of horror stories lately with animals riding in cargo unfortunately.
Largely, that's because those are the only ones worth posting about. When there are no problems - and in the vast majority of cases there are no problems - you don't generally hear peep one about it.

Ian
Old Feb 12th 2017, 11:58 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I do wish whatever 'horror' stories about pets travelling in the hold of an aircraft would be put to rest.

We flew two cats from the UK to New Zealand which is two long haul flights + one internal flight and they were perfectly fine and dandy when the landed. Clean and healthy Bright eyed and it was all just one big snooze to them.

Your pet will be kept in a crate for the whole flight as it should be. That is just as you would if you took your pet in your vehicle to the vet. Keeps them safe .

All you need do is choose a suitable pet carrier and let them take the strain.

I would urge you to chat with Golden Arrow and talk through your concerns.

The animals do not fly in sub-zero temperatures next to baggage. They fly in the hold. Have some food and mainly water. Do not need sedation and should not have that anyway. You leave it to the airline which will be registered to carry animals.

Please. Talk to a pet carrier . Your cat will be perfectly fine .

Oh - and please do think about other passengers on any plane when suggesting to fly your pet with you. Some do not like cats/dogs. Some are fearful of cats/dogs and some are allergic.

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 13th 2017 at 12:00 am.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS;12178298

SNIPPED
[I
Oh - and please do think about other passengers on any plane when suggesting to fly your pet with you. Some do not like cats/dogs. Some are fearful of cats/dogs and some are allergic[/I].
Quite right Bevs. Not all of us are animal lovers(not haters, just not lovers) and my wife is allergic to cat hairs.any airline that allows pets in the cabin will not have me as a customer!
The hold is pressurised and above freezing so perfectly safe.
At the risk of being flamed, I have to admit that I do wonder why so many people want to take their pets to the other side of the world with all that entails. I can just about understand if it is young and thus has a good few years life left, but is it worth it for older ones? Surely better to try and rehome them and get a new pet when you've settled in your new home.
Before you pet lovers jump down my throat, we live with my son and he has a pit bull - a real softie!
Old Feb 13th 2017, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
... and in the vast majority of cases there are no problems - you don't generally hear peep one about it.
I agree with this and it pretty much covers everything you can read reviews about.

Very few bother to leave positive reviews (I hardly ever do...), but many are quick to express displeasure!
Old Feb 13th 2017, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I urge you to reconsider... or leave the cat at home.

You'd best hope that no one in the cabin is allergic to cats! Many people are - and it's not something that's screened for when purchasing air tickets. Cabin air is usually recirculated... so you'd be opening yourself up for legal action.

Yes.

Ian
I would be having the cat with me at "home" in a few years when we move from England to the states, it's not for a holiday.
I don't think I would be liable legally if anyone were allergic, this is something airlines are responsible for. I'm assuming this based on my father being an airline pilot (non international in the states) and them having completely peanut free re: snacks flights if anyone is allergic. And in my research thus far nothing's remotely been mentioned of this
Old Feb 13th 2017, 4:21 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

That's good to hear, I feel like I've been hearing about a lot of horror stories lately with animals riding in cargo unfortunately.
Did they have to be detained or anything or just went home with you?
No detention at any point. Here is a link to my posts on the preparation and journey back in 2014 http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5.../#post12150885
Old Feb 13th 2017, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

I would be having the cat with me at "home" in a few years when we move from England to the states, it's not for a holiday.
Yah, I figured you were moving. I didn't actually think you'd agree with my suggestion... but that option always exists.

I don't think I would be liable legally if anyone were allergic, this is something airlines are responsible for.
It's so easy to shift blame, that no one even thinks about taking responsibility anymore! It's not your fault it's a cat. It's not your fault you're moving. It's not your fault the cabin uses circulated air. It's not your fault there are other people on board! At what point do you accept responsibility for your actions? For taking a cat in the cabin? That's on you! You would be deliberately and negatively affecting the comfort, pleasure, and health of someone on board that flight... and you feel no responsibility at all? I'm astounded!

I'm assuming this based on my father being an airline pilot (non international in the states) and them having completely peanut free re: snacks flights if anyone is allergic.
As I already noted, animal allergies are not generally screened for.

And in my research thus far nothing's remotely been mentioned of this
You must not be very good at research! There are threads on BE about flying and animal allergies that go back a good 10 years!

Ian
Old Feb 13th 2017, 6:23 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! Looking for peoples' experiences having moved from UK to US with animals (we have a cat currently). Would not consider having him in cargo. I've found a comprehensive list of airlines who allow them in cabin, do they really make you keep them in carriers the whole flight? Did you have to sedate your animal at all? How did you handle feedings/restroom? Any tips on how to prepare cats for this type of experience (having them travel frequently maybe in the car for a start? I don't know.)? Any issues with quarantine or the like? Or everything ok with proper vet documentation and pet passport?
Depends on which coast you're going to as well. When we moved to the US, my elderly dog made the trip in pampered comfort on the Queen Mary 2 from Southampton to New York, accompanied by my parents. The crossing was 7 days and she was very chilled and relaxed when I picked them up from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. Cunard also take cats on transatlantic crossings.

Something to consider if you're looking at the North-Eastern US.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 7:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hmvsdog
Depends on which coast you're going to as well. When we moved to the US, my elderly dog made the trip in pampered comfort on the Queen Mary 2 from Southampton to New York, accompanied by my parents. The crossing was 7 days and she was very chilled and relaxed when I picked them up from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. Cunard also take cats on transatlantic crossings.

Something to consider if you're looking at the North-Eastern US.
I believe the QM2 kennels are usually booked up more or less immediately they are released...approx 1 year from the cruise date. It is possible to be put on the wait list...at least one BE member has obtained a kennel this way.

The last time I was in the QM a butler in a red jacket carried around a little white dog on a red cushion throughout the cruise. He was trotting behind a little old lady dripping from head to foot in Chanel.

Obviously this was a service dog as it was seen throughout the ship.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 13th 2017 at 7:05 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 7:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I don't think I would be liable legally if anyone were allergic
I'm not slamming you for this post as you clearly love your cat as much as I love mine. So you want your cat with you for you. However, the cat is a cat and will experience any flight in a different way entirely.

You may / may not be liable but you would be 100% responsible if someone who had booked their flight seat in good faith & who had a fear/allergy to cats found themselves in difficulties from being confined with your pet .

The best place for a pet to air travel is in the pet hold of the aircraft. Where it is quiet and calm . Away from disturbing unfamiliar noises and odours. Where they can simply settle and sleep.

As I wrote , I've done this with two cats .

In the best interests of the cat ( or dog or.... horse - yup they are air transported too) do not make them suffer being packed in with people.
In the best interests of other passengers, do not make them have to allow for your pet . It is not that comfy a way to travel as it is.

Of course, some airlines may allow pets in passenger cabins within their carry crates . Goodness knows how that is for a cat that is nervous of dogs or barks. Or a dog that yearns to rattle a cat. That , I suppose, is about the owner of the pet and their wants. Not about the pets themselves.

Please have that chat with Golden Arrow. They really will put your mind at rest and guide you what will be best for your pet.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 8:05 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I believe the QM2 kennels are usually booked up more or less immediately they are released...approx 1 year from the cruise date. It is possible to be put on the wait list...at least one BE member has obtained a kennel this way.
I got lucky I think. I booked our kennel with about 2 months to go before the boat left. They have just expanded pet capacity on the QM2 as well, so you never know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.