Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to America and very worried.

Moving to America and very worried.

Old Nov 23rd 2022, 12:43 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to America and very worried.

You will not have an issue living in America. In fact most Americans get on well with British people.
Old Nov 23rd 2022, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squidman
I have the visa issues sorted out, and i'm going to be moving to the US next year (January) to Columbus Ohio due to my company transfer from the UK to the US. I am really thinking of not going due to the massive anti British sentiment in the US. Everything I read from reddit, twitter, tiktok, online news etc.. It seems Americans really hate British people, accents, culture with an absolute passion, are my fears unfounded or is there a general anti Britsh sentiment in America? will I have to change my accent so Americans don't give me so much hate for the way I talk and mock me?

thanks for comments in advance.
How about an Eastern European accent in the UK, is that welcome?
Old Nov 24th 2022, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

bremmner is an unknown quantity at this point

So what are you doing now that you've turned that transfer down squidy ? You still in your old job or did they fire your ass ?
Old Nov 25th 2022, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Most of you are not in my age bracket (20's) and that the demographic that is the most common on reddit and twitter. A young person like me could never ever interact with American my age without myself getting abuse.
I wonder how much of this is “projection”.
Old Nov 26th 2022, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Dmac_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfounded concern. The USA is one of the more genuinely multicultural parts of the world.

There is more anti-American sentiment in the UK than there is anti-British sentiment in the US. It's true when they say that UK-based people probably think of the US frequently, but people in the US rarely think of the UK at all. Sorry, you're not prominent enough on the world stage to be hated!
Old Nov 26th 2022, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dmac_
There is more anti-American sentiment in the UK than there is anti-British sentiment in the US.
So true. And anti-immigrant sentiment as a whole, especially post-Brexit.
Old Nov 26th 2022, 9:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dmac_
.... There is more anti-American sentiment in the UK than there is anti-British sentiment in the US. ....
Which seems to be a lingering hangover from WWII (when Americans were "over paid, over sexed, and over here"), and yet the UK seems to drift ever closer to being the "51st State", with Halloween being observed including trick-or-treating, secondary schools having "senior proms", and IIRC something like 20% of British citizens reporting observing Thanksgiving, according to a BBC article a few years ago. And those have all taken off in the 21 years since I left the UK, when they were virtually unheard of.
.... It's true when they say that UK-based people probably think of the US frequently, but people in the US rarely think of the UK at all. ....
If you move in military/ veteran circles, it is well known and recognized that, rightly or wrongly, the UK has been the most consistent US ally in various conflicts over the past 40+ years, either through direct participation, and/or allowing use of airbases in the UK, notably Fairford for B-52 flights.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 26th 2022 at 9:16 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2022, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

toluani is an unknown quantity at this point

I’ve seen many posts of Reddit and Quora and I actually think there are significantly more anti American sentiments and posts there than vice versa.

You see it even in the likes of the dailymail when reporting something that involves Americans and the comments from Brits are very negative and insulting.

Also many of the triggering posts on Quora are troll posts aimed at getting people going at each other and for some reason people respond with essays and essays to questions that are so obviously trolls eg why doesn’t the US just take over Canada? why is everyone poor in the UK? Why is America so much better than the UK etc. Common sense should tell you they are not real questions.

Quora pays people to ask questions that bring lots of responses and one way to do that is to ask a question that will trigger people to respond angrily and passionately.

Anyway long way to say Americans don’t hate Brits and will not be bothering you because you’re from the UK, infact Brits are more likely to make snide comments at Americans in the UK than vice versa. Making snide comments like oh what the hell is soccer, oh Americans are this and that. I’ve seen this when I was in the Uk and since moving to the US 6 years ago I haven’t had any issues cause I’m British.

interesting how powerful social media is to create such distortions and concern for you.

Well I have never been to America before so I wanted to find out what Americans though about British people, and to be honest stuff that Americans say about British/English people makes me very depressed and angry, they never seem to target any other nationality with such hate like they do with the British, I never ever see anything positive about British people (Americans do say lots of positive things about other nationalities but not the British), real people use social media and a lot of them my age (mid 20's) so it can't just be written off as social media, though it has to be said the responses i've read have been very surprising to say the least.

I'm never lived in another country and this is going to be a huge move and I don't want it to be huge mistake.

Last edited by toluani; Nov 27th 2022 at 2:55 am.
Old Nov 27th 2022, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

hahahahahahahahahaha yeah you’re a troll, good luck with the future lol

I've decided against the move, it's way to risky and the hate on twitter and reddit from Americans is getting unbearable so for my safety and psychology I can't do this move, it's for the best.
Old Nov 27th 2022, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

There are so many different nationalities in the US that you will be fine. Yes there at be the odd idiot same as every other country but most people are not going to bother you. As long as they can understand you, and with time you will also adjust.

Originally Posted by destone
How about an Eastern European accent in the UK, is that welcome?
Old Nov 28th 2022, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Dmac_ is an unknown quantity at this point

I've decided against the move, it's way to risky and the hate on twitter and reddit from Americans is getting unbearable so for my safety and psychology I can't do this move, it's for the best.
It's probably for the best he's decided against the move - the company sponsoring him to send him to Mars as a rocket scientist might hear his British accent and get out the pitchforks on the first day of his job. Who knows what untold horrors await him in the wild west? It's a dangerous world for a Britisher.
Old Nov 29th 2022, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Lee B is an unknown quantity at this point

Over worrying! I am living here and have travelled to 18 different states never did I experience not one issue because of my British accent; in fact, most encounters I come across rather enjoy the British accent; on the odd occasion, brits weather and food pop up in small conversations but all done in light-hearted.
Old Nov 30th 2022, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

I think the OP is Adrian Petterson