Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to America and very worried.

Moving to America and very worried.

Old Nov 10th 2022, 12:09 pm
Banned

squidman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to America and very worried.

I have the visa issues sorted out, and i'm going to be moving to the US next year (January) to Columbus Ohio due to my company transfer from the UK to the US. I am really thinking of not going due to the massive anti British sentiment in the US. Everything I read from reddit, twitter, tiktok, online news etc.. It seems Americans really hate British people, accents, culture with an absolute passion, are my fears unfounded or is there a general anti Britsh sentiment in America? will I have to change my accent so Americans don't give me so much hate for the way I talk and mock me?

thanks for comments in advance.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 12:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to America and very worried.

TikTok/Reddit etc aren't exactly known for places to do quality research. Short answer, you'll be fine.

Good luck with the move.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 1:06 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Can’t speak to OH, in NYC / NYC metro area I would say it’s been neutral, and maybe a slight advantage in terms of dating (before I was married) and work (my field is very international anyway). I often get asked if I am from England due to the accent. I used say no and explain I was schooled there, but now I just say yes to make it easier.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Most Americans I have interacted with love UK accents. If you get a stroppy Yank asking about your accent ask them what the official language of the US is. They will say it's American which is wrong then smugly reply it is actually English in most states and I speak English perfectly well as I am from England.

Nothing to worry about.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from a little light mocking over the Revolutionary war, British food being bland/bad, and dental reputation, I've not experienced any anti-British sentiment at all.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 1:44 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Been here over 25 years, and I still have a strong Scottish accent, travelled to every single state many times, and never once had anyone show me any hate or mock me. If anything, you get tired of people asking about your accent, and how you came over here. A lot of Americans are genuinely curious about people from other countries, and yes they may occasionally make jokes about the UK but it is in the form of small talk and not offensive, it’s usually just a way of starting a conversation. TikTok users are being extreme, looking for for a reaction and are not at all representative of the real world. You will be absolutely fine.

I think you are just nervous about the move in general, especially if you are moving by yourself. I did the same moving to Austin, Texas. It was an interesting first year adjusting to everything,but people were very helpful and friendly helping me out. You will likely have moments where you will wonder what you have done but they will be short lived. Just don’t compare everything to the UK, embrace the differences. I never looked back, and love the UK, but could not live there any more.

Last edited by Glasgow Girl; Nov 10th 2022 at 2:02 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never, in nearly 20 years, seen, heard or experienced any anti-British sentiment.

Maybe the occasional light-hearted banter. The absolute opposite of hate!
Old Nov 10th 2022, 2:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Most Americans I have interacted with love UK accents. If you get a stroppy Yank asking about your accent ask them what the official language of the US is. They will say it's American which is wrong then smugly reply it is actually English in most states and I speak English perfectly well as I am from England.

Nothing to worry about.
I'm in my 70's and NEVER EVER heard anyone say they speak American. They say they speak English. While we have different names for different items, we do speak a common language as the British and most Canadians.

BTW, the US does NOT have an official language.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 2:30 pm
Banned

squidman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
Been here over 25 years, and I still have a strong Scottish accent, travelled to every single state many times, and never once had anyone show me any hate or mock me. If anything, you get tired of people asking about your accent, and how you came over here. A lot of Americans are genuinely curious about people from other countries, and yes they may occasionally make jokes about the UK but it is in the form of small talk and not offensive, it’s usually just a way of starting a conversation. TikTok users are being extreme, looking for for a reaction and are not at all representative of the real world. You will be absolutely fine.

I think you are just nervous about the move in general, especially if you are moving by yourself. I did the same moving to Austin, Texas. It was an interesting first year adjusting to everything,but people were very helpful and friendly helping me out. You will likely have moments where you will wonder what you have done but they will be short lived. Just don’t compare everything to the UK, embrace the differences. I never looked back, and love the UK, but could not live there any more.
Thanks for the repley, I know Scottish people are British but Americans don't consider Scottish people British so only English people like myself, I should stated in my op that since Scottish and English people are viewed very differently in both people and accents. I am moving on my own jfyi.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 2:43 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

We have been over here in Pennsylvania for 8 years now and have not experienced any anti English sentiment. Yes there are differences of opinion on things, but not much more so than between different groups of Americans. As others have said social media does not give a balanced view of the USA and the biggest nutjobs shout the loudest!

Where in Ohio are you moving to?

Good luck and be ready to ask more questions on this forum when you need to, it really is a great resource.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 3:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squidman
but Americans don't consider Scottish people British so only English people like myself, I should stated in my op that since Scottish and English people are viewed very differently in both people and accents.
I'd be surprised if most Americans even noticed a difference, you'll probably be asked if you're Australian more than anything.

Honestly, I think you're worrying over nothing. There are plenty of things to concern yourself with moving to the US, that shouldn't even be on the list IMO.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squidman
I have the visa issues sorted out, and i'm going to be moving to the US next year (January) to Columbus Ohio due to my company transfer from the UK to the US. I am really thinking of not going due to the massive anti British sentiment in the US. Everything I read from reddit, twitter, tiktok, online news etc.. It seems Americans really hate British people, accents, culture with an absolute passion, are my fears unfounded or is there a general anti Britsh sentiment in America? will I have to change my accent so Americans don't give me so much hate for the way I talk and mock me?

thanks for comments in advance.

Methinks you're on social media too much ...........
Old Nov 10th 2022, 3:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Methinks you're on social media too much ...........
Sounds like a worrier to me or someone looking for an excuse not to make the move.

Americans don't dislike the Brits and many of us do know that Scotland is a part of the UK as is Northern Ireland and Wales. The US is inhabited by a worldwide population and many are not well educated, if educated at al, and many are over-educated.

I'd be more worried about living in Ohio then finding a gang of thugs in your area that hates Brits.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 4:15 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'd be surprised if most Americans even noticed a difference, you'll probably be asked if you're Australian more than anything.
That is 100% true! Never can figure out how why they think Australian. But back to the point, many Americans well understand that Scotland is part of the UK. For the most part, Americans are far from the stereotypes that many British people have. Perhaps the OP has never been over here, otherwise I can think of no reason why he would believe the rubbIsh on TikTok over real life. If that is the case he might want to fly over for a week or so before committing.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Why are we spending time answering a troll??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.