Reload this Page >

Moving with 21 year old

Moving with 21 year old

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

louispoppy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving with 21 year old

Hi
My husband has been offered a job in the states and us, the family, hope to move over with him. We have two children one 15 and the other 21, is it possible for our 21 year to be able to relocate with us?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 2:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with 21 year old

Originally Posted by louispoppy
Hi
My husband has been offered a job in the states and us, the family, hope to move over with him. We have two children one 15 and the other 21, is it possible for our 21 year to be able to relocate with us?
Not on the same ticket. And it would be unusual for a 21 y.o. to have qualifications suitable for supporting their own visa. There's always a student visa, but that's $$$.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

There was a similar post on this last year. I've put the link in for you, don't know if it'll help you any. Looks like unless he can come over on an F1, then he would have to stay behind.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674477

Sorry, this probably isn't what you wanted to hear but better finding out now, rather than later. Hope it all works out for you
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

louispoppy is an unknown quantity at this point

What kind of visa would he have to apply for if he didn't want to attend college? But wanted to work or is there no chance that he can move with us?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of visa would he have to apply for if he didn't want to attend college? But wanted to work or is there no chance that he can move with us?
What is he qualified in? Does he have a degree? Has he worked for a company for at least 12 months who also are in the USA? Without a degree or working for a company which has places both in the UK and US, and without going to college, he won't be able to come with you - sorry.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 3:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

His employer would apply.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not in this situation, but I have read the responses on the other thread and this one. It would appear the answer is a resounding NO!

I'm sure it is hard to think of leaving your adult child in another country (I did it, it wasn't easy!) But if they want to come, it will be on their own merits.

Wishing you the best of luck.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 3:28 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You could buy him a job. Figure around $200k for an E2. Or just buy him a green card @ $500k.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of visa would he have to apply for if he didn't want to attend college?
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA.

These are all the ways he has to get to the US. You need to research each one! If none of them are suitable (and it's entirely possible that'll be the case), he won't be coming to the US as anything other than a visitor. Alas, such is the fate of those over 21.

Ian
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

at 21, well unless you have dollars to invest in a company, he's realistically only got college as a route or nothing right now.

There might be Bunac type summer things he could do, but that's not really going to get him here for long.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:04 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously I must be wrong, but I always thought you had to be 21 or under, not just under 21 ie 20 or younger?
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
I always thought you had to be 21 or under, not just under 21 ie 20 or younger?
The day you turn 21 you are no longer classified as a "child" for US immigration purposes. You become a "son" or "daughter"... and the rules change as a result.

Ian
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold

I have a similar thing, we are moving back to NYC in a few months and my daughter is 20, she will be 21 in 6 months so Im told it will expire on her birthday.
You can sponsor them yourself Im just looking into that myself and not sure if you need a greencard or citizenship to do that. You have to prove you can support them.
Thats another option, although longer term.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 9:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gypsygirl
I have a similar thing, we are moving back to NYC in a few months and my daughter is 20, she will be 21 in 6 months so Im told it will expire on her birthday.
You can sponsor them yourself Im just looking into that myself and not sure if you need a greencard or citizenship to do that. You have to prove you can support them.
Thats another option, although longer term.
That's not an option for the OP really...unless you mean really long term...
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold

Just looking into it now, it can take years but at least there is a way. It seems quicker to get citizenship first than to do the greencard route, but that depends on personal situations. Legal permanent residents (ie greencard holders) can sponsor children. It can take 4 years on the greencard route, during which time they can be at college.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.