Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving $ foreign exchange agent?

moving $ foreign exchange agent?

Old Apr 24th 2014, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving $ foreign exchange agent?

Originally Posted by Owen778
When I moved most of my savings out of the UK last year, xe's rate was OK, but there were some that gave me a significant amount more money.
Originally Posted by tonrob
So how about listing them for the benefit of the OP?
Alchemy
Old Apr 24th 2014, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: foreign exchange agent?

Originally Posted by tonrob
So how about listing them for the benefit of the OP?
Sure. This is a non-exhaustive list:
xe.com
torfx.com
usforex.com (or ukforex.com) (I found them the best value of the online exchanges, but that may have changed)
hifx.com (possibly for UK residents only)
xoom.com
currenciesdirect.com
moneycorp.com

Also:
transferwise.com
This is a relatively recent start-up based on matching transfers going in opposite directions. The other sites listed make money by having different exchange rates depending if you're buying or selling. This company instead charge a fee, but use the mid-market exchange rate. When I transferred my UK savings, they had an attractive exchange rate, but transfers were limited to a few thousands pounds or dollars. I believe this limit is now much larger, but since their fee percentage seems not to reduce as the size of transfer goes up, they are unlikely to be competitive when you want to move large amounts.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: foreign exchange agent?

Originally Posted by Lvbrit
Thank you so much to those who answered, sorry to those were aggravated, I did actually search, to no avail!
I live in Nevada and the company advertising on this site is TOR EX. They tell me all I need to do is open an account on line , deposit funds and select my rate to transfer.
It seems suspiciously easy.
Are all the companies trading at the same rate. Are they all reputable? How do I check?
I have used TorFX many times for GBP to USD and they have been excellent in terms of exchange rate and service. They do only wire to the US so you need to know what your US bank might charge.