Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visa/ job searching landscaping work in the USA...

Visa/ job searching landscaping work in the USA...

Old Apr 25th 2014, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

scottish1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa/ job searching landscaping work in the USA...

Hi, I'm looking for some information and hoping that someone here can help me any.

My girlfriend of 4 years is moving to NYC for a graduate programme (Aug.14-Aug.15), and I intend to follow her out there for as long as possible. I'm a professional landscaper (self-employed) with over 12 years experience (I'm 30 y/o), and would be looking for similar work out there. I've been reading a lot online over the past month or so but there is just so much detailed information and I could use a little clarification to make sense of it all. My main queries are as follows:

1. I understand the H2B Visa is most suited for landscaping work but get the impression this is for less skilled gardening work etc. I am also aware that some landscaping companies hire through the H1-B visa - which is best for me?

2. I am personally a little confused as to why a US company would pay Visa fees for foreign worker as opposed to hiring within the US - will it be difficult to pre-arrange a job?

3. What is the best way of going about seeking out a job? I would imagine it's simply a case of contacting as many landscaping companies as possible, but I'm just not sure how I would sell myself in light on the fees and paperwork involved in hiring me.

If anyone has information that they think would be of help, it will be much appreciated. Moreover, is anyone has any specific insight into landscaping work in US/NY state, feel free to share!

Thanks for any info or advice

Paul
Old Apr 25th 2014, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa/ job searching landscaping work in the USA...

Welcome to BE, Paul.

OK - I assume you want the naked truth, and you're not going to like it, so here it is...

1. It is extremely unlikely that a company would fork out several thousand dollars for what is, very basically, a gardener! I don't mean to demean what you do, but that is most likely how it would be viewed. Again, not meaning to be anything but truthful, most landscaping companies are small, owner-operated businesses that are extremely unlikely to hire anyone at much more than minimum wage, making it even less likely they will pay for your visa.

2. Yes, I suspect, very difficult. Most workers in this field are mexican (around here in Georgia, anyway), so I can't see anyone paying for a visa for a foreign worker as stated above.

3. There is no 'best way' as ANY way will most likely be fruitless.

Sorry to be the bearer of less than good news. If you do decide to try, let us know how it goes and, if by some miracle, you get in, I will be the first to congratulate you!

Good luck.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 1:37 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottish1
Hi, I'm looking for some information and hoping that someone here can help me any.

My girlfriend of 4 years is moving to NYC for a graduate programme (Aug.14-Aug.15), and I intend to follow her out there for as long as possible. I'm a professional landscaper (self-employed) with over 12 years experience (I'm 30 y/o), and would be looking for similar work out there. I've been reading a lot online over the past month or so but there is just so much detailed information and I could use a little clarification to make sense of it all. My main queries are as follows:

1. I understand the H2B Visa is most suited for landscaping work but get the impression this is for less skilled gardening work etc. I am also aware that some landscaping companies hire through the H1-B visa - which is best for me?

2. I am personally a little confused as to why a US company would pay Visa fees for foreign worker as opposed to hiring within the US - will it be difficult to pre-arrange a job?

3. What is the best way of going about seeking out a job? I would imagine it's simply a case of contacting as many landscaping companies as possible, but I'm just not sure how I would sell myself in light on the fees and paperwork involved in hiring me.

If anyone has information that they think would be of help, it will be much appreciated. Moreover, is anyone has any specific insight into landscaping work in US/NY state, feel free to share!

Paul
Is your girlfriend a US citizen, and if so, are you planning to get married? That is the best (and possibly only) route to you living and working in the US under the circumstances you have described.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 1:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I am also aware that some landscaping companies hire through the H1-B visa - which is best for me?
You're aware that unless you are cap exempt, you've missed the boat for this year and that even if you can find an employer prepared to apply for you in 2015, you wouldn't be able to start until October 2015? So even if you were eligible for a H1-B (I'd think it unlikely) that might answer that question!
Old Apr 25th 2014, 1:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

Landscaping in many states is seasonal work...April to October. As already stated the companies are usually small...owned by an American but all the workers are Mexican. I think most are undocumented day workers and are paid a pittance...of course there is no holiday allowance, healthcare etc. They are extremely hard workers and only break for a quick lunch. They work around 12 hrs per day 7 days a week...for 7 months. The work is brutal in the summer heat and humidity.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

'Guindalf', not offended, I did think this would be the case and appreciate your honesty. I take it the only reason companies bother with foreign workers is to make the fee costs back with cheap labour?

I will re-think my options...

Last edited by scottish1; Apr 25th 2014 at 2:28 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:18 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Paul
Landscapers in this area work spring/summer/fall in the gardens, and then switch hats to become snow ploughers in the winter. In lower CT the workers are mainly from South America -- Brazil, Colombia, Honduras -- and I recall there were many from Puerto Rico in Westchester county, NY.

If you search for posts by Brat1, her husband was able to obtain an H-1B as a he is highly qualified in the landscaping field, but it has been a very long-term project, to say nothing of a nightmare, that is ongoing. It wouldn't be worth your while to think of something like that as your friend would be returning home before you got the visa in place -- it is far too late to think of putting a plan together for August this year.

Frankly, I'd suggest keeping up your employment in the UK and spending vacations with your friend.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

'Guindalf', not offended, I did think this would be the case and appreciate your honesty. I take it the only reason companies bother with foreign workers is to make the fee costs back with cheap labour? ......
Er, ..... to be blunt, any "foreign" employees doing landscaping work in the US are quite likely (probably, .... almost certainly??? - I have no statistics, but annecdotally I believe it one of the two adverbs in the parentheses) not in the country legally, so there are no "fees".

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 25th 2014 at 2:42 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

'christmassoompa', I was not aware so thanks for info. Though I do resent your beaming smiley face somewhat.
Eh?!
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:31 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Eh?!
Take that grin off your face.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Ha, 'Pulaski', you're probably right on this.

Thanks for the info everyone. Long holiday it is.

* christmassoompa, I was referring to the smiley face that you have since edited out. Not antagonising, just found it funny
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:38 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info everyone. Long holiday it is.
By the way, don't think about applying for a B-2 in order to stay longer than 90 days in the US -- they are frequently refused when requested by people who are eligible for the VWP, and then the roll-on effect is that ESTA is also refused.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, don't intend to, don't think I could afford to coast along for more than 90 days without work
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

* christmassoompa, I was referring to the smiley face that you have since edited out. Not antagonising, just found it funny
I thought you meant my profile pic! BTW, it was a wink I edited, not a smile.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

No bother pal. Thanks nonetheless

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.