Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

movin to california..how do we get credit?

movin to california..how do we get credit?

Old May 9th 2007, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute
Question movin to california..how do we get credit?

My family and i are moving to california due to my husbands new job... have 20 million questions about the move However.. the one we are really struggling with is transfering our accounts and how to carry our good credit to the US.. I understand that it may be a case of building our credit from scratch :curse: ... but how can we even rent a property intially with no credit score?.. would a reference from our bank here be any good... mortagage payment statements?... Please can anyone help me through this minefield... my bank here are next to useless!!!

Many thanks.. sam!
Old May 9th 2007, 11:58 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: movin to california..how do we get credit?

http://britishexpats.com/articles/us...nce-in-the-us/
Old May 9th 2007, 4:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE....but please at least attempt to look through the site before asking faq's, because the answers are there to many of those general questions
Old May 10th 2007, 9:18 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink
My family and i are moving to california due to my husbands new job... have 20 million questions about the move However.. the one we are really struggling with is transfering our accounts and how to carry our good credit to the US.. I understand that it may be a case of building our credit from scratch :curse: ... but how can we even rent a property intially with no credit score?.. would a reference from our bank here be any good... mortagage payment statements?... Please can anyone help me through this minefield... my bank here are next to useless!!!

Many thanks.. sam!
In a nutshell, your UK credit cannot be transferred to the US.

If your husband is going to work for a major employer in your area, it's worth asking about discounts on apartment/house rentals. This gave us big discounts when we were apartment hunting.

Also, if your husband's employer belongs to a credit union, you may find it easier to open accounts, get a credit card, etc. through them.
Old May 10th 2007, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=sambapink;4755729]My family and i are moving to california due to my husbands new job... have 20 million questions about the move However.. the one we are really struggling with is transfering our accounts and how to carry our good credit to the US.. I understand that it may be a case of building our credit from scratch :curse: ... but how can we even rent a property intially with no credit score?.. would a reference from our bank here be any good... mortagage payment statements?... Please can anyone help me through this minefield... my bank here are next to useless!!!

Many thanks.. sam![/QUOT

welcome to BE...as others have said you will find lots of info on here re credit rating etc and getting started however i will say if you have a UK amex card they are usually very obliging and helpful in getting you started with USA amex....good luck btw
Old May 13th 2007, 8:30 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink

Many thanks.. sam!
Hello there and welcome. where abouts in CA and when are you moving. My famiily and I are also moving over there this summer due to husbands job. this site is brilliant for all kinds of information - as far as i know you turn up there like an outer space creature and build things up from scratch..... from what i have read, i dont think there is any other option. how you doing with house hunting?