Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moved to USA without a job...was it worth it?

Wikiposts

Moved to USA without a job...was it worth it?

Old Jun 16th 2014, 9:58 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved to USA without a job...was it worth it?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Come on, it's wall-to-wall idiot with little islands like NPR.

"And can you hear the sound of hysteria?
The subliminal mind **** America".
Lots of their content and correspondents are BBC I noticed.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 10:01 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

As far as Radio 4 goes, you may be as well listening to that online, then you won't have to find a substitute
Well, indeed. But that's my point. I have to look to home if I want intellectual, reliable, and intelligent news. Whenever I experience American news it's people yelling at each other, and generally acting like morons. No thanks.

I still watch Channel 4 News every night without fall, and wake up to Radio 4 Today. Thankfully.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I know, those were just the first two that sprang to mind.

Really, there are a lot of shows I happily watch on TV here. I just pick and choose and/or suspend disbelief as appropriate.
Not really news sources though. Mother of Dragons in child-burning scandal
Old Jun 16th 2014, 10:03 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Don't get me started on that, as applying AM and PM to noon and midnight is one of my pet peeves. ..... There is no such time as 12PM!
What gets me is American's I met can tell the time using the 24hr clock. Yet the general media / national policy is one of using perhaps the most basic form of time telling in the western world. Are Americans that stupid? No, of course not. Yet their government & media treats them as so.

Sally hit the nail on the head for the reason.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
What gets me is American's I met can tell the time using the 24hr clock. Yet the general media / national policy is one of using perhaps the most basic form of time telling in the western world. Are Americans that stupid? No, of course not. Yet their government & media treats them as so.

Sally hit the nail on the head for the reason.
You'd probably make a better point if you were at least grammatically correct.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
You'd probably make a better point if you were at least grammatically correct.
Who really gives a ****? If you can't understand what I have written because you're unable to interpret the word 'American's' over 'Americans' then your pedantry holds you back from understanding some rather insightful modern prose.

HTH HAND.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 3:58 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Not really news sources though. Mother of Dragons in child-burning scandal
I don't watch the news. To much opinion and too few goals or knockers for my liking
Old Jun 16th 2014, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayb
My husband moved over March 5th. He was a firefighter back in the UK and it's going to take a little work on his part to get qualified to work as a firefighter here in Texas. He just started his first job today as a delivery truck driver at Lowe's after we paid $1400 for his CDL certification. He's making a decent wage, not as good as his nice, stable job back in the UK, but he will keep looking.

It's tough leaving a stable situation to an unstable one and it's definitely been trying on both of us but we are doing our best to remain positive, be smart about spending the money we do have and we are looking forward to brighter days!
In the North Dakota oil patch cdl's are making mid to high five figures.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

The problem for me is the incredibly dumbed down society that exists here. That's my biggest bug bear. I cannot abide stupidity and have low tolerance for it. Heck, the mainstream here can't even tell the time properly without using AM or PM !

The media treat citizens like they're idiots, whilst politicians pay lip service to nationalistic bullshit. I miss the superior intellectualism that exists in England. I've yet to listen to anything here that comes close to Radio 4 for serious radio, for example.
Americans are apolitical, hate politics and the Government (authority). The English love politics, love to discuss politics and are deferent to authority.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say people despise politicians about the same both sides of the Atlantic.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Who really gives a ****? If you can't understand what I have written because you're unable to interpret the word 'American's' over 'Americans' then your pedantry holds you back from understanding some rather insightful modern prose.

HTH HAND.
I could say the same for you...
Old Jun 17th 2014, 3:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
Americans are apolitical, hate politics and the Government (authority). ....
So which nationality(ies) are the people who get saturated TV coverage every fourth year in the US, and which nationalities are watching?
Old Jun 17th 2014, 3:10 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

So which nationality(ies) are the people who get saturated TV coverage every fourth year in the US, and which nationalities are watching?
It's the Beautiful Game. Just let us enjoy it in peace.

At least its not ****ing ice hockey.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 3:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
.... At least its not ****ing ice hockey.
How many weeks to the next season?
Old Jun 17th 2014, 3:29 am
I have a comma problem

How many weeks to the next season?
WGAF?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.