Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moved to USA without a job...was it worth it?

Wikiposts

Moved to USA without a job...was it worth it?

Old Jun 14th 2014, 7:20 am
Just Joined

britishamerican is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moved to USA without a job...was it worth it?

Hello everyone,

I recently posted a thread about moving to usa without a job,and received a lot of useful information and advise from everyone.
Now, we are seriously considering our move and would like to know if you moved to the states, and how was your experience?
I understand everyone's circumstances vary and it may not be anything like my situation but I just want to know if you found the big move worth it?

Did you move to the states without a job? And was it all worth it in the end?

Thank you all for taking the time in posting replies.

BritAmerican
( Maybe its all a bit nosy, but I'm very curious and want to know your story, if it went well or not )
Old Jun 14th 2014, 7:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved to USA without a job...was it worth it?

I had a job to go to when I arrived, but I soon discovered that the job sucked, and my boss was an utter tosser; commuting, and working in NYC was not a pleasant experience either. I quit after eight months without a job to go to, and was unemployed for the first, and hopefully last time. It took me six months to find another job, and it all worked out. I do not anticipate ever returning to the UK to live.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 8:00 am
Just Joined

britishamerican is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Pulaski! How very adventurous! Atleast it turned out all well in the end.As far as we have decent jobs (enough to pay the bills) I wouldn't mind putting up with it until I find the job of my dreams and live nicely happily ever after in the states!

You do not enticipate moving back to the UK - so it was the right decision you took?
Old Jun 14th 2014, 8:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the USC. My Iranian husband and I did a K-1 fiancé visa back in 2003/2004. He moved from Turkey to the USA in order to marry me. He did not have a job lined up in the USA before he came here. He was self-employed in Turkey, so he hoped to do the same in the USA. As it turned out, there was no market for what he does (repairing antique oriental rugs) in Phoenix, so after 3 weeks of looking around our area, he contacted an acquaintance in the business in NYC. They wanted him to go there to work, but that was way too far from Phoenix (we didn't want me to leave my very stable, good paying job). So that friend referred him to someone he knew in Los Angeles, and my husband was able to go work in LA with that guy. After a couple of years, that guy moved back to Iran permanently, which was a lucky break for my husband, because he simply took over all that guy's clients and workload. Business has been pretty good for the past 10 years, although it remains in LA. So he spends most of his time working in LA and comes home to Phoenix for a weekend every few weeks. It works for us, and we're happy.

Rene
Old Jun 14th 2014, 8:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...ut-job-835877/ For reference on the job front.

I moved without a job.

The move was what it was. Neither shit, nor great and preference is made irrelevant either way now that we have kids.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 8:29 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Next week will be 10 years since I arrived in USA. The option that I can always go back if it does not work out, is still there.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to the US with no job and no intention of getting one. One of the main drivers for picking this side of the Pond to live on was the chance for me to be a housewife and then stay at home mum.

My USC fiance, now husband, has a good salary and benefits package which is what allows me to stay at home with babychog

Lx
Old Jun 14th 2014, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishamerican
Hello everyone,

I recently posted a thread about moving to usa without a job,and received a lot of useful information and advise from everyone.
Now, we are seriously considering our move and would like to know if you moved to the states, and how was your experience?
I understand everyone's circumstances vary and it may not be anything like my situation but I just want to know if you found the big move worth it?

Did you move to the states without a job? And was it all worth it in the end?

Thank you all for taking the time in posting replies.

BritAmerican
( Maybe its all a bit nosy, but I'm very curious and want to know your story, if it went well or not )
Neither my husband or I had jobs to go to when we arrived in the States, but we had a large nest egg to help out. It did work out being a lot longer for my husband to find work and after 10 months he finally found a contracting job. In the end that job led to permanent employment and yes 10 years later it was all worth it. It was a bit dicey at the beginning though, definitely not for the faint of heart.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 12:06 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i also came over as the spouse - and took the opportunity to become a stay at home mum for a few years. we even went for a third kid. but once she hit about 2 and a half i needed to get out of the house and found a job about 4 months after starting to look. i'm still there and doing very well (they even allowed me to transfer the job im in now from ohio to texas and work from home when my husbands job moved us again).

Have settled very well both times (ie UK to ohio, AND now Oh to TX) and have zero plans to go back to blighty.

Last edited by MsElui; Jun 14th 2014 at 1:09 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Since I came here I have had family and friends pass away. I can not think of any reason to go back.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Was it worth it in the end? I suppose you can never know until the end, and how you would have felt if you hadn't done something.

We came over for my husband to work in a new job. He has achieved a certain amount in that job, but there have been enormous frustrations too. We have not 'gelled' with the people or place to be honest. Nine years on we are going back, splitting the family because my son will finish his degree and probably stay on. It has been a learning experience.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

When we decided to get married, one of the reasons I moved over here was the fact that she had a job and I didn't. I came on a K1 and it took a little while to sort out employment authorization when I got here, so I was unable to work.

I was freelancing for a magazine group for a while and eventually got a full-time position.

Actually, I start a new job tomorrow after being with my previous employer for 12.5 years (with a two year gap after being laid off and working the job from hell and then being re-employed, but that's another story).
Old Jun 15th 2014, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved here without a job last year on a K-1. Gave up the 3 figure job I had wanted since school to come to the US and be a fairly low paying job here with hardly any bloody paid time off (for the first 2 years). Without a uni degree, my options are limited. Was it worth it? Hell yeah! I'm currently in the process of completely changing career by studying for my real estate license, better lifestyle, great wife and family, our first child on the way in Novemeber (I also have a 5 year old step daughter) and the greatest golf courses in the world on my doorstep. Like Pulaski, I don't ever envisage going back to live in the UK.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 1:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
...... there have been enormous frustrations too. We have not 'gelled' with the people or place to be honest. ......
If you don't love America and it's idiosyncracies, or accept them, or at very least tolerate them, then indeed you will never gel. America will never change, at least not much, so if you can't accept it for what it is, and join in, then you really do need to GTFO.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Moved to the US because of a job.
Laid off
Had 9 more jobs before starting my own business which, unfortunately, will delay me going home anytime soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.