Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Move US pension & 401k funds to UK

Move US pension & 401k funds to UK

Old Oct 5th 2016, 10:01 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move US pension & 401k funds to UK

Originally Posted by childmountain
Thanks nun.

It's a company pension.

I've not been able to find a value for the US-UK tax treaty rate. Your answer suggests it's zero - and hence I'd be taxed as a US citizen.

And I take it that it's too late to create an IRA - because I'm not resident?

Thanks again.
Payments from the company defined benefit pension will not be taxable in the US when paid to you in the UK. The tax rate is 0%.....that tax rate on the 401k is also 0%. However, there is mandatory 20% withholding from 401ks when paid to US reasidents, but US residents can choose 0% withholding on payments from defined benefits. Take a look at W-4P. The difficulty is that W-4P is only for US residents or citizens so even if Fidelity treats you as a resident because you are an NRA you can't use the form required to claim resident rates........stupid Fidelity. Ask them if they are treating you as a US resident if the DB pension can be taken with zero withholding.

Yes it's probably too late to open an IRA and roll over the 401k because you are an NRA
Old Oct 8th 2016, 9:59 am
Just Joined

childmountain is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, I'm going to write to Fidelity and the IRS and see what they say.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

The IRS will not reply unless you request a formal PLR from them: https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/t...letter-rulings
Old Oct 8th 2016, 1:02 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

My bet is that Fidelity will withhold 30% because the payment os going oversea's and they will just ignore the tax treaty and anything that you claim on the W-8BEN. You will then have to claim it all back on a 1040NR and of course do a UK self assessment to pay the UK tax.
Old Oct 9th 2016, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

There is something about an age 55 limit if the 401k is your original employer's 401k. If you rolled it over its definitely 59 1/2. Someone else on here may know the answer or might be worth doing a little research. That's the reason I haven't rolled mine over.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I have found an article describing when you can withdraw funds penalty free from your 401k at age 55

https://www.thebalance.com/401k-with...age-55-2388222

Unfortunately I think I was misinformed and I won't qualify. You have to be age 55 or over when you left your employer
Old Oct 16th 2016, 10:24 am
Just Joined

childmountain is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks mrken30 - I was younger than 55 when I left, too