Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Rabies shots from U.K to Florida

Rabies shots from U.K to Florida

Old Oct 17th 2016, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Jumping_tigger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rabies shots from U.K to Florida

Do my cats need to have a rabies shot to move to Florida ???
Old Oct 17th 2016, 10:28 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rabies shots from U.K to Florida

Yes. And you need to find out which type of vaccine - some states specify a "live" vaccine.

Vaccines have to be renewed annually.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 17th 2016 at 10:41 am.
Old Oct 17th 2016, 10:29 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jumping_tigger
Do my cats need to have a rabies shot to move to Florida ???
Cats | Bringing an Animal into U.S. | Importation | CDC

easy google search..
Old Oct 17th 2016, 10:36 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yes. And you need to find out which type of vaccine - some states specify a "live" vaccine.
from the CDC website..

<Cats are not required to have proof of rabies vaccination for importation into the United States. However, some states require vaccination of cats for rabies, so it is a good idea to check with state and local health authorities at your final destination.>
Old Oct 17th 2016, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Jumping_tigger is an unknown quantity at this point

So I'm assuming now, that although they don't need to have it for their requirements to fly to Florida. They do need to have it once we get there. Every 12 months, due to possible spread from Racoons and Bats.

At least they are house cats, so won't get attacked or eaten by any gators.

Thank you to any one pointing me in the right direction !!
😺😺😺
Old Oct 17th 2016, 3:03 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jumping_tigger
So I'm assuming now, that although they don't need to have it for their requirements to fly to Florida. They do need to have it once we get there. Every 12 months, due to possible spread from Racoons and Bats.

At least they are house cats, so won't get attacked or eaten by any gators.

Thank you to any one pointing me in the right direction !!
😺😺😺
Not hard to find in the FL statutes:

828.30 Rabies vaccination of dogs, cats, and ferrets.—(1) All dogs, cats, and ferrets 4 months of age or older must be vaccinated by a licensed veterinarian against rabies with a vaccine that is licensed by the United States Department of Agriculture for use in those species. The owner of every dog, cat, and ferret shall have the animal revaccinated 12 months after the initial vaccination. Thereafter, the interval between vaccinations shall conform to the vaccine manufacturer’s directions. The cost of vaccination must be borne by the animal’s owner. Evidence of circulating rabies virus neutralizing antibodies shall not be used as a substitute for current vaccination in managing rabies exposure or determining the need for booster vaccinations.

And it doesn't matter that they are house cats -- I've had the dogs chasing a lost bat around the house before now.