Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Move to Texas. Update(s). House, Car, Schools, Visa, Bank Account etc.

Move to Texas. Update(s). House, Car, Schools, Visa, Bank Account etc.

Old Oct 30th 2015, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Texas. Update(s). House, Car, Schools, Visa, Bank Account etc.

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
My advice for anyone bringing their kid into the US system after 9th grade and intends them to go to "college" here is to get the child to take as many exams as they will pass well. As Kodokan says, GPA and RIC low but brilliant SAT/ACT/IB/AP results will show a true picture.
Last year, I had my freshman son take his first run at the PSAT (he likes exams and is amiably biddable, so it was easy enough to to do). I thought this was a fairly mainstream if slightly-helicoptering parent thing to do for kids who have a good shot of making National Merit in a couple of years - after all, I'd only picked it up as a suggestion from a college planning website, so figured all the American parents knew this as a given.

I was slightly surprised, therefore, to find that out of a year group of over 900 - it was a very big school, in a 'good' area - my son was one of only 9 freshmen to turn up on test morning.

I also don't see why, if he's taken a course of study at high school, he WOULDN'T then take whatever exam is around that might give him credit somehow or get him out of college compulsories: APs, subject SATs, CLEP, whatever. It's probably our UK O level/ GCSE background - I don't see it at all as a big ask to have to do a bunch of exams at year-end, whereas parents I've mentioned it to shudder at the notion of a do-or-die test rather than a continuous assessment grade based largely on turning in homework regularly and participating in class.

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
BUT here is the kicker - make sure you go "non-traditional admissions" for the colleges. All the colleges will have at least one person in admissions used to dealing with international kids, kids that have been moved around a bit and you can get them to take the admission form and evaluate it separately from the hordes. Otherwise, as I said, RIC less than stellar and they will put it straight on the "perhaps" pile.
Excellent top tip! Shall remember that nearer the time.
Old Nov 1st 2015, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Texas. Update(s). House, Car, Schools, Visa, Bank Account etc.

Thanks for all the replies, especially from PF. As it happens son is going big on APs, that's our tactic as well as the "he's got English GSCEs" with the admissions of the universities. SO the special path would be useful...

As it happens we have something similar to a GPA report from his current UK school as they have a system that supported the now defunct E-Bacc. The councillor we saw in his Frisco School found this really useful. He's a smart kid and is going to work with his teachers to get on as many APs as he can. He's checked out the AP exams and reckons he could pass a couple already.

We got our visa in 10 actual minutes of being in front of the booths at the Embassy, but a 5 hour stay (because the computers were down for 4 hours). Their tactic to clear people through the emabssy seemed to be to process most people with two questions at most!

Oh and I don't have $700 x 4 in my pocket right now! I will have to have cheap android phones until I have sold my house and furnished my new one!!!

Now the hard work of actually moving and saying goodbye to loads of stuff...

Phone calls to PetairUK, T-Mobile, My US Bank, Moving Company, house Clearance company, airline etc all to do tomorrow...
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

If you still need a UK number for a while, you may want to look at togglemobile . It's cheap and allows you to have a UK and US number on the same phone. You can then port your number at a later date. you will need to do this before you leave the UK
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 7:46 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
If you still need a UK number for a while, you may want to look at togglemobile . It's cheap and allows you to have a UK and US number on the same phone. You can then port your number at a later date. you will need to do this before you leave the UK
Just get a Three SIM. It's free to receive calls on their PAYG service on your UK number in the USA. Bargain!
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Just get a Three SIM. It's free to receive calls on their PAYG service on your UK number in the USA. Bargain!
If you go down this route, might want to consider a dual sim phone.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute

I have Three. They give you 60 days a year international roaming and then turn the service off. (officially they give you less in their T&Cs).
We plan on using it for a month max, and then we will got T-Mobile. I'm used to cheap telecoms getting a lot of it for free or heavily discounted through my job. Not any longer...
Three have also just changed their policy, you now have to call them to enable the service. You used to be able to do it online, but not anymore. They check where you are calling from...
Old Nov 4th 2015, 3:05 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markcst
I have Three. They give you 60 days a year international roaming and then turn the service off. (officially they give you less in their T&Cs)
I've been here 3 years, and have only had my 3 service barred from Roaming once. It's really easy to work around, you just change the SIM card.The block is done at SIM card number. Simple.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markcst
He's a smart kid and is going to work with his teachers to get on as many APs as he can. He's checked out the AP exams and reckons he could pass a couple already.
By the time he arrives, he'll have missed almost half the school year - has he started studying for these already? Do you have a good online program for this? I'm thinking of doing an Associates Degree for fun, and it'd be nice to do a quick bit of study and test out of some credits for things I already know well, like English and French, or use them as evidence of prerequisites to get a better class placement.

Last edited by kodokan; Nov 4th 2015 at 5:21 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 12:44 am
Just Joined

Dotty70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Hungryhorace,
My husband and I have been here for 3 months and 2 weeks and we are using Three. We keep wondering when our roaming will be switched off!!! The Three shop told us that we would definitely get 3 months and after that we could send our sims back to England for them to be used in the UK (by a family member) and then put them back into our phones in the U.S. again.
Did you mean that you can just send off for a replacement sim from three?
Many thanks for your help,
Dotty
Old Nov 5th 2015, 2:03 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dotty70
Hi Hungryhorace,
My husband and I have been here for 3 months and 2 weeks and we are using Three. We keep wondering when our roaming will be switched off!!! The Three shop told us that we would definitely get 3 months and after that we could send our sims back to England for them to be used in the UK (by a family member) and then put them back into our phones in the U.S. again.
Ignore the idiots at the store; they probably have about 3 GCSEs between them.

Just keep using the SIM until it (finally) gets barred. You'll get a text message a few weeks ahead of time BTW.

Did you mean that you can just send off for a replacement sim from three?
I travel to the UK regularly, so last time I was back I just picked up a replacement SIM. Worked a treat!
Old Nov 5th 2015, 2:18 am
Just Joined

Dotty70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for the reply, did you just pick up a replacement sim with the same number?
Might get my son and his gf to pick up replacement sims for us both before they come in December!
Old Nov 5th 2015, 3:16 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dotty70
Cheers for the reply, did you just pick up a replacement sim with the same number?
Might get my son and his gf to pick up replacement sims for us both before they come in December!
Yep, I did. Exactly. Definitely ask them to bring over a couple of sims for you, just in case. You can always just activate them as new numbers, and then the clock resets remember.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 4:13 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

im in mckinney - so on the same side of the 121 to you- just the next town over on the east. We have been here 18 months. Liking it very much and happy with the move. shout if there is anything you need local suggestions for. (i can for example tell you about a local brit who runs a garage door repair company and another local brit who services air conditionining etc. Both very good at their stuff and they were very reasonably priced.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

I've been told to phone CoServ for electric/gas. Anyone got any experience of the amount in dollars of deposit they will want (or any other company will want) for service? Obviously I won't have an SSN for a couple of weeks.