Student Loans

Student Loans

Old Oct 29th 2015, 8:39 am
Just Joined

petrosmc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student Loans

Hi people.

You helped me a lot on the forum the last time, so I thought I would try again

I have a student loan from when i was university... I heard a rumour (MOST PROBABLY UNTRUE) that if youre out of the country for 2 years the fees expire? It may be wishful thinking but I was hoping someone could give me the low down on what happens.

Once working in the US should I set up a direct debit to pay back?

Many thanks again great group!
Old Oct 29th 2015, 9:04 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student Loans

Untrue. You're under both a contractual and a moral obligation to inform the loan body of how much you're earning, and continue to repay, regardless of where you live and work. You should set up a standing order / direct debit to repay.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 10:21 am
Just Joined

petrosmc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought so! Thanks for your response will set one up!
Old Oct 29th 2015, 11:53 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Good man!
Old Oct 29th 2015, 12:41 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You're under both a contractual and a moral obligation
There was a morality clause in the contract?
Old Oct 29th 2015, 1:07 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by civilservant
There was a morality clause in the contract?
Implied
Old Oct 29th 2015, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petrosmc
Thought so! Thanks for your response will set one up!
Halifax closed my bank account while I was in the USA. I ended up having to pay my student loans with a credit card from the USA. The fees were bad. I had no alternative as I had no financial presence in the UK.

Anyway, just make sure your bank account will not be closed when you are gone. No idea why they closed my account.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Implied
Agreed. I could have simply not paid as I was not going back to the UK. There is no mechanism for the Student Loan company to come after foreign debt. But it was my debt and I signed a contract.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 3:16 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by bewildering
Halifax closed my bank account while I was in the USA. I ended up having to pay my student loans with a credit card from the USA. The fees were bad. I had no alternative as I had no financial presence in the UK.

Anyway, just make sure your bank account will not be closed when you are gone. No idea why they closed my account.
Because they're shite. I had a hissy fit and closed all my / my wife's / my kids' accounts with them because of their ineptitude.

Anyway, glad you did the right thing and that the OP is going to, too. My daughter's done the same (she still has a UK a/c, so she's set up a DD).

FWIW, I've just opened a FairFX account, although that's for moving money in the opposite direction. Don't know if it can work for moving money to UK, but it's worth looking at coz -- so far -- it all seems easy, efficient and transparent. (I have no vested interested in them, just pleased to have found something that works.)
Old Oct 30th 2015, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Xoom.com allows you to pay some financial providers directly rather than transferring the money into your current account and paying the bill.When are your loans from? The older ones (pre-2012) get written off if you earn under a certain income for 25 years or so.
This link gives the earning threshold for repayments when you live in the US and how to convert it:
http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.u..._schema=PORTAL

Last edited by NatashaB; Oct 30th 2015 at 1:59 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Bristol1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Like some others have already said, you DO still need to pay it all back to the student loans company. They'll ask for your proof of address, employment and recent payslips to determine how much you'll be paying back each month. Then you'll be required to provide proof of earnings every single year so they can reevaluate the figure you're currently paying each month. I'm currently paying 75 quid a month off of a $50k salary.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Hi people.

I have a student loan from when i was university... I heard a rumour (MOST PROBABLY UNTRUE) that if youre out of the country for 2 years the fees expire? It may be wishful thinking but I was hoping someone could give me the low down on what happens.

If you're honest pay it back. If you don't feel like paying it back then they can't really do anything. After 6 or 7 years it all goes away.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 12:50 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Hi people.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. They're never going to come find you, and by the time you move back to the UK it'd be written off (25 years).
Old Nov 5th 2015, 1:19 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
Agreed. I could have simply not paid as I was not going back to the UK. There is no mechanism for the Student Loan company to come after foreign debt. But it was my debt and I signed a contract.
So did they, yet they're just about to change the T&C's.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...-student-loans

Don't pay the f'ers a penny more than you can get away with is my advice.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 1:19 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bristol1983
Like some others have already said, you DO still need to pay it all back to the student loans company.
No. You don't. It's purely a moral argument at this point given the OP's residency outside of the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.