Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mossie cream / spray

Wikiposts

Mossie cream / spray

Old Jul 29th 2012, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mossie cream / spray

Found the mozzies up here are resistant to deet so I use Repel citronella and eucalyptus spray which works great.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 12:27 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Yup - mossies in Chandler, to be precise. Apparently quite normal... This is our second summer here, and we wereeatenalive last year too. The city drove around at midnight a few days ago, spraying the trees & bushes... There's a fair bit of standing water around here... Small lakes around which many houses are built etc.
Are there any empty houses around you with pools that have gone green?

I have been living here for 12 years now and the only problem time was a year ago when a neighbor moved out and did not empty the pool.

If you find a green pool or just find the mosses are too bad you could call the county.

Availability of Mosquito Fish
The Maricopa County Vector Control Division offers residents a natural way to control mosquitoes in private drainage areas and water features. Vector Control staff will provide mosquito fish (Gambusia affinis) to residents wishing to stock them in their birdbaths, ornamental ponds or drainage ways. Maricopa County residents interested in obtaining the fish should call 602-506-0701, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Residents must first call for availability and then pick the fish up from Vector Control offices located at 3220 W. Gibson Lane, Suite 500, in Phoenix. To file a mosquito complaint, call 602-506-6616.

Additionally the city has an app you can load on your iPhone or Andriod phone to report issues and automatically create a work order in the city asset management system. For the iPhone just search for chandler in the app store.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drew.Dean
Are there any empty houses around you with pools that have gone green?

I have been living here for 12 years now and the only problem time was a year ago when a neighbor moved out and did not empty the pool.

If you find a green pool or just find the mosses are too bad you could call the county.

Availability of Mosquito Fish
The Maricopa County Vector Control Division offers residents a natural way to control mosquitoes in private drainage areas and water features. Vector Control staff will provide mosquito fish (Gambusia affinis) to residents wishing to stock them in their birdbaths, ornamental ponds or drainage ways. Maricopa County residents interested in obtaining the fish should call 602-506-0701, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Residents must first call for availability and then pick the fish up from Vector Control offices located at 3220 W. Gibson Lane, Suite 500, in Phoenix. To file a mosquito complaint, call 602-506-6616.

Additionally the city has an app you can load on your iPhone or Andriod phone to report issues and automatically create a work order in the city asset management system. For the iPhone just search for chandler in the app store.
I think you are right; the main source of standing water in the desert is domestic, abandoned pools (I'm assuming that the 'decorative' lakes maintained by the developments are setup not to encourage any mosquito development).

As I mentioned, I've had only one encounter in my 3 years in Scottsdale (literally, 1 mossie that got inside my place and terrorized me for a few days!). I eat outside all the time, and never get bitten. I'm just now 'enjoying' my second evening in Florida (West Palm Beach area), and I was bitten at least 4 times today ... leg, leg, arm, face. Sadly, looks like circumstances may require me to be here in Florida a lot more ...
Old Jul 30th 2012, 5:01 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

The best thing out there is the propane driven killers. I just can't do it, it seems so unnatural.

Growing up camping in deep woods, nothing works as well as the deep woods formulas of Cutter or Off. I prefer Cutter lotion. Does smell though... the smell of fine camping

Agreed about moderation with young children for sure.

Pete