Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Non-resident be enrolled in US Social security/pensions etc??

Non-resident be enrolled in US Social security/pensions etc??

Old Jul 30th 2012, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

righttoroam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non-resident be enrolled in US Social security/pensions etc??

Quick question for you guys.

I am a non-resident of the US at the moment but will be transferring to the US in the next few months on a permanent transfer. I've been told that I will be started in the US Social Security Plans (Social Security and Medicare), US Pension, US Life Insurance and US Long-term Disability as of September but I may well not be resident in the US on that date.

Is this possible? I am wondering about tax issues and the like. Any advice?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non-resident be enrolled in US Social security/pensions etc??

Firstly you need to be aware that the term "resident" means different things when it comes to immigration and taxation.

If you are working in the US then your employer will deduct both Social Security and Medicare taxes (as well as estimated amounts for State, Federal any local taxes) from your pay check.

Life Insurance and Long Term Disability Insurance (along with Health Insurance) will be part of the benefits package offered by your employer and they will also make deductions to pay for those but, normally, you will have some choices to make regarding precisely what coverage you want to have.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non-resident be enrolled in US Social security/pensions etc??

Originally Posted by righttoroam
Quick question for you guys.

I am a non-resident of the US at the moment but will be transferring to the US in the next few months on a permanent transfer. I've been told that I will be started in the US Social Security Plans (Social Security and Medicare), US Pension, US Life Insurance and US Long-term Disability as of September but I may well not be resident in the US on that date.

Is this possible? I am wondering about tax issues and the like. Any advice?
If you are transferring to the US on a permanent transfer and as of September you will be paid by the US compnay then you will, as far as the IRS is concerned become a resident; and therefore eligible to pay all taxes, Social Security, Medicare taxes etc.

You might well be on vacation at that time, but if officially you have joined the US company and are being paid then you pay taxes.