Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mortgage pests!

Mortgage pests!

Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mortgage pests!

Fines ain't small.....

It's turning into a bad week for DirecTV. Yesterday the satellite broadcaster agreed to pay $5 million to settle a 22-state investigation of its marketing practices and today, the Federal Trade Commission fined the company $5.35 million for violating the national do-not-call registry.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:49 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Fines ain't small.....

It's turning into a bad week for DirecTV. Yesterday the satellite broadcaster agreed to pay $5 million to settle a 22-state investigation of its marketing practices and today, the Federal Trade Commission fined the company $5.35 million for violating the national do-not-call registry.

Oh *****! :scared:

Guess you'll end up footing that bill...
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Ouch.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
You and others who suggest various ways of telling them to get lost are missing the point. I am perfectly capable of telling them to pi$$ off - or, more often, I just put the phone down.

I would like them to stop calling in the first place!!!

I guess working my way through Ray's list is the only way of (possibly) achieving this.

<<<sigh>>>

I also like Rush's suggestion of the second number. Didn't know about that!
I really was polite with them and reminded them of the hefty fine they would receive if they carried on calling.

Like you the calls were from mortgage companies and most of the callers seemed to have an Indian accent.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
It's a little work, but take a note of the company name and then report it on the DNC site or phone.

Thanks
Old Sep 16th 2006, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Any ideas as to how to stop the junk mail?
I wish I did, but sadly no.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 11:13 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think we missed the point, there is only one way, and that is to get the name of the client of the Indian call center, the mortgage company, and file a complaint. I thought that was established.

I presume that these really are on behalf of mortgage companies and not some form of phone phishing.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 12:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We are on the Do Not Call list, but recently we have started to get almost daily calls from people (usually Indian by the sound) offering us 'better' mortgages.

The companies are not any that we have dealings with.

I guess other than telling them to pi$$ off there is little we can do, but these people are becoming a bloody nuisance.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?
Ask them to repeat the company's name, then tell them you are on the Govs. do not call list and ask if they are aware there is a $4K fine for each call they make. Tell them you have their name and no. on your caller ID and that you will report them if they call again. This works for me.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 6:44 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate the junk mail, it is a disgrace that so much waste is permitted.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 5:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

financial institutions and charities are exempt from the DNC....sucks don't it....unless your state has there own version of it.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 5:48 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Lingo has selective call forwarding. I just add repeat offenders to the list. I like to change who I forward to from time to time so they get to speak to other people. At the moment, they're forwarded to my health insurer's 1-800 number. Last month they had the delight of speaking to Marriot reservations.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 6:09 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Lingo has selective call forwarding. I just add repeat offenders to the list. I like to change who I forward to from time to time so they get to speak to other people. At the moment, they're forwarded to my health insurer's 1-800 number. Last month they had the delight of speaking to Marriot reservations.
Once again in English please, David! How does this work exactly? What's Lingo, and what else does it offer besides annoying the pests?
Old Sep 17th 2006, 6:16 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Once again in English please, David! How does this work exactly? What's Lingo, and what else does it offer besides annoying the pests?
Lingo is a VoIP service to replace your home phone. One of the benefits is they throw in all the goodies for free. One of these goodies goes by the name of advanced/selective call forwarding. You give the Lingo computer the following instuction via its web interface:

If callerID 123-456-7890 calls my number, don't bother ringing my phone but forward it instead to 111-222-3333.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 6:17 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

I get very few calls now I've been on the no call list since it started.

However, occasionally one comes through and when I remind them of the no call list they say "Oh, we are not selling anything, we are just conducting a survey". I reply with, "why do you think I'm on the no call list" and they are normally pretty stumped to reply.

The other one I like is to tell them I've just filed for Bankruptcy and all my credit card companies are suing for their money back. The wifes left me and all I have is $2 in my pocket.. "Will that buy what you selling" normally results in a hang-up....
Old Sep 17th 2006, 6:18 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
financial institutions and charities are exempt from the DNC....sucks don't it....unless your state has there own version of it.
Charities are indeed exempt, but I think that 'financial institutions' are still bound by DNC provided you have no business relationship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.