Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moral Dilemma - School !

Moral Dilemma - School !

Old Jan 30th 2013, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moral Dilemma - School !

Originally Posted by MMcD
ok I'll bite
"Lionheart" is..........?
Apologies: this doesn't belong in THIS thread - but as SR knows - other one with JGs comment is deleted - so whats an "inquiring mind" to do?
"Lionheart"?
Yes sorry. I wondered who it was, it wasn't Lionheart but another previous troublemaker using an assumed identity.

Slow day
Old Jan 30th 2013, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes sorry. I wondered who it was, it wasn't Lionheart but another previous troublemaker using an assumed identity.

Slow day
I did wonder...oh well.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 9:53 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

You get between $500 - $700 a month approximately to house and sustain a foster child. so the cost v value is very disproportionate.

Teaching kids to follow through is one thing, but the art of compromise is a life lesson equally of value.

Back to my comments of early, negotiate a project with the school that makes up for the lost 1/2 day and keeps the kids attendance record up.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Moral of this story is not to book a trip until at least a week after the official end of the school year, that way you are pretty certain that any make up days wont affect your trip.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Moral of this story is not to book a trip until at least a week after the official end of the school year, that way you are pretty certain that any make up days wont affect your trip.
At that point, the tickets might be to expensive to afford doing though...

All depends on age though. At highschool, or when one might have exams, it's going to be something having a bigger impact than a middle school day, when we all know that the last week is basically a doss house and nothing really gets done.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 1:16 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Ask the school for the lesson plan for the missed day, and make the kid do it on the flight.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Oh my, my mum must've been terrible. When I was younger we got a couple of days off school to go to Disneyland Florida because the airline tickets were cheaper before the school hols kicked in.

I had a great time the only thing I regret/was a bit gutted about was that I couldn't watch the end of year films in every class and muck about like you do on the last couple of days leading up to the hols, but other than that I don't think it affected me. Went on to college and then managed to get into a decent uni and get out with a good degree. I'm sure we even did it a few times to go to the south of France.

I don't really think there is much of a moral dilemma here. You planned according to what you had been told, they changed their plan, not really a big problem. I think you worry too much.

If you really feel that uncomfortable do as others suggested and write a note the the headmaster or whoever to explain the circumstances. Why don't you make your son a certificate of 100% attendance for your holiday?

Maybe I'm just immoral??

Last edited by Holliver; Jan 31st 2013 at 5:43 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dlake02
So, we've made our decision. And we're in total agreement with the vast majority of BE.

For $700 on the last day of term, for 3 1/2 hours lost non-school, we are barking. When we write to the school asking for forgiveness for him missing the last day, we will explain the reason, and let them join-the-dots.

Now, what shall I spend the $700 (that I don't actually have....) on ?

Answers on a postcard.
Tell your MIL that you're putting it aside for college expenses.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 12:25 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Moral Dilemma - School !

Hmmmm - on this forum for residents in the Maplewood/South Orange and Millburn area of New Jersey (New York metro area) it seems that some parents are happy for their kids to have a 'Mental Health' day off from school!

http://forum.maplewoodonline.com/vc/...days-for-teens