Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moral Dilemma - School !

Moral Dilemma - School !

Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moral Dilemma - School !

Hello collected wisdom of BE.

I find myself in a moral dilemma and need your thoughts.

My son's school district had 5 furlough days planned this year, one for the last day of the school year, Friday 7th June.

Because of this, Thursday 6th June was now a "minimum" day, finishing at 12.35. That meant that we could get back to see family in the UK earlier than usual, so we went ahead and booked flights leaving SFO at 18.50 on the 6th.

Now, we are pretty cross about furlough days - it is a spiteful and petty way of dealing with budget problems. And given that we both come from families stacked full of teachers, we are very much against anyone taking their children out of school for any reason.

So imagine our annoyance when we get a letter from the superintendent of the school district telling us that they'd been able to save money, and the remaining three furlough days for 2012/13 are canceled !

That means that the 7th June is an "end-of-year" day - in other words, 3 1/2 hours tuition.

Quick call to Virgin Atlantic reveals that we CAN change our flights to leave on the Friday, but at a cost - nearly $700. But, it's school so it's important, and if we don't, then our son will loose his 100% attendance record, we will be just-as-bad as the other parents that pull their kids out of school at the drop of a hat, etc, etc.

We are stuck, annoyed, broke, etc.

What Do We Do ? (in other words, what would YOU do ?)

Ta muchly.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moral Dilemma - School !

Perhaps send a letter to the superintendent asking him if his savings include the $700 change fee.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
That means that the 7th June is an "end-of-year" day - in other words, 3 1/2 hours tuition.

Quick call to Virgin Atlantic reveals that we CAN change our flights to leave on the Friday, but at a cost - nearly $700. But, it's school so it's important, and if we don't, then our son will loose his 100% attendance record, we will be just-as-bad as the other parents that pull their kids out of school at the drop of a hat, etc, etc.
It's 3 1/2 hours FFS!!!

Honestly, who cares about a 100% attendence record?

No you aren't - you are doing this to yourself ....

You take the flights as originally planned, your son misses 3 1/2 hours of school, and you get over it!
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

...we will be just-as-bad as the other parents that pull their kids out of school at the drop of a hat, etc, etc.
I wouldn't say this is a "drop of a hat" kind of scenario, though. You made plans based on information which has now changed, which is not your fault. It's costly to change your plans now.

I'd keep him out of school and travel as planned.

I doubt they'll be doing anything extremely important during the last 3.5 hours on the last day of school. They'll just be cleaning out their lockers or passing a yearbook type of thing around for everyone to sign.

Rene
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:55 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Hello collected wisdom of BE.

I find myself in a moral dilemma and need your thoughts.

My son's school district had 5 furlough days planned this year, one for the last day of the school year, Friday 7th June.

Because of this, Thursday 6th June was now a "minimum" day, finishing at 12.35. That meant that we could get back to see family in the UK earlier than usual, so we went ahead and booked flights leaving SFO at 18.50 on the 6th.

Now, we are pretty cross about furlough days - it is a spiteful and petty way of dealing with budget problems. And given that we both come from families stacked full of teachers, we are very much against anyone taking their children out of school for any reason.

So imagine our annoyance when we get a letter from the superintendent of the school district telling us that they'd been able to save money, and the remaining three furlough days for 2012/13 are canceled !

Ta muchly.
It's the last day of school, there won't be any tuition, it'll be 3 1/2 hours of eating candy and watching a movie.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So you pay $700 to change your tickets and preserve your son's 100% attendance record, then he gets sick in May and is off school for 2 days. How mad would you be at having totally wasted $700!
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:57 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite sure it is right to say you have been messed about by the school district, but you made plans based on the info they gave you.

100% attendance is just a number, ignore it.

We had a similar dilemma, my daughters dance recital rehearsal was on a day after school ended, but with snow days it ended up clashing. I decided that the educational value of her seeing that hard work and diligent attendance (to dance) is rewarded was more important than the last day of school.

Also remember that involvement with family is an asset to your child. It is important for her development to know that there are numerous adults involved in his upbringing. (I don't know how old your son is, but are you familiar with the search institute '40 developmental assets', if not take a look, it might make you feel better about a family trip, as an educational tool)

Education is important, and more so than attendance at school; I do not take, taking time off school lightly, but a trip can be more educational than being in school. If you are from a family of educators, you will not have a problem designing a family trip to the UK, that is both family orientated and educational; especially if it is just for the one day.

Last edited by kimilseung; Jan 29th 2013 at 11:10 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So you pay $700 to change your tickets and preserve your son's 100% attendance record, then he gets sick in May and is off school for 2 days. How mad would you be at having totally wasted $700!
So, nice range of responses (and frankly most in keeping with my thoughts). I'm having a hard time justifying $700 for 3 1/2 hours of <non> tuition.

I was thinking of writing to the district superintendent - that whole district school office is a waste of money IMHO. If they sacked the 10 people there that do nothing but order paper-clips then we wouldn't be in this budget mess in the first place....
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Not quite sure it is right to say you have been messed about by the school district, but you made plans based on the info they gave you.

100% attendance is just a number, ignore it.

We had a similar dilemma, my daughters dance recital rehearsal was on a day after school ended, but with snow days it ended up clashing. I decided that the educational value of her seeing that hard work and diligent attendance (to dance) is rewarded was more important than the last day of school.

Also remember that involvement with family is an asset to your child. It is important for her development to know that there are numerous adults involved in his upbringing. (I don't know how old your son is, but are you familiar with the search institute '40 youth developmental assets', if not take a look, it might make you feel better about a family trip, as an educational tool)

Education is important, and more so than attendance at school; I do not take, taking time off school lightly, but a trip can be more educational than being in school. If you are from a family of educators, you will not have a problem designing a family trip to the UK, that is both family orientated and educational; especially if it is just for the one day.
Well, yes, we'll be seeing family in UK/France, etc, etc.

Son (11) is very "results" driven as is the way round here - for him, 100% attendance means a prize, going on stage, and all the ra-ra associated.

My mother-in-law (45 years a teacher) has already told us that she is "expecting" us to delay as it is "WRONG" to miss a day's school...... Shall I send her the bill ?

Families.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:16 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Well, yes, we'll be seeing family in UK/France, etc, etc.

Son (11) is very "results" driven as is the way round here - for him, 100% attendance means a prize, going on stage, and all the ra-ra associated.

My mother-in-law (45 years a teacher) has already told us that she is "expecting" us to delay as it is "WRONG" to miss a day's school...... Shall I send her the bill ?

Families.
I was a teacher once upon a time, and I wonder what a school can house within its walls that can compete educationally, with a trip to Europe, if done with a little consideration for its educational value. But then what can compete with a mother-in-law?
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:18 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Skip the day. He won't miss anything, and it isn't devaluing school - there is a reason for it. And at 11 he really doesn't need to pressure himself so much over the perfection thing - might do him good to see that that sort of detail isn't the be all and end all of achievement.

I've done it with my son, more than once, due to flying to the UK for the short Christmas break. I've explained it to him and to the school. He's never missed anything except pizza and helping the teacher clean up the classroom, and he remains a very conscientious kid who does all his homework on time and gets an A in pretty much everything.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jan 29th 2013 at 11:23 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Tell her that you are going to delay the trip.

Take the trip as planned.

Show up at her place a day late (or, possibly, not at all ...)

Send her the bill for $700.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:22 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

How old is son? Can you just change his ticket and have him fly as unaccompanied minor?

But really the last day is ZERO academic. Heck the last week is like that. Kids will basically be sitting in room staring at clock.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

How old are we talking?

Does 3.5 hours really matter that much? No. They'll just be tossing about watching movies anyway.

Sod it, go on holiday.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kimilseung
But then what can compete with a mother-in-law?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.