Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moral Dilemma - School !

Moral Dilemma - School !

Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moral Dilemma - School !

Seeing as he's only 11 and therefore not in high school yet, I'd definitely let him miss the last "day".
I used to be a school teacher and always told my parents that there's more to education than what can be taught in the classroom.
I would send a polite but firm letter to the school principal explaining that, due to the information given to you by the school board you went ahead and made your transatlantic travel plans. Now, due to the unforeseen changes your child will be unable to attend the final day of school.
I've found that US school principals love it when you suck up to them.....they're not used, at least in my kids school district, to parents writing to them explaining why their kids won't be in school.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Just go with a simple explanation to the school.

No need to drag suggestions about the district office into it.

I think the money was found due to Proposition 30 passing.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:44 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Go early. Spend a portion of the $700 on improving the lot of a child somewhere else in the city, state or world. Your son will miss out on nothing, someone else possibly has a dramatic improvement in their life. You make the entire world a tiny bit better.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 1:20 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Well slattern of a mother that I am I was going to do the same thing (only worse) this summer.
If the house hasn't sold and we are still here I was going to book flights for Dd (age 8) and myself to fly to UK for the hols, I was going to book for the 5th in the evening. She's 2nd grade and the last week of school is full of fun and playing games, signing year books and other fun stuff. She'll miss a half day Weds (pick up after lunch), all of Thursday and half day Friday (mini day)
I have no qualms doing this, I think her moms mental health is more important, that and her Aunt has booked concert tickets for the Sunday for just the two of us and even though I really don't care for the band I want to have some fun for a change.
I will mention it in passing to the teacher and knowing her like I do she will not give a hoot.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
Hello collected wisdom of BE.

I find myself in a moral dilemma and need your thoughts.

My son's school district had 5 furlough days planned this year, one for the last day of the school year, Friday 7th June.

Because of this, Thursday 6th June was now a "minimum" day, finishing at 12.35. That meant that we could get back to see family in the UK earlier than usual, so we went ahead and booked flights leaving SFO at 18.50 on the 6th.

Now, we are pretty cross about furlough days - it is a spiteful and petty way of dealing with budget problems. And given that we both come from families stacked full of teachers, we are very much against anyone taking their children out of school for any reason.

So imagine our annoyance when we get a letter from the superintendent of the school district telling us that they'd been able to save money, and the remaining three furlough days for 2012/13 are canceled !

That means that the 7th June is an "end-of-year" day - in other words, 3 1/2 hours tuition.

Quick call to Virgin Atlantic reveals that we CAN change our flights to leave on the Friday, but at a cost - nearly $700. But, it's school so it's important, and if we don't, then our son will loose his 100% attendance record, we will be just-as-bad as the other parents that pull their kids out of school at the drop of a hat, etc, etc.

We are stuck, annoyed, broke, etc.

What Do We Do ? (in other words, what would YOU do ?)

Ta muchly.
I appreciate that it's important to you and your son to have a 100% attendance, and that school is important enough to spend $700 per person to change tickets.... But, I'm almost 100% sure that any real academic lessons will not be happening and that day will be just a "filler" day.

While we make school high priority in our house and it always will be, I wouldn't change a planned vacation (especially when that day had been previously cancelled!)
Old Jan 30th 2013, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Really? The last day of school is nothing but watching movies in class. There is not any teaching going on, so your son isn't going to miss a thing except socializing.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:17 pm
Nyz
Forum Regular

Nyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, as you are what I would do, I wouldn't even think about it, let alone feel I have a moral dilemma to deal with.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

I would pull him out of school - no questions. If I felt inclined to be awkward, I'd send a letter in saying that I didn't expect his 100% attendance award to be penalized because of the school changing their schedule). My stepdaughter's school has their half days on Monday afternoons, once every 6 weeks or so. Parents are incensed about it (the half days used to be Friday afternoon which was much more convenient for long weekends visiting family etc) and some don't even bother sending their child in, to the point that the school no longer bothers doing anything academic and uses the short days for special assemblies/school dances/ other pointless stuff.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that big a deal really!! 100% attendance in school at age 11 will not even make it on the application forms when he is trying out for colleges!! If he had to take final exams during those last few days, that would be a moral dilemma', but a half day socializing and cleaning classrooms is not worth $700!!!
or even a minutes worth of your time worrying about it.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 1:57 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
It's not that big a deal really!! 100% attendance in school at age 11 will not even make it on the application forms when he is trying out for colleges!! If he had to take final exams during those last few days, that would be a moral dilemma', but a half day socializing and cleaning classrooms is not worth $700!!!
I am with Englishtart, I wouldn't give it a second thought.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 2:18 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I agree. Somehow there seems to be a lot of emphasis on things like that here and all it is, is pressure. It doesn't affect anything in the real world. When I'm looking at job applicants, honestly I'd probably put it in the trash if someone had that on their resume/application form.

Pull them out of school for the day and let them watch movies on the plane the same as they would be if they were at school. Call it plane-schooling if you will!
Old Jan 30th 2013, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Total no-brainer - you made bookings around the schedule you were given, you clearly don't make a habit of it, there's zero chance of giving the wrong 'who gives a monkey's about school?' impression to either your son or the teachers. Completely justifiable, and I hope you have a lovely trip.

<tangential rant>

I strongly dislike 100% attendance awards and fuss; my kids' school does this too and it irritated me at Leavers' Day no end. Best case, you're rewarding a child for lucking into good genetics, which is like getting a certificate and applause for being blond. Worst, and far more likely case, the parent has been sending their sick child to school - really, 7 years of elementary and not one temperature-raising or vomiting virus, ever? - due to lack of child care options; or the very motivated, very studious child has been insisting on attending and the parent has let them rather than stepping up and pointing out it's irresponsible and selfish.

</tangential rant>
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:04 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Pressure for a 100% attendance starts from the school management, it looks good for them.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

In our district, they do lose funding when a child is absent. That puts a lot of pressure on attendance.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Pressure for a 100% attendance starts from the school management, it looks good for them.
Originally Posted by Sally Redux
In our district, they do lose funding when a child is absent. That puts a lot of pressure on attendance.
Why the hell not!! It's not like grades are that important huh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.