Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Monthly budget for 2 people in CA.

Monthly budget for 2 people in CA.

Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Charma1ne will become famous soon enoughCharma1ne will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Monthly budget for 2 people in CA.

Easily done haha

Cx
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:25 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Seriously - check your water consumption - perhaps you have a leak that you don't know about - it doesn't have to be a very big one to really run up the bills.
Two different houses, same kinda bills. The usage allowance before you switch on to high pay is really low.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Your gas and electricity seem really low though.
They are. Other than the computer being on all day, we don't use that much. At this time of year I sit with the door open most of the day, so we don't use heat or air-con and in the winter, it tends to be warm enough in the house with jeans and a sweater on.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
They are. Other than the computer being on all day, we don't use that much. At this time of year I sit with the door open most of the day, so we don't use heat or air-con and in the winter, it tends to be warm enough in the house with jeans and a sweater on.
Wow that's brilliant.

It seems to be hotter than ever this summer, opening a door feels quite literally like opening the oven.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that's brilliant.

It seems to be hotter than ever this summer, opening a door feels quite literally like opening the oven.
Yeah, we don't get much, if any airflow, through our house from opening windows, so it's aircon all the way. And as we're at home all day, it's on all day (and in August it was even coming on at 2am). Apparently you're supposed to change the AC filter at least every 3 months so maybe our bills will come down from the AC not having to struggle to suck air through a dirty filter! It's a lot quieter for starters. Thankfully it's cooling off already (only 91 today), though of course the gas bill rises instead come autumn/winter.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:38 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that's brilliant.

I can't say I'm missing the Valley heat, September always seemed really hot with the winds too, hope it cools down soon. The weather here is perfect for me. Just got back from the walk to school, it's a lovely 77 out with bright blue skies, clear sunshine and a gentle breeze. Although yesterday was exceptionally hot at a high of 89
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say I'm missing the Valley heat, September always seemed really hot with the winds too, hope it cools down soon. The weather here is perfect for me. Just got back from the walk to school, it's a lovely 77 out with bright blue skies, clear sunshine and a gentle breeze. Although yesterday was exceptionally hot at a high of 89
I reckon there will be fires once the Santa Anas start, our 'lawn' in ready to combust by itself.

Yes that climate sounds good, must drop Stanford into the conversation again
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:50 pm

I reckon there will be fires once the Santa Anas start, our 'lawn' in ready to combust by itself.

Yes that climate sounds good, must drop Stanford into the conversation again
yes it was looking a little hay like when we were there last month.

You need to get him up here for a visit
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes it was looking a little hay like when we were there last month.

You need to get him up here for a visit
It looks worse now

Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:54 pm

It looks worse now

Next time you do the uni drop just keep driving North.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Next time you do the uni drop just keep driving North.
I will get organized and do that one of these days.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow that's brilliant.

and in our case if you're indoors its about the same
(we chose to rent for a year) and our A/C is not working at all!
and the homeowner wont repair until her insurance company has had a couple of opinions. Anyways 2 months in and were still with NO A/C!
and my daughter who is 9 cant sleep properly because of the heat
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:24 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
and the homeowner wont repair until her insurance company has had a couple of opinions. Anyways 2 months in and were still with NO A/C!
I'm pretty certain there are (state dependant) legislations that entitle you to up and leave and demand payment back from the realtor (assuming you went through a realtor).

As much as a hassle as that would be, the thought of NO AC is but then I am in Texas and run $300/month on electricity due to AC...
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
Aren't they in breach of the contract waiting that long? And, why is it an insurance job?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't they in breach of the contract waiting that long? And, why is it an insurance job?
+1

I would explain to the landlady that your rent payment is being withheld, pending legal "opinions" on what breaches of contract have taken place.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks everybody! i think i will contact the realtor who we went through to talk about our options. We feel like we're half dying in the house

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.