British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Monthly budget for 2 people in CA. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/monthly-budget-2-people-ca-769873/)

Kisin Aug 29th 2012 12:26 pm

Monthly budget for 2 people in CA.

How much does it cost in California, approximately (without apartment rent, and food) for 900sq foot and estimate $1800 PCM:
  • Gas,
  • Water,
  • Electricity
  • Phone
  • Internet,
  • Mobile,
  • Contents insurance?

Thank you guys for your answers!!! :starsmile:

Bob Aug 29th 2012 1:27 pm

Re: Monthly budget for 2 people in CA.

Probably makes a big difference if you say where in the state you're looking and if you're looking at condo v house type of thing.

Phone/cable/internet is about the same throughout the country give or take, at $100-150 depending on the bundle deal, but it's closer to the highend after taxes etc.

Mobile phone, about the same money.

Car insurance about $1K per 6 months, per car, if getting decent levels of cover and a new car, obviously cheaper if you get second hand etc and if the rate is less, be happy.

Renters insurance, for about $30K of content is probably around $150 a year.

Water is usually included in the rent.

Electric/gas/rubbish collection, no idea, that's pretty much dependent on location.

Plenty of previous threads on the state that have budgets too and then also city-data.com

Kisin Aug 29th 2012 2:19 pm

It is in California- We are moving there and we would like an overall idea about the expenses. Thank you so much Bob for your answer! :)

Mummy in the foothills Aug 29th 2012 2:31 pm

Depends on what area.
San Francisco is more expensive than say Fresno.
Where we are is about medium I think. We are two adults and a small child.
Electric runs us in winter about $50 a month and about$170 in summer.
Gas we pay a set amount year round $50 this changes each year when they re asses how much we used.
Groceries including toiletries and cleaning I spend about $150 a week. I cook from scratch just about every meal every day as we can't afford to eat out often.
Car ins $100 a month ours is cheap.
We have pay as you go phones and spend about $10 a month.
No cable TV can't afford it
High speed Internet and land line phone including 500 mins a month $90 a month (we have no choices around here and so it's more)
Gas for the car I use about $150 a month Dh uses $350 as he commutes to work.
Rent in our area, $1000 to $2000 a month depending on the house and amount of land with it.
House insurance for home and contents $70 a month.
you will be on a really tight budget with only $1800 a month coming in, is that after taxes? Most will go on rent, and then car

Bob Aug 29th 2012 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kisin (Post 10252805)
It is in California- We are moving there and we would like an overall idea about the expenses. Thank you so much Bob for your answer! :)

It's a big bloody state....come on, big difference from wine country, to downtown LA and everywhere in between :/

Kisin Aug 29th 2012 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10252863)
It's a big bloody state....come on, big difference from wine country, to downtown LA and everywhere in between :/

Yes! we will be in Santa Clara County.

GeoffM Aug 29th 2012 3:42 pm

As noted already, prices will vary enormously. Here's ours, in a rented house in the high desert, working from home (no commute) - I worked this out just the other day to see how much we were spending after 5 months here:
  • Gas, (as in car fuel) $300; (as in heating/cooking) $30-$100
  • Water, (we don't pay)
  • Electricity $100 winter / $200 summer, $300 last month after numerous days of 100F+ heat
  • Phone (we don't bother with landline)
  • Internet, $35 but part of TV bundle
  • Mobile, $50 each
  • Contents insurance? $18

N1cky Aug 29th 2012 4:30 pm

We're in Santa Clara County, in a house approx 1,900 sq ft.

Gas and Electric, approx $65 pm
Water, approx $150 pm
iPhone, only 1, the other is a company one, $80 pm
Contents, $18 pm
Cable TV and Internet, $145 pm
Phone, we don't have a home phone

Mummy in the foothills Aug 29th 2012 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Kisin (Post 10252925)
Yes! we will be in Santa Clara County.

Very expensive area Rent is more than your monthly income in a lot of the places

Charma1ne Aug 29th 2012 5:12 pm

Kisin stated in the first post that this was there budget without rent and food so I think it is a realistic one :) $1,800 for only the things stated will make a decent level of living

Cx

md95065 Aug 29th 2012 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 10253122)
Gas and Electric, approx $65 pm
Water, approx $150 pm

Wow!! The fact that you are paying a lot more per month for water than you do for gas and electricity is weird.

Over in Santa Cruz I end up paying an average of about $65 per month for water - the lowest that gas and electric ever gets is about $100 and it can be over $200 in winter (and yes, I probably could and should save some money on that if I improved the insulation in my home).

Just shows you how much things can vary according to exactly where you are and your lifestyle ...

N1cky Aug 29th 2012 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 10253252)
Wow!! The fact that you are paying a lot more per month for water than you do for gas and electricity is weird.

Over in Santa Cruz I end up paying an average of about $65 per month for water - the lowest that gas and electric ever gets is about $100 and it can be over $200 in winter (and yes, I probably could and should save some money on that if I improved the insulation in my home).

Just shows you how much things can vary according to exactly where you are and your lifestyle ...

It is strange, in both houses here our water has been higher than our gas and electric. When you consider that I work full time from home, this is even more surprising.

md95065 Aug 29th 2012 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 10253288)
It is strange, in both houses here our water has been higher than our gas and electric. When you consider that I work full time from home, this is even more surprising.

Seriously - check your water consumption - perhaps you have a leak that you don't know about - it doesn't have to be a very big one to really run up the bills.

Sally Redux Aug 29th 2012 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 10253288)

Your gas and electricity seem really low though.

Mummy in the foothills Aug 29th 2012 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Charma1ne (Post 10253219)
Kisin stated in the first post that this was there budget without rent and food so I think it is a realistic one :) $1,800 for only the things stated will make a decent level of living

Cx

Doh!:lol: I read it as with not without!