Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

money transfer UK to USA-easier way??

money transfer UK to USA-easier way??

Old Mar 6th 2012, 12:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: money transfer UK to USA-easier way??

I use XE and Nat West, no problem.

I did see that Nat West now have an international transfer option on line.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
I have been very pleased with WorldFirst and they transfer the money the same day if actioned during UK bank hours.
But their rate is usually ~1% below the rate I see on the BBC and Forex live feed sites. In the past I have compared their rate to XE.com, but it was often better.

However, I have never tried one of these Forex trading like sites such as that one. Would they offer me a better rate after their commissions and fees?
Interactive Brokers is not a Forex broker, it's meant to be used for purchasing stocks and other products worldwide. However, they have very competitive exchange rates (practically the same as the one you see on Forex live sites), and pay good interest rates on high yielding currencies, such as the AUD. As long as you use no more than one wire per month, there are no commisions or fees. The only downsides:

1. You must maintain a minimum balance of USD 10,000.
2. Unlike for banks, cash is not protected by any kind of deposit insurance. Instead you have to rely on SIPC, which theoretically applies up to USD 250,000 or equivalent, but I'm not sure how it works in practice.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

jukes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
I use XE and Nat West, no problem.

I did see that Nat West now have an international transfer option on line.
yeh, still waiting for my card reader! then I can get on with it, I am assuming the rate will be better transferring from Natwest via FX.com to my Wells Fargo??
My mum transferred direct from HSBC in UK to Wells Fargo, money only took an hour to reach the US. Husband did same but Barclays to Wells Fargo, money takes 5 days to get to US, I think fees may have been same or even less with HSBC (in case anyone is interested!)
Old Mar 8th 2012, 2:38 pm
Waiting for GC

Linda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really nice

DO XE charge a fee for GBP to USD?
Couldn't find info on their site.

We used to use HIFX and 2 days ago I logged in and it told me I couldn't perform an online transfer. I called and they told me it was no longer possible for US residents to transfer GBP to the US- something to do with US regulations.

I think my husband used XE to transfer USD to GBP when I was still in the UK because HIFX international charged, whereas XE didn't, but I seem to remember it took forever, whereas using HIFX GBP to USD the payment to them left LLoyds bank (via online banking) the same day and the $$$ were in the US bank account within 2 or 3 days

We only need GBP to USD now and they're usually less than 1000 GBP.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Jordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really nice

If you use Moneycorps new online system you can pay via debit card which would solve the issue of having to transfer the funds. Everything can be done on line and you will have the advantage of great rates.

Visit the page below for more information.

http://exchangerates.britishexpats.com/
Old Mar 8th 2012, 5:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda44
DO XE charge a fee for GBP to USD?
Couldn't find info on their site.

We used to use HIFX and 2 days ago I logged in and it told me I couldn't perform an online transfer. I called and they told me it was no longer possible for US residents to transfer GBP to the US- something to do with US regulations.

I think my husband used XE to transfer USD to GBP when I was still in the UK because HIFX international charged, whereas XE didn't, but I seem to remember it took forever, whereas using HIFX GBP to USD the payment to them left LLoyds bank (via online banking) the same day and the $$$ were in the US bank account within 2 or 3 days

We only need GBP to USD now and they're usually less than 1000 GBP.
The rate and whether they charge or not, as well as how long it takes all depends on how you want the money transferred.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 5:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jordan Tilley
If you use Moneycorps new online system you can pay via debit card which would solve the issue of having to transfer the funds. Everything can be done on line and you will have the advantage of great rates.

Maybe you could tell BE folks the following:

What are the charges associated with transferring money (if any)?

How far off the GBP-USD mid-rate are your rates, in comparison to other forex companies?

The "cost" of transferring and converting currency depends not just on charges but on the exchange rate. On large amounts, a one or two cent difference in the exchange rate compared to another company can equate to considerably more than the bank charges.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 2:17 am
Waiting for GC

Linda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jordan Tilley

We used to be able to pay HIFX online using a debit card before we changed the address on our UK bank account to a US address.Then we had to make a payment to them via online banking. No hassle really as once you've set the "pay to" account up it's there for future payments.
Is this the same with Moneycorps?
Old Mar 9th 2012, 7:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

? They all charge.

The question is how much, none are charities.