Reload this Page >

Money issue.

Money issue.

Old Oct 21st 2011, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

masih86 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Money issue.

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
To cut a long story short, I need to get some money to my sister in the UK. I was hoping to get her the money from my Barclays bank account but because I don't have the pinsentry thing or a phone banking number they won't let me transfer the money. I think it is stupid that they don't let you do it online!

So now I have to transfer the money from my US bank account, I have never done a money transfer before what is the cheapest/easiest way to do it.

I will be transfering around $500.

Me and my partner send each other money if we need to using paypal, its fairly cheap to do and they convert the currency. I think it costs $2-$3? Plus we both have Iphones so can do it all through the App.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 9:51 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

To cut a long story short, I need to get some money to my sister in the UK. I was hoping to get her the money from my Barclays bank account but because I don't have the pinsentry thing or a phone banking number they won't let me transfer the money. I think it is stupid that they don't let you do it online!

So now I have to transfer the money from my US bank account, I have never done a money transfer before what is the cheapest/easiest way to do it.

I will be transfering around $500.
How urgent is it? You could send a Barclays check... could be there in a few days, and paid in a couple of days after that.

I know what you mean about the whole PINSentry thing - it's been voted most secure online banking but in turn it's also perhaps the most inconvenient.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 12:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
How urgent is it? You could send a Barclays check... could be there in a few days, and paid in a couple of days after that.

I know what you mean about the whole PINSentry thing - it's been voted most secure online banking but in turn it's also perhaps the most inconvenient.
It's already been done...
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Well great minds think alike... I know I brought my cheque book over and I know it is in this house, somewhere, but where is the million dollar question. I have not used it since I moved here.

BTW do you have Pinsentry? Can it be used in the US or would the american ISP be an issue?
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 2:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Well great minds think alike... I know I brought my cheque book over and I know it is in this house, somewhere, but where is the million dollar question. I have not used it since I moved here.

BTW do you have Pinsentry? Can it be used in the US or would the american ISP be an issue?
I have PINSentry and .... I think I used it on my last trip to the States. I'm pretty sure an international ISP wouldn't be an issue. I think that's the whole point of PINSentry - it is such an inconvenient PIA that security is high so they are less likely to worry if you are using anywhere in the world (does Barclays have your US address?)
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I have PINSentry and .... I think I used it on my last trip to the States. I'm pretty sure an international ISP wouldn't be an issue. I think that's the whole point of PINSentry - it is such an inconvenient PIA that security is high so they are less likely to worry if you are using anywhere in the world (does Barclays have your US address?)
No it is still linked to my old UK address.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

stevebar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ash, We used pin sentry two weeks ago in Florida, works fine abroad just put your card in and it generates codes to access higher levels in your account. you can access your account without it but you cannot set up new transfers and payments without using it.
They will only send the pinsentry by post to your accounts address and I have a feeling before long you will also need it to access your online account.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 2:33 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
Xoom.com ?
don't know about them etc but it caught my eye the other day. $5 to send dosh.
We use Xoom.com all the time....it's fast, easy, and that $$ is in the account pronto.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by stevebar
Hi Ash, We used pin sentry two weeks ago in Florida, works fine abroad just put your card in and it generates codes to access higher levels in your account. you can access your account without it but you cannot set up new transfers and payments without using it.
They will only send the pinsentry by post to your accounts address and I have a feeling before long you will also need it to access your online account.
Thanks for the info, I guess I should probably just order one and have my sister mail it over.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 3:30 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Western Union money order no set up probaby a $2 fee buy it at a Safeway the rates are cheaper or a Rite Aid/CVS stick it in the regular mail in the morning and it shoud be there by Friday if not earlier, or send it express for Wednesday....easy no online set up fee's and sounds like a lot less hassle.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 5:55 am
Just Joined

Rikki_v6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Might not help much as your with Barclays but my wife and I have Citibank accounts both in the UK and US. Its simple to transfer money between accounts - the exchange rate is pretty impressive (usually just a fraction short of the currency conversion that day) and the money arrives instantaneously. Its free from UK > US but think it costs $10 to go US > UK.

All I would say about that is that Citi US are really helpful and nice to you. Citi UK is the worst bank I have ever used with awful customer service and so many unusual hoops to jump through for the most simple of tasks. BUT, we transfer money every month so once everything is set up, we never need to call them and its a simple process.