Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Missing Home After 3 Years

Missing Home After 3 Years

Old Jan 3rd 2014, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Missing Home After 3 Years

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
Not sure why you think I have rose colored glasses. Know all about the UK it's good points and bad and I also know the same about the US. It's a personal choice and I don't understand why people on the forum can't just respect that. You may love the US and want to stay but many others don't want to. It's a personal decision.
That is very true but many have left either the US or UK and didn't naturalize thinking that they would never return but later wanted to return but couldn't.

Often when a person lives in a foreign country, many never feel settled after that no matter where they live.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 7:10 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
That is very true but many have left either the US or UK and didn't naturalize thinking that they would never return but later wanted to return but couldn't.

Often when a person lives in a foreign country, many never feel settled after that no matter where they live.
I feel that way. I will always be a Brit. American society feels so foreign to me, though I will have to get used to it as it's going to be my home for the next few years at least.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I feel that way. I will always be a Brit. American society feels so foreign to me, though I will have to get used to it as it's going to be my home for the next few years at least.
There was a thread in the MBTTUK forum recently about a woman who lived in Oz and when her husband lost his job, she was the one that wanted to return to the UK and her husband and kids wanted to remain in Oz. After she got back to the UK, her husband and kids settled in well but she never did and is now considering returning to Oz if he can find a job.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 7:51 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
There was a thread in the MBTTUK forum recently about a woman who lived in Oz and when her husband lost his job, she was the one that wanted to return to the UK and her husband and kids wanted to remain in Oz. After she got back to the UK, her husband and kids settled in well but she never did and is now considering returning to Oz if he can find a job.
I think, like you say, you inadvertently become acclimatized to the environment you're in. You only notice it when you leave. I'll dig out the thread and have a read.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think, like you say, you inadvertently become acclimatized to the environment you're in. You only notice it when you leave. I'll dig out the thread and have a read.
It's this one.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 12:29 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
Not sure why you think I have rose colored glasses. Know all about the UK it's good points and bad and I also know the same about the US. It's a personal choice and I don't understand why people on the forum can't just respect that. You may love the US and want to stay but many others don't want to. It's a personal decision.
Calm down dear - methinks you doth protest too much. I was only indicating that many people become "ping-pong-poms" due to some rose tints - I have seen myself grizzle about something in the US saying (to myself), "this wouldn't happen in the UK" - only to find it happening in the UK the next time I was back there.

Actually I find many things about the US quite mediocre and would have no problem living back in the UK - but I might get a 2-yr permit before heading back there to hedge my bets.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 12:50 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I think, like you say, you inadvertently become acclimatized to the environment you're in. You only notice it when you leave.
True! And this works both ways (original or "home" country and the new foreign place). You never really know what you'll miss--or how much--till you've left your present 'normal'. Some people are surprised by this.

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I was only indicating that many people become "ping-pong-poms" due to some rose tints - I have seen myself grizzle about something in the US saying (to myself), "this wouldn't happen in the UK" - only to find it happening in the UK the next time I was back there.
Also true--most of the world is moving in the same direction, it's just that some places take longer to get there. The things you love/hate about one place (commercial items especially) often spread across national borders. Globalism marches forward.

Last edited by WEBlue; Jan 5th 2014 at 1:19 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 1:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
..... Also true--most of the world is moving in the same direction, it's just that some places take longer to get there. The things you love/hate about one place (commercial items especially) often spread across national borders. Globalism marches forward.
And few countries follow on America's cultural coat tails faster than the UK.