Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Missing Home After 3 Years

Missing Home After 3 Years

Old Jan 2nd 2014, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Mattycee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Missing Home After 3 Years

Hey folks, I have lived in the USA for 3 years, I have just finally got my 10 year green card after a 2 year green card. I find now I have it I have no worry about getting sent home to the UK and I am actually missing home. Weird I know. I love it here but yearn for English food and the general grayness the UK offers. Ugh. Thanks for listening to my moaning.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 2:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Missing Home After 3 Years

Originally Posted by Mattycee View Post
Hey folks, I have lived in the USA for 3 years, I have just finally got my 10 year green card after a 2 year green card. I find now I have it I have no worry about getting sent home to the UK and I am actually missing home. Weird I know. I love it here but yearn for English food and the general grayness the UK offers. Ugh. Thanks for listening to my moaning.
If you're married to a USC, if you can just get through one more year and a half or so, you can be a USC and then go live back in the UK, and travel back and forth at leisure.

If you're not married to a USC, make that another 3.5 years.

Hang in there.

Rene
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Mattycee is an unknown quantity at this point

I am married so I can't keep flitting back and forth, I probably won't become a USC. I am going back in April for 3 weeks so I am hoping this will curb my woes
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 3:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I am married so I can't keep flitting back and forth, I probably won't become a USC.
Oh, I thought you were actually thinking of moving back to the UK at some point down the road, that's why I mentioned it would be helpful to be a USC, so you can freely move back and forth.

Why wouldn't you want to become a USC anyway? You will still remain a UK citizen...you'd become a dual citizen.

Rene
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

And considering potential socio/economic/demographic changes in the future it might be handy having a choice of locations to live in.
The only downside is the tax issues but that's manageable. There's lots of upside.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 7:31 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Hey folks, I have lived in the USA for 3 years, I have just finally got my 10 year green card after a 2 year green card. I find now I have it I have no worry about getting sent home to the UK
You still have that 'worry' if you are convicted of a crime which could lead to a deportation order. For this reason alone you should become a USC as soon as you are able to. You never know what is going to happen further down the line.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 7:46 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Yep having the ability to rob a bank without the risk of deportation has improved my life no end.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 8:01 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
Yep having the ability to rob a bank without the risk of deportation has improved my life no end.
Or, alternatively, being accused of a driving offence which has now become a deport-able offence. <<< Snip >>>

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 2nd 2014 at 9:56 pm. Reason: Offensive verbage removed. Site Rule #1
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 9:27 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace View Post
Or, alternatively, being accused of a driving offence which has now become a deport-able offence. Idiot.
The offenses for which you can be deported are very similar to those that stop you getting a visa in the first place. The list is Immigration & Nationality Act Sec 237 General Classes of Deportable Aliens - http://www.uscis.gov/laws/act. I couldn't see any driving offenses listed.

Try answering without the name calling.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 9:42 pm
Banned

The offenses for which you can be deported are very similar to those that stop you getting a visa in the first place. The list is Immigration & Nationality Act Sec 237 General Classes of Deportable Aliens - http://www.uscis.gov/laws/act. I couldn't see any driving offenses listed.
That list is subject to change and interpretation, as you are WELL aware. That was my point. One does not know what the rules or conditions will be at any future point. <<< Snip >>>

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 2nd 2014 at 9:56 pm. Reason: No name calling, please. Offensive verbage removed. Site Rule #1
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace View Post
That list is subject to change and interpretation, as you are WELL aware. That was my point. One does not know what the rules or conditions will be at any future point.
So at some time in the future they might add driving offenses, because the list I linked to was the current one and I couldn't see any on it.

Indeed who knows what changes might be made in the future and I wasn't disputing that becoming a citizen has its advantages. Just doing so in case you turned to crime and could avoid deportation isn't the most pressing of reasons or one most people are likely to need. Unless the OP is Romanian.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 10:55 pm
Banned

So at some time in the future they might add driving offenses, because the list I linked to was the current one and I couldn't see any on it.

Indeed who knows what changes might be made in the future and I wasn't disputing that becoming a citizen has its advantages. Just doing so in case you turned to crime and could avoid deportation isn't the most pressing of reasons or one most people are likely to need.
No, I agree. However, it should absolutely be one of the considerations, though. Nobody can predict their future.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 11:31 pm
Lt Cl (Rtd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Just doing so in case you turned to crime and could avoid deportation isn't the most pressing of reasons or one most people are likely to need. Unless the OP is Romanian.
There are a number of circumstances where inadvertent actions could lead to criminal prosecution by an overenthusiastic DA. A confrontation with a street robber, certain road traffic accidents e.g. injuring a child near a school or when illegally passing a school bus, a domestic argument leading to an accident, or just a plain botched police investigation when they become convinced that you commited a crime for which you don't have a persuasive alibi, to name but a few.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
There are a number of circumstances where inadvertent actions could lead to criminal prosecution by an overenthusiastic DA. A confrontation with a street robber, certain road traffic accidents e.g. injuring a child near a school or when illegally passing a school bus, a domestic argument leading to an accident, or just a plain botched police investigation when they become convinced that you commited a crime for which you don't have a persuasive alibi, to name but a few.
I'm sure there are. But I still don't see that as a pressing reason to become a citizen, or that very many would become embroiled by such inadvertent actions. But if someone feels more secure knowing they can become a felon and not get deported it has some value.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there are. But I still don't see that as a pressing reason to become a citizen, or that very many would become embroiled by such inadvertent actions. But if someone feels more secure knowing they can become a felon and not get deported it has some value.
You could be at someone's house and they are making and selling meth and the police raid the house while you are there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.