Milwaukee ?

Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

joliwasfi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Milwaukee ?

I have had a job interview with a company just outside Milwaukee and I think they are relatively keen on employing me and sponsoring for the H1-B visa.

I am a UK qualified accountant and would be bringing my wife and 2 yr old son with me (she won't be able to work, sadly).

The salary as they told me was going to be between 70-80k.

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of whether this would be sufficient to live on, poverty line, or a decent living (I obviously understand it depends on circumstance and whether you buy, rent a house etc).

But would a base salary of 70-80k be good for the area ?

Also, if anyone has any resources available then I would be most appreciative of receiving them.

If these questions are answered elsewhere on the site then my apologies, it is just that I have to turn this one around reasonably quickly.

Many thanks in advance

Craig
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:56 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Milwaukee ?

Originally Posted by joliwasfi
I have had a job interview with a company just outside Milwaukee and I think they are relatively keen on employing me and sponsoring for the H1-B visa.

I am a UK qualified accountant and would be bringing my wife and 2 yr old son with me (she won't be able to work, sadly).

The salary as they told me was going to be between 70-80k.

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of whether this would be sufficient to live on, poverty line, or a decent living (I obviously understand it depends on circumstance and whether you buy, rent a house etc).

But would a base salary of 70-80k be good for the area ?

Also, if anyone has any resources available then I would be most appreciative of receiving them.

If these questions are answered elsewhere on the site then my apologies, it is just that I have to turn this one around reasonably quickly.

Many thanks in advance

Craig
For the H-1B, your would be employer won't be able to file an application for you until October this year so you won't be relocating in 2007.

As for salary, check salary.com to get a feel of whether you're being offered a reasonable salary. Be aware that you'll become a US based employee and are likely to be offered US vacation time (not untypically 10 days p/yr but this depends on your industry).

For info on the cost of living in the area you plan to work or live, check http://www.bestplaces.net/

If I were you, I'd also look at average weather patterns in the Milwaukee area. Look at http://www.wunderground.com/

Best of luck,

NC Penguin

Best of luck.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:10 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply NC.

One question though - are you sure about the timing of the H1-B visa ?

I was always of the belief (having unfortunately had to do lots of research on this) that the application process starts in April with employment beginning in October.

So if I have the interview now, get documentation ready for April and submitted early then, assumins USCIS accept, I would begin employment in October 2007.

Am I missing something ?
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
For the H-1B, your would be employer won't be able to file an application for you until October this year so you won't be relocating in 2007.
It's April that they could apply, but the visa wouldn't be issued till Oct if he's eligible.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:25 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply NC.

One question though - are you sure about the timing of the H1-B visa ?

I was always of the belief (having unfortunately had to do lots of research on this) that the application process starts in April with employment beginning in October.

So if I have the interview now, get documentation ready for April and submitted early then, assumins USCIS accept, I would begin employment in October 2007.

Am I missing something ?
I may be mistaken but I don't think the H-1B process runs as smoothly as that. If your employer-to-be is a for profit employer, then that type of application is subject to the annual quota.

I suggest you read up about H-1b at www.uscis.gov.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:34 am
Just Joined

Thanks Bob - that was my impression.

NC, yes it will be part of the annual quota and won't necessarily run smoothly, I was just surprised by your "you wont be relocating in 2007" comment.

I am prepared for the potential rejection for the H1-B. Am hoping though that my skillset, combined with getting the application in early, will stand me in good stead, but you never know.

Thanks for the info again !
Old Jan 31st 2007, 1:16 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I vote with Bob. October 2007 if it all pans out.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:39 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'm with Bob too... because he's right.

Ignore the Penguin
Old Jan 31st 2007, 3:46 am
Just Joined

Anyone have any info or resources on whether $70-80k would be a good enough salary to afford a comfortable (or better) lifestyle for a family of 3 (me, wife and 2 yr old son) ?
Old Jan 31st 2007, 11:19 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

70k a year is about double what most families live on in Milwaukee, where the average is about $39,000. I think 70k would be enough to rent a good place in a good area, but I have not been there in many years. Is your employer paying health insurance?

Take a look at some apartment sites and here is a good list of neighborhoods

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._neighborhoods
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:08 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Milwaukee has a relatively low cost of living and relatively cheap real estate. 70-80 should be sufficient for the three of you to afford to buy a home and car. A good single family in a nice area will probably run about 350K.

I lived there for about a year. Milwaukee seems like a very nice if somewhat small city. It's sort of like a mini-Chicago with a very attractive lakefront, a river through the middle of the city and nice architecture. Like most cities in the Midwest, it has an industrial past and suffered in the 60s and 70s when manufacturing began to fall apart in this country. The city seems to have been able to maintain a solid economy and revitalize the downtown (unlike, say, Detroit). The economy is now probably right around average or above average. It's consistently rated one of the "most livable" cities in the US with good schools etc.

It's definitely in the "Heartland" of America. It's cliched to say but the city is famous for a predominately German and Scandinavian-influenced culture. You can find good beer (and cheap swill) in Milwaukee fairly easily.

One thing: the winters are Siberian around here. It's about 4 degrees F this morning... Spring, Summer and Fall are nice, though.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Damn straight it will be. Even here in the greater New York City area, $70-80,000 is a damn good salary. For Milwaukee, you will be far above average and should not have a problem with affording a house and all the little extras that you wish.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 1:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone have any info or resources on whether $70-80k would be a good enough salary to afford a comfortable (or better) lifestyle for a family of 3 (me, wife and 2 yr old son) ?
Depends on how much medical insurance you get...but you should be all set tbh.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 1:23 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Milwaukee has a relatively low cost of living and relatively cheap real estate. 70-80 should be sufficient for the three of you to afford to buy a home and car. A good single family in a nice area will probably run about 350K.

I lived there for about a year. Milwaukee seems like a very nice if somewhat small city. It's sort of like a mini-Chicago with a very attractive lakefront, a river through the middle of the city and nice architecture. Like most cities in the Midwest, it has an industrial past and suffered in the 60s and 70s when manufacturing began to fall apart in this country. The city seems to have been able to maintain a solid economy and revitalize the downtown (unlike, say, Detroit). The economy is now probably right around average or above average. It's consistently rated one of the "most livable" cities in the US with good schools etc.

It's definitely in the "Heartland" of America. It's cliched to say but the city is famous for a predominately German and Scandinavian-influenced culture. You can find good beer (and cheap swill) in Milwaukee fairly easily.

One thing: the winters are Siberian around here. It's about 4 degrees F this morning... Spring, Summer and Fall are nice, though.
I have a sister living north of there, in Sheboygan (less crime, less ethnic tension).
A decent house, certainly sufficient probably can be found for much less than $350K. I would think that many would be found in the $165-200K range...but then again maybe I don't set my sights high enough.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

on the temperature front... it should definitely be mentioned that although today in Chicago the temp is roughly 4F... with wind chill its pulls that to -8F... thats -20C. anything sticking out gets cold quick and will fall off eventually :-P

This weekend it will be -8F WITHOUT windchill...looking to -20F with... just thought you should be aware... its cold as hell.

on the salary front... 3 of you, you'll be comfortable. Houses are in the range of 150k + but you'll be renting at first (unless you're loaded).

as someone else mentioned... you need to make sure your company provides good family health insurance.... if they don't then thats a HUGE dent in your monthly income.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.