Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Milupa Aptamil - Baby Milk Formula

Milupa Aptamil - Baby Milk Formula

Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

McZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Milupa Aptamil - Baby Milk Formula

Folks,

Can someone please tell me if Aptamil milk (baby formula – Infant milk No.1) is available anywhere in the San Francisco bay area? If not, what is the US alternative/popular brand?

I am thinking of buying six months worth of stock (around 25 boxes, 900g each) and bring it with us next week. Do you think I should declare this to the customs? It's for our newborn and we have previously experienced that changing the milk brand causes a lot of issues so I don’t want to take any risks in an unfamiliar territory.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Milupa Aptamil - Baby Milk Formula

Have you tried Googling to see if you can buy it on-line? Think Amazon.

Yes it should be declared at customs...you should also check on the government's website to see if you can bring it into the country.

Just taken a look and it seems a small quantity is allowed:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 14th 2013 at 6:04 am. Reason: to add link
Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Agree it would be a good idea to bring some supply if the baby is that little and you have had previous problems. We also used Aptamil in the UK! But if you want to try US formula there are a couple of good brands IMO. Just go and read the ingredients and you can see for yourself. Sorry I can't remember what brand(s) we used but I chose them after spending half an hour in the baby aisle reading ingredients! Might have been Enfamil and/or Similac.

I was breastfeeding though, we only used formula when the kids were 6 months +

Also, what about the water here? I have read that there is a lot more chlorine here than in the UK and other stuff too. We don't drink much tap water anymore. Mix the powder with filtered water or bottled? Just something to think about.

Last edited by slummymummy; Mar 14th 2013 at 6:09 am.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slummymummy
Agree it would be a good idea to bring some supply if the baby is that little and you have had previous problems. We also used Aptamil in the UK! But if you want to try US formula there are a couple of good brands IMO. Just go and read the ingredients and you can see for yourself. Sorry I can't remember what brand(s) we used but I chose them after spending half an hour in the baby aisle reading ingredients! Might have been Enfamil and/or Similac.

Also, what about the water here? I have read that there is a lot more chlorine here than in the UK and other stuff too. We don't drink much tap water anymore. Mix the powder with filtered water or bottled? Just something to think about.
We never drink water straight from the tap...far too much chlorine in it for my liking. Filtered or bottled water is the way to go IMO.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I see it on Amazon but also check out Diapers.com which I think it's an Amazon spin off and you usually get a good discount for your first order and there are often good discount codes available and free shipping.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:25 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Milupa Aptamil - Baby Milk Formula

Babies R Us sells the main popular brands in the US, you can buy them in their stores or by mail-order.

My friend preferred to use organic formula, so she used the 'Earth's Best' brand. However it is more expensive and often not sold in many supermarkets or pharmacies; however Babies R Us sells it and it is a bit cheaper on Amazon.com

http://www.toysrus.com/family/index....d=3137626&pg=1 (4 Pages!)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...st%2Caps%2C259

http://www.earthsbest.com/

Hope this helps
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:27 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

We import our baby's milk from britstore.co.uk

By the time you pay for the formula and the postage (2 day delivery) it's about e same price or slightly cheaper than buying US formula.

Be wary of using regular bottled water for babies bottles. Most aren't recommended for babies. We use boiled regular water but there are plenty of baby waters around in the shops.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

McZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Have you tried Googling to see if you can buy it on-line? Think Amazon.
Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I see it on Amazon but also check out Diapers.com which I think it's an Amazon spin off and you usually get a good discount for your first order and there are often good discount codes available and free shipping.
Many thanks for the above, just checked on Amazon and aptamil is available but it's $37 a piece that's almost £25 , that is a rip off!! It’s £9.49 in Tesco and Asda. I didn’t declare anything at the Dubai Airport when we returned from Scotland after the birth in Feb – we brought 15 boxes with us but luckily every major supermarket in Dubai sells Aptamil and its £15 here.

Yes it should be declared at customs...you should also check on the government's website to see if you can bring it into the country.

Just taken a look and it seems a small quantity is allowed:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use
Regarding the customs declaration, many thanks for the link –very useful, much appreciated. I will complete the appropriate forms on arrival. The description regarding the limitation is ambiguous so I’ll bring 8 to 10 boxes and see if they let us through –it’s a bloody pain in the arse to get through the airport protocol after almost 16hrs direct flight with 3 kids.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

I was breastfeeding though, we only used formula when the kids were 6 months +
I have a very considerate wife; she doesn’t want to share her prized asset with anyone else, not even with her own kids.

On a serious note, the supply was plentiful at the birth of our first child but then she lost interest and it just got dried up, i think!– bloody useless, eh! (I hope she is not reading this – I’m really looking forward to the shepherd’s pie for the tea tonight)

We never drink water straight from the tap...far too much chlorine in it for my liking. Filtered or bottled water is the way to go IMO.
Originally Posted by Weeze
We import our baby's milk from britstore.co.uk

By the time you pay for the formula and the postage (2 day delivery) it's about e same price or slightly cheaper than buying US formula.

Be wary of using regular bottled water for babies bottles. Most aren't recommended for babies. We use boiled regular water but there are plenty of baby waters around in the shops.
Many thanks for the heads-up and advice with regards to the water, this is brilliant information. We were under the impression that the tap water in California would be as good as Scotland and we can use the tap water and boil it to use for the formula milk. In Dubai, no one should drink tap water and it’s only used for washing etc – we also use boiled regular water so I guess this will continue in SF –and I thought I could finally afford to upsize the latte
Old Mar 14th 2013, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Babies R Us sells the main popular brands in the US, you can buy them in their stores or by mail-order.

My friend preferred to use organic formula, so she used the 'Earth's Best' brand. However it is more expensive and often not sold in many supermarkets or pharmacies; however Babies R Us sells it and it is a bit cheaper on Amazon.com

http://www.toysrus.com/family/index....d=3137626&pg=1 (4 Pages!)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...st%2Caps%2C259

http://www.earthsbest.com/

Hope this helps
Very very helpful this, much appreciated.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Does boiling get rid of chlorine though? Filter seems good (too).
Old Mar 14th 2013, 7:21 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. The solubility of a gas decreases as temperature increases so the chlorine will simply boil away. It has a boiling point of -29F anyway so once it is no longer soluble, it's gone. Filters never hurt, of course.

For when we used formula (for reference, we used Enfamil, did the job for our needs), we just bought that nursery water which is essentially distilled water, for mixing.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

In Dubai we get a 4 gallon bottled water delivered every 2 days, it's one of the leading brands and it contains:
Sodium: 3.3 mg per litre
Chloride: 1 mg per litre

They sometime run out and we have to buy another brand that contains:
Sodium: 10 mg per litre
Chloride: 47 mg per litre
and some minerals

For the newborn, we boil the above bottled water.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by McZaki
In Dubai we get a 4 gallon bottled water delivered every 2 days, it's one of the leading brands and it contains:
Sodium: 3.3 mg per litre
Chloride: 1 mg per litre

They sometime run out and we have to buy another brand that contains:
Sodium: 10 mg per litre
Chloride: 47 mg per litre
and some minerals

For the newborn, we boil the above bottled water.
I believe boiling water with Sodium and Chloride will just increased the percentage of each but if you are worried about bacteria, then boiling is good.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 8:04 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I believe boiling water with Sodium and Chloride will just increased the percentage of each
Boiling can't actually increase the concentrations but it will not remove sodium, or sodium salts, or indeed any bonded chloride ions. You'd have to actually distill it for that, rather than just boiling it.

However, elemental chlorine will be removed by boiling, due to the effects on solubility as mentioned before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.