Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

mid 20s, single, straight male moving to San Jose... Where should I live??

mid 20s, single, straight male moving to San Jose... Where should I live??

Old Dec 4th 2012, 3:49 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all
Default Re: mid 20s, single, straight male moving to San Jose... Where should I live??

Originally Posted by bmflex
£2.4k + VAT, but the company paid

A small price to pay to get my VISA. Personally, the attitude of the immigration staff was harder to swallow!
Well, you know, petty bureaucrats enjoying their moment and all that! Your lawyer is probably a chain-smoker
Old Dec 4th 2012, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mid 20s, single, straight male moving to San Jose... Where should I live??

And don't be concerned about aggressive contributors...just relax. There's a lot of good info wrapped up in tough love
Old Dec 5th 2012, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CharlieM82
In response to your initial post and assuming you actually sort your visa situation out and move here for one year, I can offer the following advice...!

Mountain View = good sized downtown area. It's where Google employees tend to work so a large population of software engineers. You pay a lot for the accommodation you get.

Sunnyvale = Not a lot going on... at least in the two months I've lived in the South Bay

Campbell = smaller downtown than Mountain View but good nightlife (this is where I've just moved to) and cheaper rent

Los Gatos = Really nice and really expensive!

San Jose = not a lot going on

Santa Clara = pretty cool central location. Not figured out if there's a 'downtown' area yet.

Santana Row = pretty pretentious and expensive. Not seen any 'hot' women in the couple of trips I've made up there. There's a pub with 150 beers on tap that I want to try out though!

Milpitas = avoid!

Cupertino = Good for schools so most people with kids try to get in the catchment area for this

If you figure the visa out and want to touch base send me a message. I'm a 30 year old single straight guy, just moved out here on a 3 year L1A
Some comments on this.

If I were young, single and 20, gay or straight, I'd move to San Francisco and avoid the south Bay entirely. Round here is very-much a dormitory town - people are here for one reason and one reason only, and that's to work.

Most are planning their escape at some point - either to go back to their "home" country, to move schools, buy the house they can't afford here, etc. Plus there are a number of quite solitary ethnic groups - the different groups live parallel lives even to the point where entire teams at work will be from the same part of their home country.

East San Jose is a dump and you should really avoid at all costs. Central San Jose is OK, but has a horrendous homeless issue. Other comments agreed with as above.

Unless you are in one of the newer developments, coming from the UK will be quite a shock into how "dilapidated" the housing stock looks - do not be fooled; many of those have value by their location even though they look like the bungalows at a tired English seaside town.

A friend of mine in her late 20s was shocked at the lack of "anything to do" when she moved over from the UK to the South Bay - she ended up moving up to San Francisco and then commuting down. It is true - this is a mostly work/family area - with house prices up in the millions and many of the Asian families sending their kids to private schools at around $30k/year plus buying extra lessons, the focus here is very, very private. Frankly, they don't do much because even on high tech-industry salaries, at the end of the month there is nothing left in the kitty !