British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   mid 20s, single, straight male moving to San Jose... Where should I live?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/mid-20s-single-straight-male-moving-san-jose-where-should-i-live-773695/)

bmflex Oct 5th 2012 9:42 am

mid 20s, single, straight male moving to San Jose... Where should I live??

Hey all,

I recently accepted a new job working in San Jose for approx 12 months. The office is based next to Middlefield Station, which is approx 2miles north east of Mountain View. I fly out on the 14th October...!! Initially I will be in a hotel for 3 weeks to help me find a place to live.

My question is, I am a fairly young, single male and will be heading out to a city where I know noone. Where would be the best place to live that has a young community where I can go out and potentially meet other people my age?

The company has given me a budget of approx $2k a month for an apartment, I am happy to bump that to $3k if it can find me something decent.

Also, if I were to choose to lease a car whilst out in San Jose, what is the process for UK nationals out in the US? I have a full UK licence with no points or endorsements. Is it simple to lease a car for say 12 months and get insurance?

Thank you all in advance!

mayhemuk Oct 5th 2012 12:30 pm

Re: mid 20s, single, straight male moving to San Jose... Where should I live??

What visa are you on? If it is one that classes you as a resident then you will need to get your CA driving license. Worth doing anyway since it'll make insurance cheaper.

Good luck and enjoy!

(I am older and lived in MArin so not sure what San Jose is like for lads)

Bob Oct 5th 2012 1:06 pm

Aye, the visa makes a difference.

Would want to get a local license anyway....getting a car lease for a year will be well expensive, better off buying a banger, especially as the insurance will be murder. UK driving history means jack here anyway.

Might want to check out meetup.com and search for groups on Facebook, as there's bound to be groups in the areas for ex-pats, young professionals, etc, etc.

Oh and welcome to BE and good luck!

bmflex Oct 5th 2012 1:52 pm

Thank you both for your responses :)

I am initially travelling out on a ester as part of the visa waiver program. This will give me 90 days to get my real visa in place. As I will be working for a UK based firm (client is out in SJ) then I cannot apply for a H1-B so I assume a B1 is my best option. I have emailed the US consulate in London for advice. I am hoping I can get the process kicked off once i'm out there and then schedule a flight back to the UK to attend the interview at the consulate.

Ive heard that Santana Row is apparently a great place to go and meet mid 20s hot women... :)

I was thinking Cupertino would make a nice middle ground between Mountain View and Satana Row / South San Jose... Opinions??

Jerseygirl Oct 5th 2012 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by bmflex (Post 10315108)

I am initially travelling out on a ester as part of the visa waiver program. This will give me 90 days to get my real visa in place. As I will be working for a UK based firm (client is out in SJ) then I cannot apply for a H1-B so I assume a B1 is my best option. I have emailed the US consulate in London for advice. I am hoping I can get the process kicked off once i'm out there and then schedule a flight back to the UK to attend the interview at the consulate.

Ive heard that Santana Row is apparently a great place to go and meet mid 20s hot women... :)

I was thinking Cupertino would make a nice middle ground between Mountain View and Satana Row / South San Jose... Opinions??

That's not going to work I'm afraid....you cannot work whilst on the VWP/ESTA. I suggest you post in our US Immigration forum.

Edit: Second thoughts...I have moved the thread into the US Imm forum.

Hillsforest. Oct 5th 2012 2:00 pm

with all due respect mate, you need a visa first!

esta is not a visa and you cannot work on it. My understanding is a b1 visa is not a working visa either. you cant just move to the usa and start working.

md95065 Oct 5th 2012 3:41 pm

Assuming for now that this is a genuine inquiry and not a troll then both you and your company need to educate yourself about US immigration laws, preferably by retaining the services of a suitably qualified attorney.

The business related activities that you can perform while in the US while using the VWP (admitted for business purposes) or a B1 visa are essentially the same and are very limited. Neither of them allow you to "work" in the US.

It may very well be that there simply isn't a visa that will allow you to do what you want to do.

Applying for a B visa is probably a very bad idea - if (as seems very likely) the application ends up being denied it could affect your ability to use the VWP to travel to the US even for personal non-business reasons.

You also need to be aware that, if you are caught violating US immigration law then the consequences will fall on you not your employer.

ian-mstm Oct 5th 2012 3:48 pm

I fly out on the 14th October...!

Don't do it!

Initially I will be in a hotel for 3 weeks to help me find a place to live.
You can't live in the US without a visa that specifically allows you to do that... and the VWP is not such a visa. In fact, the VWP isn't any sort of visa at all. You are setting yourself up for an immigration nightmare - and you don't even realize it.

I am initially travelling out on a ester as part of the visa waiver program. This will give me 90 days to get my real visa in place.
Respectfully, your intent is not only unrealistic... it's illegal. You are not allowed to work in the US without a visa that will specifically allow you to work... and a B-1 does not allow you to work. It does allow you to attend business meetings, but "business" and "work" are two totally separate things.

I have emailed the US consulate in London for advice.
That's a train wreck waiting to happen!

I suggest you stop thinking with your 20-something hormones, and start looking at your legal and viable options.

ETA: If you have already completed ESTA and it has been approved, you have probably already perjured yourself and, if caught, could now face a lifetime ban from the US.

Ian

sir_eccles Oct 5th 2012 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 10315331)
Assuming for now that this is a genuine inquiry and not a troll then both you and your company need to educate yourself about US immigration laws, preferably by retaining the services of a suitably qualified attorney.

Seconded.

Hillsforest. Oct 5th 2012 4:24 pm

I'm new to all the usa immigration issues, but the first thing I did through my sponsoring company was speak to an immigration attorney to find out if it was possible. Then I did loads of my own research.

It shocks me that people think they can just jump on a flight to the usa and work.

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 5th 2012 5:41 pm

There are usually several threads going from people who think they can.

materialcontroller Oct 5th 2012 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Hillsforest. (Post 10315421)
I'm new to all the usa immigration issues, but the first thing I did through my sponsoring company was speak to an immigration attorney to find out if it was possible. Then I did loads of my own research.

It shocks me that people think they can just jump on a flight to the usa and work.

Why does it shock you?

I've remarked on this before, but British people and other Europeans are used to having the right to live and work in other foreign countries within the EU. Now taking that background into account, it's no surprise to me at all that large numbers of people also expect the same to be true of other places - especially those such as the USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand where the culture closely matches the UK and the predominant language is English.

Bob Oct 5th 2012 6:42 pm

Shame to have wasted your time...you're not working in the US then, not unless you fancy being illegal.

Save the money and don't bother fly out.

mayhemuk Oct 5th 2012 7:03 pm

Even if what you were planning were orthodox and legal (which it isn't) I am not aware of a visa program that can be applied for and issued within the time from of the ESTA/VWP.

If for some reason you have been told by an 'employer' that you can do this make sure you pack your own luggage and don't let it out of your sight for the whole trip :-|

Hillsforest. Oct 5th 2012 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by materialcontroller (Post 10315600)
Why does it shock you?

I've remarked on this before, but British people and other Europeans are used to having the right to live and work in other foreign countries within the EU. Now taking that background into account, it's no surprise to me at all that large numbers of people also expect the same to be true of other places - especially those such as the USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand where the culture closely matches the UK and the predominant language is English.

understand your point, still arrogant to make such assumptions like the OP has imo