Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Michael Moore on US healthcare...

Michael Moore on US healthcare...

Old May 20th 2007, 11:38 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Michael Moore on US healthcare...

Originally Posted by britvic
Are there a lot of fat bugger's at your work place then
A few, but its a pretty young office so not as many as there could be.
I get annoyed with myself if I drink more than 4 cans a week, though did a bit of Brit shopping today and got some lucozade and club orange. Our fizzy drinks aren't nearly as toxic as they don't have that corn syrup crap in them
Old May 20th 2007, 11:39 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hank Hill
Back to healthcare - my medical insurance (which I was required to have as an international student) weasled their way out of paying for my knee surgery from a sports injury and left me with a 12k bill
Not nice - did you have to pay up ??
Old May 21st 2007, 12:07 am
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
my place offers soda too... also a plethora of energy drinks of which some people drink 10+ a day....

diabetes here we come.

personally I drink a healthy combination of water & diet caffeine free coke (its almost water).
I cut out all sugared sodas and drinks. Felt a lot better after I did that. Trying to keep aspartame to a minimum too as i find it gives me a headache if I have too much. Try to cut out caffeine but I have to be able to have a real cup of tea every once in a while . Sticking to water and diet raspberry snapple, yummy!
Old May 21st 2007, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Hank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of light

BigDavyG - I did indeed have to pay up. Fortunately I could afford it, but the insurance company did a real dirty number on me - ****ers Megalife is the one to avoid btw
Old May 21st 2007, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

BULL SHIT.

In the UK 2 years ago... my mums best (58yo) friend found a lump in her breast... went to her docs and was told her next mammogram wasn't for another 6months... come back then.

8months later (2months AFTER the mammogram)... they tell her she has breast cancer, full blown... 18months & 2 mastectomy's later and she's STILL got cancer....

she's been told that if they'd caught it earlier she'd likely have kept both breasts and be cured now... as it is she's still being "treated" which means she has an appointment every 6 weeks.

She will likely die soon...

my mum found a lump in her breast last summer... her mastectomy wasn't until feb just gone... thankfully she's fine.

In the US the story would have gone....

9am - find lump...
if insured
10am - docs for mastectomy
11am - referral to oncologist
2pm - start treatment.
else
die.

I'd rather have the option to pay.
What happens at 9am if you aren't insured? Or you can't pay? Will you sell your house, car????? You will be referred either to a pro bono Dr. who may give you a consultation, but then you are on your own, or you die.

I have seen way too many children especially, die in this country through lack of medical insurance. My fave story was when the child wasn't treated and died in the ER on a ventilator, the donor coordinator then came to ask the family to donate her organs......

Please don't think the treatment here is in any way better than either the UK or any other western country, it is, only if you can afford it, otherwise you will get 20 year old chemo drugs made in India imported here on the cheap, sold on for mega profits.

Spend one day volunteering in a hospital to learn the reality, then make your mind up.
Old May 21st 2007, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
The healthcare is fine, and in my experience much better than the UK. Paying for it really f**king sucks though.
The problem is that because access to it is so problematic financially for so many people, the healthcare isn't fine at all. You really can't separate out the "health" side of healthcare from the financial side when so many people either (i) get bankrupted by healthcare bills - which then impacts health outcomes further down the road, or (ii) don't get access in the first place due to lack of insurance etc.
Old May 21st 2007, 3:12 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...084382,00.html
Old May 21st 2007, 3:51 am
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
I cut out all sugared sodas and drinks. Felt a lot better after I did that. Trying to keep aspartame to a minimum too as i find it gives me a headache if I have too much. Try to cut out caffeine but I have to be able to have a real cup of tea every once in a while . Sticking to water and diet raspberry snapple, yummy!
im so desperate for tea, temporarily living at my inlaws, that i have to boil the water in a microwave and use half and half (as my sister in law drinks milk like its going out of style and theres never any left in the morning.) cant wait for a proper cuppa when i get back. i'm still amazed at how much tea my mum drinks in england. i end up peeing like a horse. (prolly healthy though?) (just thought i'd let you know this)
Old May 21st 2007, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

try getting your <UK> company to pay for it

My company paid for BUPA coverage - the combination of nhs and bupa worked great for us and didnt cost much at all - think it was a 200 allowance against tax.
Old May 21st 2007, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The problem is that because access to it is so problematic financially for so many people, the healthcare isn't fine at all. You really can't separate out the "health" side of healthcare from the financial side when so many people either (i) get bankrupted by healthcare bills - which then impacts health outcomes further down the road, or (ii) don't get access in the first place due to lack of insurance etc.

Truly even for the insured there is often a lack of care as the doctors really aren't free to treat based on clinical knowledge its led by people in suits ensuring that their share holders get top dollars, I work with a couple of doctors who are constantly frustrated by how tied their hands are.
Old May 21st 2007, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
What happens at 9am if you aren't insured?
read my post... it says...

if insured
/// blah blah blah
else
// die

can you tell I'm a programmer?

btw - we're discussing the service itself... everyone eventually pays for their medical coverage either directly, by employer contributions or by taxes. Personally I prefer paying for what I consider to be WAY better than anything I got in the UK.
Old May 21st 2007, 1:41 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leonatlanta
im so desperate for tea, temporarily living at my inlaws, that i have to boil the water in a microwave and use half and half (as my sister in law drinks milk like its going out of style and theres never any left in the morning.) cant wait for a proper cuppa when i get back. i'm still amazed at how much tea my mum drinks in england. i end up peeing like a horse. (prolly healthy though?) (just thought i'd let you know this)
I don't get it... why don't you buy some teabags? Actually yes your mum really is helping herself by drinking so much tea. Just read an article on the beeb website about it yesterday - course can't find it now! - about how tea is better for you than water as it contains antioxidants and flavonoids, and is very much a rehydrating drink. I think most of us knew the last point there. Even on hot Summer days I'd rather have a nice cuppa than a glass of water.
Old May 21st 2007, 2:03 pm
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
I don't get it... why don't you buy some teabags? Actually yes your mum really is helping herself by drinking so much tea. Just read an article on the beeb website about it yesterday - course can't find it now! - about how tea is better for you than water as it contains antioxidants and flavonoids, and is very much a rehydrating drink. I think most of us knew the last point there. Even on hot Summer days I'd rather have a nice cuppa than a glass of water.
oh, whoops, forgot to add in the part about adding tea, hot water and milk, urgh! i have pg tips and tetley tea but the water goes all frothy when i add the tea to the nuked water. we have a kettle but its packed away in the basement waiting delivery to our next house.
Old May 21st 2007, 2:06 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leonatlanta
oh, whoops, forgot to add in the part about adding tea, hot water and milk, urgh! i have pg tips and tetley tea but the water goes all frothy when i add the tea to the nuked water. we have a kettle but its packed away in the basement waiting delivery to our next house.
forget the milk in your tea.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=41352007
Old May 21st 2007, 2:15 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

150 million workers

Let's take a really low figure of $7/hr on average.

8% contributions/month = $90

$90 x 150M = $13.5 Billion monthly

Where does that all go?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.