Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance for visiting parents?

Medical Insurance for visiting parents?

Old Jan 7th 2013, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Insurance for visiting parents?

Originally Posted by lansbury
Did say it wasn't cheap. One visit to a hospital would cost more than that.
Yes easily more than that. Last year my great grandmother came over, perfectly healthy, no pre-existing conditions but still 80 years old. My dad had arranged her travel insurance free of charge through her credit card.

She collapsed at the local mall food court. Taken to the local hospital by ambulance and stayed in three nights. The performed a bunch of tests and must have put her through every machine they had, but they could not find any problems. Her tests results were sent to her GP.

When we checked her in i gave my address but also provided the insurance company details.
several days later i got the bill. $21000
I had to re-provide the credit card insurance underwriters details several times, to the point that i was threatened with collection.
Things eventually got settled and i got a statement with zero balance showing the account had been settled by the insurance company for $9000.

Meanwhile her test results arrived at her GP. He was shocked about all that they had done and said she would have to be on deaths doorstep to get most of those tests done on the NHS.

I always travel with insurance and also make sure that anyone coming to visit from the UK has insurance also.

End of story