Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical coding/billing - which course(s)?

Medical coding/billing - which course(s)?

Old Mar 25th 2013, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medical coding/billing - which course(s)?

We're currently based in MI, but are thinking of relocating to be nearer the in-laws in NC. They live in a tiny little town where the only real skilled jobs seem to be in hospitals/health insurance companies (and a chicken factory ), and I'm looking at retraining to make myself more employable there. I have an analytical/data background and thought medical billing/coding sounded interesting and might be a good option.

Anyone do this kind of work who can offer any useful advice on which qualifications/providers are the best? There do seem to be a lot of jobs out there - how hard is it to get your foot in the door once you've completed your training? It seems like something that can be done remotely quite easily (seen a few ads for remote workers) so is it an industry that's likely to be outsourced abroad in future?
Old Mar 26th 2013, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical coding/billing - which course(s)?

Get trained on ICD-10 and then you'll be in high demand when you're done. Most hospitals, even ones with internal coding departments, have remote coders who do work. The employer provides the equipment. Be warned though, you will be paid by the charts coded and not per hour so you need to be very, very quick and accurate if you want to actually make money doing it. People think it's an easy job, it really isn't and with the future change to ICD-10 it will be even harder.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Duncan, that's really useful. How far are most doctors offices/hospitals with the IC-10 implementation?
Old Mar 26th 2013, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

The providers don't really need to implement much since on their part its mostly training. To that end the progress varies wildly. I would expect that there are still some small practice doctors in the older generation who are unaware of the changes. The EMR and coding software is where the major changes will be so that's where the major implementation will be. Check out CMS as they have the regulations and AHIMA is a good resource for training and commentary.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

When you move to NC you can go through Fayetville Community College and do the Career Step program for under $400. Sydney the coordinator very nice. I am enrolled it it myself! http://ftccmedonline.com/
I don't know about job placement but that is a very inexpensive option!
Feel free to pm me!
Old Mar 27th 2013, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks both for the insight. I will be just down the road from Fayetteville so i'll take a look at that link - thanks again!
Old Mar 27th 2013, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
Thanks both for the insight. I will be just down the road from Fayetteville so i'll take a look at that link - thanks again!
It's 100% online. You just need to live in NC now to enroll. Anyone can enroll through Career Step but it's over $2,000.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

aidenclark723 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with the others. Make the transition to ICD-10 because all hospitals will be following the new set of coding practices after October. Take a look at what CareerStep Corporate Training offers. Their online program is designed to make the transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10 simple and effective. And this is one of the best career path if you wish to work from home. Good luck!
Old Nov 27th 2013, 9:47 am
Just Joined

bristolhs is an unknown quantity at this point

Medical coding and medical billing both are the good courses. it depends which side you choose. if you are good in coding you can choose medical coding. if your good in database maintenance then you can choose the medical billing course