British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Mechanical Engineer Job Offer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/mechanical-engineer-job-offer-819569/)

davids9317 Dec 28th 2013 8:41 pm

Re: Mechanical Engineer Job Offer

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11053799)
Nope. Online dating recognises no frontiers. ..... It worked for me! :)

Would you mind telling me the sequence then? Eg you found someone, went on a few holidays then got a visa (before being married?)…..

notshipman Dec 28th 2013 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11053523)
As a single person you have a option. ;)

Is it maybe optimistic to think that there is always an American willing to marry a single British bloke?

civilservant Dec 28th 2013 9:14 pm

And me! :D

Jerseygirl Dec 28th 2013 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by notshipman (Post 11053837)
Is it maybe optimistic to think that there is always an American willing to marry a single British bloke?

Well there is wotshername from the other thread...:lol:

civilservant Dec 28th 2013 9:29 pm

150m American women, 30m British Men. You do the math Doctor.

Sally Redux Dec 28th 2013 9:32 pm

Usual warning about checking whether the 'dream' is really what you want before landing yourself with a wife as well.

Yorkieabroad Dec 28th 2013 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by notshipman (Post 11053837)

I can recommend a rather dodgy bar in Singapore with tons of them..that's where I met mine.....you've just got to be swift on your toes to turn it from her seeking a UK passport to you becoming a GC holder.....a few weeks in the UK (about 15 miles from Middlesbrough!) in late November worked magically for me:lol:

Pulaski Dec 28th 2013 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by davids9317 (Post 11053806)
Would you mind telling me the sequence then? Eg you found someone, went on a few holidays then got a visa (before being married?)…..

That's it, more or less, 'cept I didn't have (need) a visa because Mrs P came to live in the UK for a couple of years before we moved to the US.

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 11053840)

And several other regulars here, I believe.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11053867)
Usual warning about checking whether the 'dream' is really what you want before landing yourself with a wife as well.

Bah humbug! You only live once, shoot for your dreams, or risk spending the rest of your life wondering what might have been. :frown:

Ulsterman in Texas Dec 28th 2013 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 11053840)

And me too, sort off.

notshipman Dec 28th 2013 11:34 pm

Saw a clip on some docu. few months that showed someone entering the US to meet someone they had only met online! She had no money, was unemployed in her own country but the story was true and they let her in!

Agree on the 5:1 ratio Mr Servant but I not sure a UK accent plus red passport is that much of a winner state side.

Michael Dec 28th 2013 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by notshipman (Post 11053957)
Saw a clip on some docu. few months that showed someone entering the US to meet someone they had only met online! She had no money, was unemployed in her own country but the story was true and they let her in!

Agree on the 5:1 ratio Mr Servant but I not sure a UK accent plus red passport is that much of a winner state side.

A UK accent can get your foot in the door but it can't perform miracles.

Jerseygirl Dec 28th 2013 11:44 pm

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=818848

She's not the first to post on here and I'm sure she won't be the last...

Pulaski Dec 29th 2013 12:04 am

.... but I not sure a UK accent plus red passport is that much of a winner state side.

Averages don't mean much to individual experiences, but annecdotally my experience, and that of several others here, is that you're wrong. ... Of course having a good grasp of English grammar also helps tip the balance. ;)

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 11053962)
A UK accent can get your foot in the door but it can't perform miracles.

Agreed, but if you're smart, educated, with a degree and/or career, a foot in the door is more than half the battle. Everyone needs an ice-breaker angle to strike up a first conversation, and IME having an English accent is as good an icebreaker as any in the US. .... twelve years in the US and it still gets me a conversation I'd estimate once every three weeks on average, but as often as 2-3 times a week even now. Also having a British accent seems to confer an appearance of sophistication and education that may be unwarranted. :o

Weeze Dec 29th 2013 12:23 am

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 11053770)
The grass is pretty green over here, but a lot of it is artificial turf or spray paint.

Regards, JEff

You've clearly never been to Middlesbrough.

Pulaski Dec 29th 2013 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 11053997)
You've clearly never been to Middlesbrough.

..... In December, when the sun sets around 3.45pm, and doesn't rise until almost 8.30am! :(